Trigger macro externally, or from webpage.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Shadow Wizard
Giant

Trigger macro externally, or from webpage.

Post by Shadow Wizard »

I have asked similar things a couple of times I think, but this one idea a player had was fantastic! So I thought I would ask here to see if anyone can find a way to do it.
First some background, for those new to my posts, and for the future (if you know already how I use maptool from my previous posts just skip ahead to the next paragraph) I use maptool for my local table top game. I have one large TV in the middle of the table with its own computer connected to a server GM laptop I use to control all the stuff I need to control on the GM side. Because of the fact some players sit on one side of the table, and some sit on the other, some players see the map "upside down." Although not a big deal for viewing, its a nightmare if you want to control a mouse. (try flipping your monitor upside down, and controlling that mouse, up is down, left is right.) so the players have decided to elect one "controller" that sits with a keyboard and mouse and moves the players and executes macros (such as taking damage, etc) for all the players. This of course means getting that players attention to move, or take damage. Usually fine, but can be cumbersome if he is looking something up. Bottom line, this is how my gaming setup is.

Now on to the request. One of my players had made the suggestion "What if we could use our phone to execute macros?" and I thought, this is brilliant! Each player could use his or her phone to somehow execute the macros. Just have a way for the campaign macros to show up in there phone, either with an app, or a web page hosted by one of the maptool computers. Now here is where we separate the "people" that read only 1/2 of a post, think they have the answer and post "maptool does not have an app for phones, and there is no plans to develop one." Because I know this. Which is why I am thinking of, if possible, somehow developing my own front end. Ideally I think, just a locally hosted website that interfaces with maptool. So is there any way to trigger anything from outside maptool to happen within? A function to call, or something that will say "execute this macro?"
I don't think such a way to do this exists, but thought I would ask before posting it in feature requests (I am aware, likely unlikely to be implimented)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Trigger macro externally, or from webpage.

Post by aliasmask »

They would need to connect to MapTool in some way first by logging in. I think someone in the past has done this, but I don't recall the specifics. I know the discussion revolved around headless servers. After a quick search, I found this: viewtopic.php?t=23752

Not sure if it's still up to date or even works given that's it's around 9 years ago.

Return to “MapTool”