MT and linux

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
chaoz
Cave Troll

MT and linux

Post by chaoz »

It seems to me the launcher doesn't work in linux? I had to use the jar file which gives 64M only...

Any help is welcome! Thanks!

Chaoz

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Re: MT and linux

Post by hyperactiveChipmunk »

Just edit the shell script/command you use to launch the .jar. One of the options set on the command line is the allotted memory. For instance, for maximum 1024MB memory and 2M stack size:

Code: Select all

java -Xmx1024M -Xss2M -jar maptool-*.jar run
-hC

mccord42
Cave Troll

Post by mccord42 »

You also have to set the "execute" flag on the .sh file. If you are using Ubuntu you can do this by right clicking on the Launch MapTool.sh and click on Properties then in the Properties window, click on the Permissions tab and make sure that the Execute checkbox is checked.

Akodo Makama
Giant

Post by Akodo Makama »

mccord42 wrote:You also have to set the "execute" flag on the .sh file. If you are using Ubuntu you can do this by right clicking on the Launch MapTool.sh and click on Properties then in the Properties window, click on the Permissions tab and make sure that the Execute checkbox is checked.
From the shell/terminal, the command

chmod +x <name of file>

also sets the executable flag for the script, usable on any version of Linux. See man chmod for details.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Akodo Makama wrote:From the shell/terminal, the command

chmod +x <name of file>

also sets the executable flag for the script, usable on any version of Linux. See man chmod for details.
I usually recommend:

chmod a+x filename

because using "a+x" is portable to more different variations of the Unix operating system than just Linux.

noelvh
Cave Troll

Post by noelvh »

I put the maptool file in the root of my home user folder, rename the .sh file to map.sh. Then I open a terminal and run the command "sh map.sh". This is after making the file executable. I use ubuntu 9.4

Noel

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

noelvh wrote:I put the maptool file in the root of my home user folder, rename the .sh file to map.sh. Then I open a terminal and run the command "sh map.sh". This is after making the file executable. I use ubuntu 9.4

Noel
Yeah, if you execute the shell directly (sh) and then provide it the name of the script on the command line (map.sh or what have you), then the script doesn't need to be made executable at all.

I have written a script to execute on the RPTools main web site that will unpack the two Un*x scripts (the *.sh and *.command files), add execute permission, then put them back into the ZIP file. My tests show that this preserves the execute permission (as shown both by executing zipinfo -l on the ZIP file and by simply downloading the file and unpacking it). (I'm working on a way for this to be automatically executed on new ZIP files.)

In addition, I sent Trevor a ZIP file to use as a template that already has the correct permissions on the files -- if he adds to the ZIP, the permissions on the existing files should be preserved. So the previous paragraph is mostly a stopgap until the build process takes an existing ZIP file into account or some other technique is found.

Return to “MapTool”