Iso maps in maptool

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

That looks truly great. I'll have a shot at that with the game I run later this week. Any chance of giving a few details of the tinkering encessary - or is it all pretty obvious?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Vry, as always, you elevate the game :)

It wouldn't be very hard to draw stamps and tokens in rough order from top to bottom, but would have to put in some code branches to support the two styles of play.

So the real question is, is it worth investing time making MT do the ISO, or investing time in migrating to a formal 3d engine ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

To answer your question Trevor, I think we continue making Maptool 2D the best we can, with all the requested enhancements, with all the wall items, with all the bug fixes.... And when we are done with Maptool 2d, we look at changing to 3d. By then my friends will have hardware acceleration built into their laptops.

There are so many things we are waiting for with the tool we have now. I couldn't imagine starting over.

I vote that we wait until we are sick and tired with Maptool 2d. I think that is far from being soon.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

I think there really are two major things that go into maptool and isofriendly:

1) Making the staggered grid work (easy?)
2) Making the default z-order to have tokens further "south" be in front of ones "north"

2 is interesting because making that change could be entirely universal... just make it a check box. I can't think of a time in any game that Z-order has really mattered too much and as long as you can override with a right click it'd be pretty good.

Am I missing any requirements for basic iso stuff? Seems like it might not be that hard to drop into 1.4 while we save some 3D stuff for 2.0

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I'm with Dorpond.

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

If we are having an informal vote, I would agree with Dorpond. I admit that the Iso-view is beautiful, but I'm sure there are a lot of GM's like me who would rather rely on description than 3d graphics to tell their stories, and mostly use MT to just keep track of everything.

I love beautiful maps and use them whenever I can. However, I've learned that I'm mostly concerned with just keeping track of the basics, and not rely on my maps to account for every little detail.

I can definitely see the advantage of Iso-maps for situations like aerial or underwater combat. It would be great to have the ability to "see" the encounter more accurately in those situations.

I think I've regressed a bit back to a more "old school" approach, where I prefer the players needing to rely on listening to descriptions and asking questions than just looking over a highly detailed map. That seems to help me encourage more role playing and puts the zoom lens where the characters want it, giving them more power to "direct" the scene.

I really do love those pretty maps though! :D
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Phergus wrote:I'm with Dorpond.
Um Phergus... That better not be your hand on my arse... :lol: :P

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

:oops: This is a little embarrassing......That was mine Dorpond. :wink: :lol:

James Anthony

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

thelevitator wrote::oops: This is a little embarrassing......That was mine Dorpond. :wink: :lol:
Well, in that case... 8) :lol:

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

*wonders whose arse his hand is on* :lol:

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Ummm......that would be me....... :lol:

James Anthony

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Seems to me isometric would be fairly easy, given Vry's example of how the hex pathing works very well with isometric squares. You could probably use iso maps with the current hex grid without any alterations.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Given the choice was between maptool doing iso and maptool going 3D I'd vote for iso every time.

I think the iso shows something unique that no other (currently available :) ) VTT can achieve and would provide a real standout wow factor for people looking at it for the first time. I think iso=eye candy and as such is worth a little bit of time.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Tough call trev. But I'd say wrap up 1.3 and make 3d engine the starting point of 1.4. Seems to be right in line and a flagship feature for the "make maptools pretty" version.

Micco
Giant

Post by Micco »

Wow. Tough call. Is it possible to begin an "early fork" now of what it would take to get 3d? In my line of business it is fairly typical to have one development team working on implementing/improving the current version of a product line while a separate team begins to scope out the next generation.

It would seem to make sense to me to create a small team to evaluate the 3d implementation (MapTool V2 ?) while the rest of the community continues to improve MapTool V1. It would likely take a year or more to get a usable 3d version anyway, so we <i>don't</i> want to stop improvements while the initial 3d version was completed.

I'd rather get a true 3d engine than begin work on a 2.5d engine.

Return to “MapTool”