Squares, Hexes, or Gridless?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)

What style of maps to you use for your games?

Square Grid
50%
Hex Grid
6%
No Grid
3%
Square + Hex
6%
Hex + No Grid
3%
Square + No Grid
28%
All 3 Styles
3%

Total votes: 32

thelevitator
Dragon

Squares, Hexes, or Gridless?

Post by thelevitator »

I totally screwed up my last poll, so I hope everyone jumps on this one instead. I'm curious to see what other GM's are using for their games.

So, what do you use for your games; Square Grid, Hex Grid, Gridless, or a combination?
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I tend to use squares simply because it's the default. That, and I don't get too much into the minutiae of a game system when it comes to movement and distance. If they're a foot off their range increment, I'm not going to worry about it.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

I use squares generally, but switch to gridless in some close-quarters stuff - for example in a bar, where otherwise you'd have 4 characters round a bar-table taking up 10' by 10' and be unable to see the table.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

I've always preferred gridless combat. Squares and hexes impart too many limitations for my liking.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

I voted square + hex.

In MapTool, I always use squares because most of the maps I'm creating are from existing maps that are already square grids.

On a physical table top, I use both. My Crystal Caste vinyl mat has square on one side and hex on the other side. The hex I use for natural environments (i.e. - outdoors, caverns, etc.) while I use the square for constructed interiors (e.g. - buildings). The only annoying thing is that the square side is rough while the hex side is smooth so when I try to draw on the square side, it's difficult to see and is rough on the marker tip.

I like hexes for determining areas of effect, but some straight lines aren't so straight. It's certainly easier to count diagonal movement.

Squares are nice only because they fit to conventional room shapes.
Last edited by Amaril on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Square because it's the default and teaching idiot players to stop thinking in squares is more of a headache than its worth.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

This is an interesting poll. Very helpful for the developers I am sure. I would have thought Hex would have been more popular than gridless (Did you know that Phergus has Hex's that live in Texas?).

I personally have never used hex for gaming - ever - but still I thought it was more popular than that.

Naryt
Dragon

Post by Naryt »

dorpond wrote:This is an interesting poll. Very helpful for the developers I am sure. I would have thought Hex would have been more popular than gridless (Did you know that Phergus has Hex's that live in Texas?).

I personally have never used hex for gaming - ever - but still I thought it was more popular than that.
Keep in mind that this poll represents 2.5% of our registered forum denizens.
A wandering lost soul

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I picked all three because it varies with the system being used and the maps being used.

Most of the time everything will be done on a hex grid.

Every once in a while I'll run across a map someone else made that will work for me in a session and all too many times those maps have grids on them. Using a hex grid for movement when a square grid is visible is just confusing so I'll use a square grid.

Sometimes it is just easier to not use a grid like in really irregular cavern networks so that's what I do.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

I picked Square gridless because I am GMing D&D 3.5 They seem to like the lack of a grid but still want to follow 3.5 square. Used Hex other system but not playing any of those right now.
--
Big Mac

Return to “MapTool”