[FREQ 1.4] Cell Based Interaction instead of Image-based

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Hawke
Great Wyrm

[FREQ 1.4] Cell Based Interaction instead of Image-based

Post by Hawke »

Right now when you add an image to a token and modify it so that it "bleeds" outside the cell (square or hex), the entire image is selectable. A good example of this are the tokens included with MapTool that devin made - you can select the pieces of the weapon that are well outside the bounds of the single cell

I vote for an early option in 1.4 for "cell-based" tokens rather than image based

-States align to the cell based on token size
-Health bars align to cell instead of the image
-Only the cell is clickable (instead of the bleeding-out-edges)
-Only the cell is used to determine token visibility.

I think an option works pretty well, but I think overall the cell-based is more intuitive.

Discuss!

Edit: Addition:
The ability to automatically size token images to full size in the token layout panel. I create my top down tokens pre-sized to scale, and while I'd like to be able to use 'sized' tokens, I use Free Size because resizing tokens in the token layout panel is too clumsy.
Last edited by Hawke on Sun May 03, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phergus
Deity

Re: [FREQ 1.4] Cell Based Interaction instead of Image-based

Post by Phergus »

This would make it much easier to select the top-down tokens when they are close to each other.

It also would look a lot better IMO.

I think it would probably be important to make this a token only thing. i.e. it wouldn't affect object or background stamps.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Actually, it would be nice if it were an option for objects as well. It would make snapping objects to the grid and selecting them much easier. Especially things like the tilesets torston and I created.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Phergus wrote:I think it would probably be important to make this a token only thing. i.e. it wouldn't affect object or background stamps.
Agreed.

I can't think of a reason why you'd want it on objects... and if you really needed an object why not make it a token?

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Hawke wrote:
Phergus wrote:I think it would probably be important to make this a token only thing. i.e. it wouldn't affect object or background stamps.
Agreed.

I can't think of a reason why you'd want it on objects... and if you really needed an object why not make it a token?
Layering objects on the background and objects layer, while making them easier to click and move around.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

It's would be easy enough to use the bounding rectangle for freesize images and the user-specified size for everything else.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Azhrei wrote:It's would be easy enough to use the bounding rectangle for freesize images and the user-specified size for everything else.
Makes sense... if you have a wall piece and want it to bleed out but still be a medium unit, I think that works well. If you want freesize you're essentially ignoring the cells at that point anyway.

The question is, what sort of other features/tweaks would be needed to make it easy and quick to use something like torstan's dungeon tileset? Something tells me that easier/discrete input for the token-bleeding (the layout panel if you edit the token's properties) so that you could easily reproduce something. Know it needs to bleed out 2x from the initial cell, there should be an easy way to make that happen without eyeballing while still allowing an eyeball for things like player tokens.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

The needs for manipulating tokens and those for object & background stamps, while similar, are not the same. I think we need to be careful in trying to come up with a solution to address both sets of needs.

Tokens are manipulated by the players and GM constantly throughout a game and, in most systems, have a defined footprint that represents the area they occupy. Manipulating them in accordance with their defined footprint instead of actual image size makes sense and will certainly make it easier for users.

Background stamps are already designed to match a grid and objects are also normally made to match a specific scale. There would be little reason to adjust them when used as designed. They are also rarely moved or selected during actual play.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

I disagree. I created a dungeon on the fly as I ran a game recently, using my tileset. While my tiles are created to match the grid size I use, it would be a lot easier to manipulate the layered overlays I use to create the illusion of elevation and height if I could manipulate the footprint of the tiles.

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

I don't know about you guys, but I would find an additional feature very useful coupled with the features mentioned here.

The ability to automatically size token images to full size in the token layout panel. I create my top down tokens pre-sized to scale, and while I'd like to be able to use 'sized' tokens, I use Free Size because resizing tokens in the token layout panel is too clumsy.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

zEal wrote:The ability to automatically size token images to full size in the token layout panel. I create my top down tokens pre-sized to scale, and while I'd like to be able to use 'sized' tokens, I use Free Size because resizing tokens in the token layout panel is too clumsy.
Yeah... I'm wondering if the layout panel had a button to reset as well as discrete buttons or editing entries... maybe something similar to the nudging of TokenTool? I'd also like to see the layout section include a large grid so it's easier to figure out what it's going to look like relative to the size of other tokens.

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Post by hyperactiveChipmunk »

No no no!!! Please, no! I spend SO much time piecing together maps from tons of mostly-transparent images, and it's a source of constant frustration because of the difficulty from overlapping transparent areas. The problem is so bad that I'm forced to save after nearly every change I make because there's a dangerously high chance that I'll accidentally rotate or move a piece that I just spent 5 minutes placing, despite clicking exactly where I intended.

Which reminds me...a "lock" option would be SO very nice to have. When locked, an image would not be selectable except by the map explorer.

-hC

Return to “MapTool”