Feature Request: Description Field for Token Properties

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
RedDog
Dragon

Feature Request: Description Field for Token Properties

Post by RedDog »

I don't recall seeing this on the Wall o Features. I apologize if I missed it.

Would it be difficult to add a third field to the Token Properties so that when a property is selected on a token, the description appears on the bottom of the EDIT TOKEN window? It looks like that may have been the original intention.

EXAMPLE: #*@PropertyName(ShortName)[Description]

Wordwrapping the text and allowing basic HTML would icing on the cake.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Do you have some examples of descriptions ? IIRC I had something like that initially, but it felt very redundant:

Str

Strength
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

Sure,

The more I understand token Properties and Macros, the more complex builds I can see doing. With that complexity comes difficulty for players who are new to the game we are playing as well as the use of token Properties and Macros.

First, I have to admin that I am formatting my Token Properties like this:
#*@ShortName(Long Name)
Since the first field is what is used by the Token Properties and the Macros, I wanted to keep them as short as possible. It also makes the Token Pop-up look more polished and readable, but sacrifices the readability of the Token Properties.

I am thinking about getting more complex where I spell out various bonuses and penalties within the Token Properties so that a player has building blocks to create property strings. Here is an example based on D&D: 3E.

AttBase1st ()[The base value a character uses for the First attack]
AttBase2nd ()[The base value a character uses for the Second attack]
AttStat ()[The statistic modifier used by the character<br>Examples:<br>Fighter: StrMod<br>Monk: WisMod]
AttFocus()[The bonus received from Weapon Specialization or Point Blank Shot]
AttMag ()[The bonus received if the weapon is Magical]
AttTotal1st (Attack Total: 1st Attack)[The TOTAL attack bonus for the character using the frist attack of this weapon]

On the token, I would assign the following:
AttBase1st: +7
AttBase2nd: +2
AttStat: StrMod
AttFocus: +1
AttMag: +2
AttTotal1st: AttBase1st + AttStat + AttFocus + AttMag
AttTotal2st: AttBase2nd + AttStat + AttFocus + AttMag

The Token Macro would be:
BattleAxe1st: [1d20 + AttTotal1st + VARIABLE]
BattleAxe2nd: [1d20 + AttTotal1st + VARIABLE]

The thought is that once the time is spend building on the front end, theer is very little to do when levels are gained. When a character does cgain a level, they only need to make minor changes such as increasing a stat bonus or Weapon specialization bonus without the need to update Macros and Token Property strings.

The trouble is that the more complex you get, the more difficult it is to remember what some of the shorthand means. My ultimate goal is to put together a pretty complex setup for my players that want all that detail...and then also create a very basic setup that will use a subset of the existing properties for those players that are not interested in that detail.

Since the bottom of the screen looks like it was once for this purpose, I thought I would ask. If you want an example of what I mean, I will be happy to finish a mockup and sent a campaign file. The Token Property List I have is pretty detailed.

I know that your main focus is on pushing out 1.3 and then adding some polish for a release version so you can move on to 1.4. If anything, just keep it in mind.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

I do something similar to that for both 3e (which we will no longer be playing) and 4e. Though I don't use like AttStat, I just have them put in their stats and when I write the macros I use the appropriate bonus. End result is the same, when they level, all they have to do is change what changed in their properties. Or if they pick up a magic weapon, they change their Weapon1Bonus and Weapon1Damage (or 2 or 3 or 4, depending on what weapon they got new).

For example, here's how I've got a macro set up for the ranger power "Nimble Strike" in 4e.

/me fires his <b>Longbow</b> and withdraws! (Shift 1 square before or after your attack) <br> [d20+LevelBonus+DexBonus+MiscAttBonus+Weapon2Bonus] vs AC <br> [Weapon2Damage+DexBonus+MiscDamageBonus] <b>Damage</b>

Also, any properties such as "DexBonus" and "LevelBonus" are derived. The player just puts in their level and stat, then a second property down at the bottom of the list comtains an equation like "(floor((Dex-10) / 2))".

I could still see where a description might be useful, since I had a player or two put in their total skill bonus for their skills, when all I really wanted them to add into the (for example) Perception skill was the +5 or not from trained, and any misc modifiers. People were adding in their WisBonus and LevelBonus, which the macro already does.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Tracker added
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

Thanks Trevor... :)

biodude
Dragon

Property ShortName?

Post by biodude »

Am I right in thinking that the 'ShortName' of a property is only ever used in the statsheet that pops up on a mouse rollover?

I got confused at one point and tried to refer to properties by their ShortNames in macros, which totally doesn't work. At first I thought I could use long names, and declare a short version to use as a variable in macro expressions. In fact, unless a property is actually displayed in the statsheet, I guess one could actually put the Property description in brackets (as the 'ShortName'). If the description (or ShortName) also appeared in the description field at the bottom of the Token properties window when a property is selected, that would also be handy.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Yeah, confused me to at first.

Return to “MapTool”