Another quick macro question

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
thelevitator
Dragon

Another quick macro question

Post by thelevitator »

OK, so I'm totally addicted to token macros now! So here's my question; is there a way to reset modifiers after they are used?

Here's what I'm trying to do. Let's say I create a button called Power Attack, which gives a +1 to attack, a -2 to defense and a +1 to damage. I figured out how to create a button to add all the modifiers (thanks again Craig!), but right now I had to create a button called "reset combat modifiers" to set all of the modifiers back to 0.

So, is there a way to tell MT to add the modifiers to the roll, and then reset the modifiers to 0 after the roll is made? I was wondering if there was some kind of text I could add at the beginning of the weapon attack macro that would reset the combat modifiers to 0 before rolling.
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

There is no way to tell MapTool to reset these variables for you at the end of a macro, but you can do it manually. Just add the assignments at the end of all the macros you want to reset it in,
e.g.

Code: Select all

[mod_att = 0][mod_def = 0][mod_dam=0] 
or what ever the names of these values are. Then when the macro is completed these values will all be 0 again. You can even hide the message about the assignments by making the font size 0

<span style="font-size:0">[mod_att = 0][mod_def = 0][mod_dam=0]</span>

Edited to fix up style because span style was filtered out at fist.

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

That's what I'm doing now. I've created a button called, "Reset Modifiers". It's only one extra step, so that's not the problem. My only concern is remembering to click it after a special move so that it doesn't carry over to the next round in the heat of an encounter. :oops:

James Anthony

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

thelevitator wrote:That's what I'm doing now. I've created a button called, "Reset Modifiers". It's only one extra step, so that's not the problem. My only concern is remembering to click it after a special move so that it doesn't carry over to the next round in the heat of an encounter. :oops:
"Oops sorry pal, I forgot to reset the the kobold's awesomeness bonuses from the last round. But it was a heroic death for you nevertheless... Do you want help with rerolling?"

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

I should of given an example to make it a little clearer.
so

<b>CinEpic Roll =</b> [val = 1dF + 1dF + 1dF + 1dF]<br><br><b> Offensive Combat Skill = </b>[val + Weapon1 + Weapon1Speed + OffensiveStance + OpponentDefensiveStance + Injuries + MultipleOpponents]<br><b>Defensive Combat Skill = </b>[val + Weapon1 + Weapon1Reach + DefensiveStance + Injuries + MultipleOpponents]<br><b>Damage =</b>[val + ODF1 + Strength + Scale + Injuries]<br><br><b>DDF Bludgeoning = </b>[val + Agility + Scale + ArmorBludgeoning + Weapon1Parry + Shield + Injuries]<br><b>DDF Piercing = </b>[val + Agility + Scale + ArmorPiercing + Weapon1Parry + Shield + Injuries]<br><b>DDF Slashing = </b>[val + Agility + ArmorSlashing + Weapon1Parry + Shield + Injuries]
Would become

<b>CinEpic Roll =</b> [val = 1dF + 1dF + 1dF + 1dF]<br><br><b> Offensive Combat Skill = </b>[val + Weapon1 + Weapon1Speed + OffensiveStance + OpponentDefensiveStance + Injuries + MultipleOpponents]<br><b>Defensive Combat Skill = </b>[val + Weapon1 + Weapon1Reach + DefensiveStance + Injuries + MultipleOpponents]<br><b>Damage =</b>[val + ODF1 + Strength + Scale + Injuries]<br><br><b>DDF Bludgeoning = </b>[val + Agility + Scale + ArmorBludgeoning + Weapon1Parry + Shield + Injuries]<br><b>DDF Piercing = </b>[val + Agility + Scale + ArmorPiercing + Weapon1Parry + Shield + Injuries]<br><b>DDF Slashing = </b>[val + Agility + ArmorSlashing + Weapon1Parry + Shield + Injuries]<span style="font-size:0">[OffensiveStance = 0][DefensiveStance = 0]</span>
Assuming that OffensiveStance and DefensiveStance where the ones that you wanted to reset once the macro is done.

That way once you have done the CinEpic Roll the modifiers are all set back to zero and you wont have to remember to click a button to reset them.

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Exactly! :lol: :wink:

James Anthony

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Ooo.....ninja'd by Craig. :) I was going to try something like that last night, but I was tired and afraid I would screw things up. I was thinking I could just put the reset macro at the end, like you did, but I didn't know the correct way to format it.

I look forward to trying this out....like....now! :D

James Anthony

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

He shoots! He scores! It works perfectly Craig! Thanks AGAIN! Ya know, I'm probably going to go broke showing my appreciation to everyone here who has given me so much individual help in designing my own RPG.

What started out as a response to some frustrations with another system has turned into one of the most fun things I've ever done with my RPG hobby.

I can't wait to finish it and try it out! :D

James Anthony

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Hey Ryss, didn't you design the Macro tab? I love the design by the way, and it's going to make running combat for GM's much faster and more organized.

I have a quick question though. It seems that the macros I created in 1.3b32 don't work the same way in 1.3b33. I mean, they work, but when I try to use the Macro Tab, it asks me for the value of every single modifier.

What I did was to create a Generic Token with all of the macros on it, and then just fill in the image and token properties to create new Tokens.

One thing is that new macros work just fine. I tried deleting the macros and recopying and pasting them, but the behavior in the Macro panel is the same.

I could just retype them, but they are really long and I have them working now.

Any ideas on a workaround other than retyping the macros (my laziness is really showing through now :P )?

James Anthony

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Yep, that's a bug that came in with b33.

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

I think I just realized. After re-typing my megamacro, instead of copying and pasting the code, it still didn't recognize the token's values. I'm relieved that it's just a bug and not something I did wrong. The right-click still works fine, so I can keep testing things until they come up with a fix for the Macro Tab.

James Anthony

Return to “MapTool”