Error opening chartool

Discussion of and support for Heroes.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

technomage
Kobold

Error opening chartool

Post by technomage »

I'm getting an endless loop of the following error when I run chartool when I'm not connected to the internet:

"Could not copy file http://rptools.net/tools/inittool/gameS ... properties No remote game settings files will be available."

The error comes up multiple times--seemingly endlessly--and the only way to do anything is to use System Monitor to end or kill the entire java process. It only happens when hero.rpgame is present in the chartool games folder.

I'm using chartool-1.0.b15, but it also happened with b13.

Platform:
* Ubuntu 10.04 with all available updates (kernel Linux 2.6.32-37-generic, Gnome 2.30.2)
* Toshiba Sattelite [model], Pentium(R) Dual CPU 2x1.60GHz
* 2.0 GiB RAM
* Java version 1.6.0.20, OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.2)

If I need to, I can switch from OpenJDK to the "official" Java runtime from Sun/Oracle. The other RPTool apps work--even Maptool, though I need to use a 3M stack size.

Any advice? (Let me also add my voice to those who wish to see a Hero 6th Edition!)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Error opening chartool

Post by Azhrei »

technomage wrote:I'm getting an endless loop of the following error when I run chartool when I'm not connected to the internet:
I'll have to let jay speak to the CT issue as I'm not very familiar with it.
If I need to, I can switch from OpenJDK to the "official" Java runtime from Sun/Oracle. The other RPTool apps work--even Maptool, though I need to use a 3M stack size.
Interesting. OpenJDK seems to have the most problems for MapTool on Ubuntu and yet you say it works for you. Did you have to do any particular tweaking to make that happen? I seem to recall that one fix was to remove/comment out the entry for 127.0.1.1 in the /etc/hosts file. But it'd be great if the OpenJDK on Ubuntu was 100% compatible with the Sun JRE. :)

technomage
Kobold

Post by technomage »

Azhrei wrote:
technomage wrote:I'm getting an endless loop of the following error when I run chartool when I'm not connected to the internet:
I'll have to let jay speak to the CT issue as I'm not very familiar with it.
Fair enough.
Interesting. OpenJDK seems to have the most problems for MapTool on Ubuntu and yet you say it works for you. Did you have to do any particular tweaking to make that happen? I seem to recall that one fix was to remove/comment out the entry for 127.0.1.1 in the /etc/hosts file. But it'd be great if the OpenJDK on Ubuntu was 100% compatible with the Sun JRE. :)[/quote]
It worked for me out of the box--I'm using the Hero 6th ed Campaign set.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

technomage wrote:It worked for me out of the box--I'm using the Hero 6th ed Campaign set.
Well, whatever the problems were the Ubuntu folks must have gotten things straightened out. That's good to know. :)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

"Could not copy file http://rptools.net/tools/inittool/gameS ... properties No remote game settings files will be available."

The error comes up multiple times--seemingly endlessly--and the only way to do anything is to use System Monitor to end or kill the entire java process. It only happens when hero.rpgame is present in the chartool games folder.
I've not seen that problem before. I don't have a linux box to test it with either. The link that you posted is not correct it should be http://rptools.net/tools/inittool/gameS ... properties. Are you running from web start? If so, try downloading the zip file, unzipping it and then running the included script. If that doesn't work, try downloading the http://rptools.net/tools/inittool/gameS ... ero.rpgame file to your machine and then accessing it directly withing CT using the Browse button off of the Game Settings dialog.

technomage
Kobold

Post by technomage »

jay wrote:I've not seen that problem before. I don't have a linux box to test it with either. The link that you posted is not correct it should be http://rptools.net/tools/inittool/gameS ... properties. Are you running from web start? If so, try downloading the zip file, unzipping it and then running the included script. If that doesn't work, try downloading the http://rptools.net/tools/inittool/gameS ... ero.rpgame file to your machine and then accessing it directly withing CT using the Browse button off of the Game Settings dialog.
Sorry for the delay--I've been offline for a while.

I had been using the package downloaded and installed, rather than using the webstart, but I had NOT been using the included script. I usually start with the .jar file directly, and I do have the rpgame file installed locally.

I do NOT receive the same error, or any error, when I have an internet connection.

If you don't have a linux box to test with, don't sweat it too much: yes, it would be great to have it offline-ready as well as online, but "has a linux box but no internet connection" is going to be a very small share of the market. Might want to put a note in the readme file, but beyond that, it's all good.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

technomage wrote:I do NOT receive the same error, or any error, when I have an internet connection.
Ah. So the code is probably trying to grab the file and getting a network error, so it fails but doesn't set a flag to not check again in the future. I'm not familiar with the CharTool code base but I'd be willing to bet that won't be too tough.

The question is, how should it work? Should it popup the dialog the first time to run CT and then not display it again? But the next time you run the tool it should show up again?

Or maybe it should set a timer so that if the file isn't there on the first attempt it simply won't try again for another 5 minutes, or 10 minutes, or whatever? (The first approach is better, IMO.)

Return to “Support: Hero System”