4E Framework?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Blakey
Dragon

4E Framework?

Post by Blakey »

Hi Guys,

No doubt this is out there somewhere but I can't find it after a cursory search.

Has anyone developed a simple D&D 4E framework for campaigns yet? I'm thinking of a set of properties for tokens (both PC and NPC), plus some states to match the 4E states and maybe a bunch of simple macros.

I'm just starting out doing this myself and was thinking someone is bound to have spent the time and effort on this before me. I suspect anything already done is way more complex than what I'm after but I'd be very interested in anything anyone has to show me.

Any ideas?

Cheers gang
Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Re: 4E Framework?

Post by palmer »

Define "Simple"

Mine is simple in use and output... but it takes serious work to not only get set up, but to continue on.
Monsters are easy easy, but PC powers require some serious code mojo to set them up.

It's also incomplete... it doesn't cover all the bases, including some core things like 2 weapon rangers and off hand weapons.

I've been debating putting out a super simple framework though... basically just my monster code for layers as well. I'll see about that when I have some time.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Okay, I play Face to Face using a projector. So for me simple is REALLY simple. I suspect my best approach is to code this myself if nothing else but so I get used to how to do it.

I am thinking I need a few properties on ALL tokens:
HP
MaxHP
Bloodied (calculated as MaxHP/2)
Damage Taken (I may want to show the PCs how much damage a monster has taken - again this is calculated as MaxHP-HP).
AC
Fort
Ref
Will
Speed
APs (how many APS)
Saves (how many pluses to saves)

The only thing which would be visible to players is Damage Taken.

Then, Id like a set of "States" to match those in the 4E system. E.g. Bloodied, dazed, Sleep, Immobilized, Weakened, etc.

Then I'd like a couple of Macros. Nothing more complex than "Damage" - click this macro, enter some damage and have it adjust the HP and maybe make the token Bloodied or Dead if necessary.

That is all I'm after. As I say, perhaps I'd best do it myself. :D

Cheers!

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Give me half an hour, and I'll get you some campaign properties that include those props as well as all the states.

I'll leave the macros to you for the time being :)

Half an hour, tops. Watch this space.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

OK, I lied, 45 minutes.
Had to work around an old bug, and then decided to make the campaign self-documented :)

http://www.shinraonline.com/palmer/maptool/blakey.cmpgn

This campaign was made in b50 and thus can't be used in an older version, but works fine in newer ones.

Everything you need to know is actually IN the file.

I added some properties above what you asked for... won't hurt anything not to use them :)

There's an example token on there, with stats, macros (didn't know if you intended to use them) and some damage and states, so you can play with the state functions.
Note that Apply Marks also does Curses and Quarries.

Most properties are set to "DM Display only" under the assumption that you will use a second instance of MapTool for the player view - in player view, only DamageTaken is displayed. Edit if needed.

The token setup works equally well for players and monsters. Just be sure to set the players to PC and give them vision.

Light sources are set up assuming maps are made with "Distance Per Cell" set to 1.

And now I'm off to bed, but I'll be back tomorrow night with answers to any questions you have!

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Wow.

That sounds perfect for what I need. I'm currently at work (UK here) so will test this out this evening.

Thanks heaps!!

Blakey

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Okay, there is probably more here than I need but this is great stuff, thanks. It also gives me the chance to dig into the Macros and see how they work with real examples which I can fiddle with.

How do I take this set of Camapign Macros and use them on other Campaigns? I know I can Export the Campaign Properties. Will that export the Macros as well?

Cheers!
Blakey

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Post by hyperactiveChipmunk »

Blakey wrote:Okay, there is probably more here than I need but this is great stuff, thanks. It also gives me the chance to dig into the Macros and see how they work with real examples which I can fiddle with.

How do I take this set of Camapign Macros and use them on other Campaigns? I know I can Export the Campaign Properties. Will that export the Macros as well?

Cheers!
Blakey
Macros and macro sets can be exported to a file, as well.

-hC

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

hyperactiveChipmunk wrote:Macros and macro sets can be exported to a file, as well.

-hC
Got ya.

Do they not go with the Campaign Properties, when you export them, by default then?

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Post by hyperactiveChipmunk »

Blakey wrote:
hyperactiveChipmunk wrote:Macros and macro sets can be exported to a file, as well.

-hC
Got ya.

Do they not go with the Campaign Properties, when you export them, by default then?
I believe they do not. You must export both individually.

-hC

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

If you want the properties and macros, you have two choices.

A: Export the Properties. Then export the macros. They are separate.

B: Just keep reusing the cmpgn as it is. Load it up, add a new map, and go from there. This will keep the properties and macros intact.

Either option works. If you've already started making maps, then you'll need to use Option A.

------

I included lots of extra stuff because, well, I already had it in place and it was a simple copypaste job for the most part :)

It's all easily edited out or not used.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

This has been so helpful for me - thanks heaps. I've had a good read through all the macros and understand what they do. I've tweaked it in places and am now using this as my basic set of macros and properties for my 4E campaign.

Thanks so much!
Blakey

kmfdm_32
Cave Troll

Post by kmfdm_32 »

Ok. Quick question....how do I import/export a macro set?? I think that I know how to export, but I want to make sure that I'm doing it correctly. And I have absolutely no clue on how to import macros. Token macros and campaign macros. Totally clueless.

BTW: Blakey, I really appreciate your answers on the previous forum thread that I started, but then I found your framework for 4e. Decided to try using that instead of making my own. A lot simpler.....if I can figure out how to import the campaign macros that you've made. Lawl.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Import/Export macros - just right click on empty space in any macro panel (Global, Campaign, Selection or Impersonate) and choose Import or Export :)

-----

Glad the macros are understandable. You're doing what I did... taking someone else's code and tweaking it for your purposes. Most of it should be easy to work with.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

palmer wrote:Glad the macros are understandable. You're doing what I did... taking someone else's code and tweaking it for your purposes. Most of it should be easy to work with.
Yeah, I hacked a bit of code out (well, commented it out anyway) as I didn't want my players knowing how many HP the monsters have left. :D

Really useful code though, thanks again.

Return to “MapTool”