Drag and Drop Problem

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Arael
Cave Troll

Drag and Drop Problem

Post by Arael »

Hi...

I've been using for a time the RP Tools and I love them. I use them for my D&D 4 ed campaign but I have a issue about some of them...

I run them on Ubuntu 8.04 with Compiz and File Explorer Nautilus (Before using the linux I used windows and I didn''t have problem at all) and the problem is I can't drag and drop anything...

No tokens on Maptool
No images on Tokentool

I don't know what could be...
I haven't tried turning off the compiz.. I'll try it later today and will tell u if that fixed the problem or not...

In the mean while... someone knows if there's another solution?

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Re: Drag and Drop Problem

Post by Orchard »

Arael wrote:Hi...

I've been using for a time the RP Tools and I love them. I use them for my D&D 4 ed campaign but I have a issue about some of them...

I run them on Ubuntu 8.04 with Compiz and File Explorer Nautilus (Before using the linux I used windows and I didn''t have problem at all) and the problem is I can't drag and drop anything...

No tokens on Maptool
No images on Tokentool

I don't know what could be...
I haven't tried turning off the compiz.. I'll try it later today and will tell u if that fixed the problem or not...

In the mean while... someone knows if there's another solution?
I've heard a number of reports of problems with Compiz, so that's a possible culprit. With that lone tidbit, I'll let Azhrei or one of the other linux experts come in here and offer advice. Me, I love linux, but don't currently have it RUNNING! (dangit all)
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

Arael
Cave Troll

Post by Arael »

Ok... Like I said I made the test turning off the Compiz later yesterday and the result where:

I did the test with the last developer versions of both programs

- The Tokentool drag and drop did work with and without the Compiz

- The Maptool drag and drop didn't work with or without the Compiz

So...

The Tokentool is working really good... Now I just have the problem with the maptool...

I can live without draging my saved tokens... :(

But It will be good if some1 can help me to find a solution

Thanks for all the help

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Arael wrote:Ok... Like I said I made the test turning off the Compiz later yesterday and the result where:

I did the test with the last developer versions of both programs

- The Tokentool drag and drop did work with and without the Compiz

- The Maptool drag and drop didn't work with or without the Compiz

So...

The Tokentool is working really good... Now I just have the problem with the maptool...

I can live without draging my saved tokens... :(

But It will be good if some1 can help me to find a solution

Thanks for all the help
Huh...well, it's beyond my ability to assist...sorry.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Sorry, I'm not currently using Compiz so I can't address that portion of your system configuration.

Drag-n-drop is implemented by the X Window server -- it asks the drag source whether the object can be dragged, and if it can then it sends a message to the drop target when an object is dropped. So let's take this one step at a time.

Can you drag a file from Nautilus to other applications? You said "yes" for TokenTool, so apparently Nautilus supports being a "drag source".

Since you can drop into TokenTool, the Java virtual machine that you're running apparently supports being a drop target (or "drop zone").

(To clarify: you are dragging FROM Nautilus and TO TokenTool, right? And you're trying to drag FROM Nautilus TO MapTool, right?)

Since the drag source and drop targets appear to be working, there must be some other issue. (We know that MapTool supports being a drop target since it works for other people. :))

Other information to help resolve this:

What version of Java are you running? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit? Is it the Sun version or something else?

Are you current with Ubuntu updates?

What are the file types that you're trying to drag? MapTool supports only JPEG, PNG, and RPTOK file types.

Those are the only things I can think of that might affect it.

noelvh
Cave Troll

Post by noelvh »

I run Kubuntu 8.04 and have it running compiz. I use a tool called compiz switcher to turn off compiz before I run map tool. I also have the latest version of Java I think 6 u7 from the java web page. It took some work to get it installed but it work just fine.

I hope it works out for you.

Noel Vh

BigO
Dragon

Post by BigO »

Man, there's a whole lot of Linux users on our boards. That's way cool.
--O

I am a small and fragile flower.
http://maptool.rocks.andyousuck.com

noelvh
Cave Troll

Post by noelvh »

I work on windows all day as a tech support for a large drug company. I deal with the viruss and broken programs, lost data, and tons of other fun windows stuff. So when I get home I just want some thing that works, and works every time I turn it on. I dose take a bit to get the hang of it but I have not had a virus, or needed to rebuild my systems for over 2 years (how long I have been using Linux Full time).

Noel Vh
Linux! It just works!

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

noelvh wrote:I work on windows all day as a tech support for a large drug company. I deal with the viruss and broken programs, lost data, and tons of other fun windows stuff. So when I get home I just want some thing that works, and works every time I turn it on. I dose take a bit to get the hang of it but I have not had a virus, or needed to rebuild my systems for over 2 years (how long I have been using Linux Full time).

Noel Vh
Linux! It just works!
That's funny...I wonder how many windows tech support folks do the same thing...

syntruth
Giant

Post by syntruth »

-Almost- all I know are like that. The exception is the one guy who only got into IT/Computers because "it paid well at the time". He's so far from being a computer geek that it's sad. He has trouble troubleshooting software and hardware issues, which to me is kinda sad. He has never seen Star Wars either...any of them...which is even more sad. >.>

Anyways! I used Compiz and MapTool just fine in the past on the latest Ubuntu, and I can't remember any issues with drag and drop. :( Though for resource reasons, I moved to using FluxBox ('cause the hardware was old) and Thunar file browser -- had no issues with that and everything ran faster.

That said, I'm now using my MacBook, for all the same reasons: I do tech support/IT at work, I go home...I don't want to worry about all the krunk that comes with using Winblows.

BigO
Dragon

Post by BigO »

It appears that some of you may be interested in the Linux thread I just started here:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=5680
--O

I am a small and fragile flower.
http://maptool.rocks.andyousuck.com

Arael
Cave Troll

Post by Arael »

Ok...

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 up to date

Sun Java 6 32-bit (sun-java6-bin)

I'm trying to drag some RPTOK I saved with the same version of MapTool I'm dropping to

If u need more information just ask

After reading your post Azhrei I try with a PNG file, the file works great it drags and drop perfectly

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, thanks.

If the PNG works, then it indicates that the communication between the file manager and Java 6 is working fine (which was to be expected, since TokenTool worked).

You said that you created the RPTOK file using the same version of MapTool. You're sure about that? Because if MapTool is given an RPTOK file that it can't read, you get no errors or anything to indicate why the drop didn't work. (I've seen this myself, and it's a bit annoying. It even happens if I try to drag from the Image Explorer on the left side onto the map, if the RPTOK is somehow damaged or unusable.)

You can try that last part I just mentioned ... add a directory to your image path using File -> Add Library Repository... (or whatever the option is) and give it the directory that contains your RPTOK file.

You should be able to see the token image in the Image Explorer, but when you drag from there to the map it shouldn't work -- well, it shouldn't work if the drag-n-drop from Nautilus doesn't work.

If the drag doesn't work, then it's a problem with the RPTOK file. Try creating another one and dragging that one...

Arael
Cave Troll

Post by Arael »

:D :D :D

Thanks a lot Azhrei the Add Libraty Repo did the trick, now I can finally use saved character and monster tokens.

Again... Thanks a lot

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

You're welcome! But that shouldn't have worked! :(

Anything that appears and works from a Repository should work when you use drag-n-drop.

Can you send me a copy of the RPTOK file in question? An email is fine. Thanks. :)

Return to “MapTool”