Ability to read Object/Background tokens's Notes Text unavailable with Vision

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Oneirohero
Kobold

Ability to read Object/Background tokens's Notes Text unavailable with Vision

Post by Oneirohero »

I'm creating a maze map that uses VBLs and Day:Vision so that each player can explore the map with their own Fog-Of-War and be prevented from sharing or see the other players progress through the maze (unless they have line of sight). I've also employed the use of Object-type tokens so that players can read the scenario rules as well as a few interactive/examinable parts of the starting room and maze traps.

The problem I have encountered is that while Object-type tokens can be clicked to be readable with Vision off, Vision:On prevents the players from being able to read the tokens, as if I never entered any Notes-text at all.

Anybody got an idea how to circumvent this issue? I need Vision to be On/Day so that my players can't reveal each other's part of the map, but I also want Object tokens to be readable when clicked, so they can get immediate information on various elements of the map.

♦ Maptool version: 1.11.5
♦ Tested without a Server
♦ Player-View mode used for testing

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Ability to read Object/Background tokens's Notes Text unavailable with Vision

Post by Full Bleed »

Oneirohero wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:54 am
♦ Player-View mode used for testing
Please test with a server running (run two instances of MT on your computer, and connect to your server with the second instance.)

You can't trust what you're seeing with "Player View".
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Oneirohero
Kobold

Re: Ability to read Object/Background tokens's Notes Text unavailable with Vision

Post by Oneirohero »

Full Bleed wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:56 pm
Oneirohero wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:54 am
Please test with a server running (run two instances of MT on your computer, and connect to your server with the second instance.)
Aha! I found the solution thanks to you! It seems tokens-as-objects work properly when the server is running, I can click them in Player view and read the text as normal. When I closed the server down again, the tokens became unclickable while in Token-select mode. Strange glitch, but if it only takes a server in order to get things working properly, that's good enough for me.

As for testing with two computers, that's...not exactly possible under the circumstances, I just have to hope that unclickable object-tokens are some kind of bug with a server not running rather than yet another problem for a player to encounter.

Thank you for the tips Full-Bleed, and hope this thread helps the next person googling the answer to the same problem!

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Oneirohero wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:08 pm

As for testing with two computers, that's...not exactly possible under the circumstances,
You don't need two physical computers. You can run two instances of MapTool on the same computer, and use the second one to connect to the first one as a player (using the LAN tab on Connect to Server).

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Oneirohero wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:08 pm
Thank you for the tips Full-Bleed, and hope this thread helps the next person googling the answer to the same problem!
Glad I could help.

And as taustinoc said (and I mentioned above ;)) you can run two instances of MT on one computer:

1) Start your server.
2) Open a second instance of MT (just launch MT as you normally would without closing down the instance you already have running.)
3) Then File>Connect to Server... use a different Username (and don't use the GM login password)... and select the LAN tab. It should see the server you've started in the other instance.

Then you will have your GM server running and a player client connected and you can switch between the two to make sure things are looking and running as expected.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”