Mac OSX player cant fully use tokens, other b32 issues...

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
forthebloodisthelife
Kobold

Mac OSX player cant fully use tokens, other b32 issues...

Post by forthebloodisthelife »

Hello,

Testing Maptool 1.3.b32 today and ran into several issues.

My Machine: Ubuntu 8.04 with JRE 6
Friend's Machine: Mac OSX with JRE 6

we managed to successfully connect to eachother without hitch. However, when loading tokens assigned to my friend's control, she was able to move the tokens normally, as well as edit properties of tokens by double clicking on them. What she couldn't do however was right (or option) click on a token to access it's macros and other abilities. Option clicking worked as normal in all other areas save for the map. Is this because I was the GM and players simply cant do that? Is there a way to enable this for my players? Or is this simply a bug of some sort?

Second, I noticed that more than a few times whenever I performed an action that created or called up a window (such as editing token properties or making a new token), the window would appear but be blank, and I'd be unable to do anything but X out of it. Is this normal or fixable? Thanks very much.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

re: MacOS & right-click

I believe that right-click under Java/MacOS uses some other qualifier than the command-click. If you do a search here you should find a couple other references to this. No fix has been found so far.

Of course your Mac friend could always use a mouse with more than one button.

re: Blank windows

Are you running compiz (or a similar window manager)?

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

Yeah, apple click will function as a right click, only for purposes of scrolling the map. If you don't have an external mouse, I've found one method. I think this only works on the Macbook / Macbook Pro, because it needs the two-touch thing...

Apple Menu > System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Trackpad Tab

You'll see an option, "For secondary clicks, place two fingers on the trackpad then click the button." You'll want to put a checkmark in that box. This does exactly what it says, you can now right click by placing two fingers on the trackpad, and clicking the mouse button (not a tap on the pad, you use the actual button).

The only issue I've had with this, is sometimes when I want to select other tokens, I have to click and right click and click frantically until it releases hold of the token...but that shouldn't be too much of an issue for players.

Hope this helps

forthebloodisthelife
Kobold

Post by forthebloodisthelife »

Yes I'm running Compiz fusion with wobbly windows and such. What should I disable or tweak?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

forthebloodisthelife wrote:Yes I'm running Compiz fusion with wobbly windows and such. What should I disable or tweak?

It's the interaction between compiz using the graphics hardware and java trying to use the graphics hardware. Sometimes it'll just hit a conflict. If you turn off compiz then it should be more consistent. However you'll lose the cool eye candy. For me, I don't mind the occasional blank dialog
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

forthebloodisthelife wrote:Yes I'm running Compiz fusion with wobbly windows and such. What should I disable or tweak?

The short answer
There are 2 possible solutions
If you are running java 5 (which this happens a lot under compiz) you can export the following environment variable
export AWT_TOOLKIT="MToolkit"
before running swing programs, but I believe you lose AA fonts in swing if you do this.

Install java 6, the catch is it doesnt seem to be completely resolved until update 10 which is currently in beta. You can get the beta of update 10 here http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp of course standard disclaimers apply for running beta software.

The details of why it happens incase anyone cares.
In the normal run of things XWindows windows are usually reparented by the windows manager (they are given a parent window which the window manger can draw borders etc on). The problem is compiz does not reparent the top level windows, and AWT assumes that if a window has not been reparented by the window manager it is not visible (which is true in other cases) so AWT ignores ConfgiureNotify events (the XWindow event that tells you the window has changed some how) until the toplevel window has been reparented. So when compiz asks the window to redraw itself AWT says nah not going to bother since I am not displayed yet, and you get a lovely blank box. But on the upside drawing the blank box is very fast :)

So there you go, you learn something useless every day

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the update. You'd think that the process would be pretty discrete and happen consistently one way or the other. Must be a race condition or something.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “MapTool”