Really weird issue with PCs not being able to see there tokens.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Shadow Wizard
Giant

Really weird issue with PCs not being able to see there tokens.

Post by Shadow Wizard »

Okay, I have to be a total idiot, but I managed to narrow down what is going on, but I don't know why... Some very strange stuff has been happening, but I think it all boils down to what "strangeness" is in this map.. This is the same one I posted on discord.
The "PC" is set as a PC token.. But the players can't see it.
However, make a tiny crack in the vision blocking layer anywhere, and the PCs can see the PC token again.
Box it in again.. And the PCs are unable to see themselves.
What am I doing wrong? It has to be me, I know that. Its not the problem, there is something simple I am doing wrong/not understanding, but I have NO idea what it is.
Please help!
Attachments
Why can't pcs see themselves.cmpgn
(605.33 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Really weird issue with PCs not being able to see there tokens.

Post by wolph42 »

not sure whether this is already tackled on discord, but it sounds to me like broken VBL, happens when polygons intercede eachother and maptool no longer knows what is 'inside' or outside. Removing the vbl an apply one massive block and then cut out the visible parts makes it certain that this does not happen.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Shadow Wizard wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:53 am
Okay, I have to be a total idiot, but I managed to narrow down what is going on, but I don't know why... Some very strange stuff has been happening, but I think it all boils down to what "strangeness" is in this map.. This is the same one I posted on discord.
The "PC" is set as a PC token.. But the players can't see it.
However, make a tiny crack in the vision blocking layer anywhere, and the PCs can see the PC token again.
Box it in again.. And the PCs are unable to see themselves.
What am I doing wrong? It has to be me, I know that. Its not the problem, there is something simple I am doing wrong/not understanding, but I have NO idea what it is.
Please help!
Yeah, it's broken VBL. A rare problem that always throws people off because things just stop "making sense."

I don't see your post on Discord about this, so I'm going to ping kwvanderlinde to take a look at this... if anyone can see where/how the problem happens and come up with a solution it's him. He's the resident VBL guru. Most of the time when we see this problem it's with much more complex VBL, but you've got a really simple example here that should make diagnosing the problem easier.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

kwvanderlinde
Kobold

Post by kwvanderlinde »

Not sure how this VBL was created, but there is a tiny little crack on the interior side of the south-east end of the door. If you erase the MBL and then zoom in a lot at that corner you'll see what I mean. This crack is so small and creates points so close to one another that it's messing up our algorithms that try to tell inside from outside.

I've taken the liberty of opening a bug report for this and am looking into a fix: https://github.com/RPTools/maptool/issues/3466.

metatheurgist
Dragon

Post by metatheurgist »

I don't see your post on Discord about this, so I'm going to ping kwvanderlinde to take a look at this...
https://discord.com/channels/2962308222 ... 9870798898

:P

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

metatheurgist wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:29 pm
I don't see your post on Discord about this, so I'm going to ping kwvanderlinde to take a look at this...
https://discord.com/channels/2962308222 ... 9870798898

:P
Was expecting a recent post of the actual campaign file illustrating the problem... that's the only way to rule out potential user errors in situations like this.

At any rate, after pinging Kwvanderlinde he took a look, bug reported it, diagnosed the problem, and has already put in a PR for it. :shock:

https://github.com/RPTools/maptool/issues/3466
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”