1.12.0, Blurriness

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
RuinAlFresco
Kobold

1.12.0, Blurriness

Post by RuinAlFresco »

So, updated to 1.12.0, and I'm noticing that maps, tokens, objects, just about everything else that appears in the main map window seems to have taken a massive hit in clarity.

I tend to use maps from games and whatnot. The small file sizes make them fairly quick for players to load and the old MapTool scaling kept the details crisp, clean, and visible even when zoomed way in. Now it's all just this gross blurry nonsense. I've tried messing around with the new image quality scaling stuff in the preferences, but none of the settings seem to influence the issue. It's also definitely not any system setting on my OS, since the issue isn't present when I open the same map files with the older MapTool versions. The only thing I've found that works as a sort-of remedy is just manually increasing the size of the image by several times in an image editing program, but that means the file size increases by about the same ratio and begins defeating the purpose.

Is there some setting that I missed that can fix this, or some way to disable whatever's causing it? Or is this just how things are now?
Attachments
comparison.png
comparison.png (295.84 KiB) Viewed 376 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: 1.12.0, Blurriness

Post by aliasmask »

There a new setting under Edit | Preferences | Application - Performance. For pixel art or the "normal" look, set to low. This is a client setting, so each computer will need to have their preference changed. Default is medium. Imo, for most maps this helps with pixilation for things like zoomed in city maps, but for pixel art, not so much.

RuinAlFresco
Kobold

Post by RuinAlFresco »

Tried that, but none of the settings seemed to fix it. Low, Medium, and High all look the same, just blurry and fuzzy.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

RuinAlFresco wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:43 pm
Tried that, but none of the settings seemed to fix it. Low, Medium, and High all look the same, just blurry and fuzzy.
After changing the setting you'll need to reload the campaign or restart MapTool. Worked for me. Not sure if it matters, but I am using 1.12.1 beta-1.

RuinAlFresco
Kobold

Post by RuinAlFresco »

Okay cool, that fixed it, it was just a version issue. Didn't realize that there was another release that specifically fixed this exact thing, Low setting indeed makes all the pixel stuff look like it used to and is even labeled "Low / Pixel Art". Thanks for your help!

Return to “MapTool”