Stamp Rotation

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Beefy mongoose
Kobold

Stamp Rotation

Post by Beefy mongoose »

it would be cool to have the abilty to rotate stamps from the side or corner instead of the center every time. This could be usefull for things like doors so when you rotate it it is like on a hinge. this is some thing that can easily be done without this tool but its an idea.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

This isn't a New Tool request it is a feature request for MapTool and as such belongs in the MapTool forum.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the feature request Beefy mongoose. For clarification, which stamps are you referring to ? If you are talking about objects or background stamps, I think right now they always resize from the top left (also a limitation that needs fixing)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I believe he is talking about being able to rotate stamps (of all types?) from other than the center of the object.

Being able to set an arbitrary rotation point is one of those features that have been bandied about before. Don't recall if it has made it onto the WoF.

(Thank you for moving the thread.)

SDShannonS
Giant

Post by SDShannonS »

Someone did a great little tutorial on how to work around this issue for now by creating door stamps that look just as if you're rotating them from the hinges. I want to say it was Dorpond but I could be mistaken. Was a long time ago.

The gist is that you create the stamp as a square with the door starting in the center of the stamp and extending out to the edge instead of going edge to edge. That way when you rotate it, it rotates around the center as normal but the door looks as if it's opening on the hinge.

I'm sure a search will turn up the original instructions but I'm sleepy now and going home.

Shannon
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
- Jayne

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

The trick must be to place the center of rotation in the center of the image, ie have a door where the image is transparent to one side and has the door on the other, placing the hinge in the center of the image.
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Here is the work around for doors:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=909
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Darigaaz
Cave Troll

Post by Darigaaz »

Erm, I dont know about you guys, but I just use the "Layout" window in the Config tab of a stamp door to move its center (I move the stamp to a corner of the cell). It works for me.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Ooops, right, rotation, not scaling. My bad.

I was planning to put in a rotation anchor point, but sounds like Darigaaz has a pretty good work around
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Wow. That was a long time ago Dorpond.

As Dari points out the Layout portion of the Config panel mostly handles the rotation issues except for large tokens or objects.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Edit: (Sorry for posting this, I missed the post above)

Can you just edit the layout of the object such that you move the door all the way down and then rotate that way?
Last edited by Hawke on Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

trevor wrote:I was planning to put in a rotation anchor point, but sounds like Darigaaz has a pretty good work around
Please consider putting in a rotation anchor point. I think it would be a *lot* more intuitive and accurate.

Kzintzi
Giant

Post by Kzintzi »

Hey guys

long time no post - I have a new job and it's been keeping me really busy..

the layout thing is cool, but it doesn't let you pu the edge of a door into the centre of the layout square... other than that it's an awesome quick work around :D

maybe just changing that would solve the whole thing?? at least until build 2.0 :lol:

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

The layout window was a quick implementation but Trevor has plans on making it better. For example, it doesn't work at all with tokens that are designed for a grid200. They are just too big and we can't line them up to the cell..

Trevor is aware of it. Expect more to come.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Return to “MapTool”