Map Settings / Preferences pane?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
biodude
Dragon

Map Settings / Preferences pane?

Post by biodude »

I was just wondering if it would be possible to change the background (tiles / map image) on an existing map. I don't mean graphic "tiles" that are placed on the map, I mean the tiled background you choose when you create the map.

There are a few settings for maps (grid type, background, and probably other new ones) that would be handy to be able to access and change for existing maps, mach as you can do with Token properties and Campaign preferences. This is where you could add a preference for how Fog of War is revealed, for example, an probably others.

Also, "light sources" appear to be non-visible in 1.3, even when selected in the menu. I really miss this feature from 1.2, which I used to make my own templates for Area of Effect. I miss the custom colors, etc. :( I don't mind that the light does not respect the Visible Blocking Layer. The product of the 2 determines visibility, anyway. ...

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Being able to update a map after creation is something on the short list. In the mean time, you can edit your campaign file (change the filename to end in .zip) edit the contents.xml file, find your map, and update the image ID (let me know if you need more info on what that means).
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

trevor wrote:Being able to update a map after creation is something on the short list. In the mean time, you can edit your campaign file (change the filename to end in .zip) edit the contents.xml file, find your map, and update the image ID (let me know if you need more info on what that means).
This is good to know, trevor, but I think an easier approach might be to create a "map" layer onto which a map image would be dragged and dropped as well as replaced easily by a new image. Although, your more programmatic method might be better in that it would require no adjustments of the new image.

(Wish I had seen your solution sooner, by the way).

trevor

Post by trevor »

That layer already exists, it's the background layer :)

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

trevor wrote:That layer already exists, it's the background layer :)
Not when I have other background items on the background layer that I want seperate from the main map image.

Edit: There are at least two other threads discussing similar issues. Both of which are related to whether or not the object layer should be over or under the grid, and possibly having two object layers to accomodate both needs. In my opinion, a separate map layer would shift the map image from background to map, then "sub-grid" objects could be on the background layer as appropriate, then "epi-grid" objects would appear on the object layer.
Last edited by Amaril on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

stinking too few layers :)

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

trevor wrote:stinking too few layers :)
Adding the map layer would also resolve dorpond's concern about messing with users' existing campaign file layers. ;)

biodude
Dragon

Post by biodude »

Thanks trevor, that is good to know! :D

I also agree with Amaril: a map layer where the map is moveable (resizable) that you can lock down would be useful, as mentioned in other threads. I think I can wait until v1.4 when layers are more developed for something like this. While I'm on the subject of layers, I wish I could hide the little widget with the layers, as I thought I could do in 1.2, or even have it as a menu, or collapsible toolbar like the chat & macro areas. The ability to move between layers using a keyboard shortcut would also be extremely useful (mod.keys + <or> as one possible example).

I still wish there was a way to bring up and edit the settings for a map: all the stuff you set when creating a new map, plus other features you want to add (Fog behaviour, etc.).

Return to “MapTool”