[HarnMaster 3] Automatic MapTool Framework

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
milspec
Kobold

[HarnMaster 3] Automatic MapTool Framework

Post by milspec »

I am releasing my HarnMaster MapTools framework. It is based on the HarnMaster 3 RPG, released in 2003. It will work with any recent version of the free virtual tabletop application MapTool. Download the campaign file and open it directly with MapTools:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14502040/harn_default_01.cmpgn

The ideal MapTools layout is a vertical chat window on the left side of the screen, and vertical selection, campaign and init windows tabbed over each other on the right. See the screenshot for an example:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14502040/harn_screenshot.jpg

The example fight in the screenshot shows the basic combat flow:

1. Attacker chooses attack
2. Defender chooses defense
3. Results are compares
4. Damage is applied (if applicable)

I have automated as much of that as possible. For example, the "Compare Results" step is automatically populated with the results of the attack and defense actions, in this case an attacker Melee Critical Success and a defender Block Critical Failure. The "Resolve Impact" step is automatically populated with the correct damage total, damage type and hit location. This makes those two steps very fast, but allows each to be manually adjusted if needed.

The framework includes the house rules I use, mostly based on Bill Gant's HarnMaster Advanced 1.4. I can't list them all here, they are sprinkled throughout the tool. It is possible to change to your own houserules by editing the macro files directly.

The framework uses buttons on the tokens. To see the actions for a token click on it once and look at the "selection" window. Here is a brief rundown:

- Init / Move: Shows the current initative and move values for the token
- Display Equipment: Send an overview of the token's equipment to chat so others can see the details

- Skill Tests: Placeholder

- Armed Attack / Defense
- Unarmed Attack / Defense
- Close attack / Defense (when in close mode)
- Compare Results: Click after each attack and defense has been entered
- Combat Tests: Common combat tests like shock, fumble, stumble, etc
- Resolve Impact: Click after the outcome has been calcuated in order to apply the damage to the token
- Injury Recovery: Click to run through the healing macros

- Piety: Run through the Piety sub-menu including:
- Display Piety
- Add Piety
- Prayer
- Invocation
- Intervention

There are additional buttons for the GM on the "Campaign" tab, including:

- Calc Init: manually select all tokens for init then click this to calculate the init and display on the init tab
- Reset Wounds: impersonate a token, then click this to reset all wounds, fatigue, weapon damage, etc
- Generate NPC: output NPC stats to chat (experimental)
- Ranked NPC: impersonate the "A" token and click this. It will create a duplicate token that is a combat ready NPC of a certain power rank

The framework uses icons to track player states, which is the screenshot are bleeding, prone and unconscious. It also uses a red bar on the left to track wound level and a blue bar on the right to track fatigue.

I hope this is useful to someone else. If I get a lot of interest or questions I will post a brief example video showing how to use the tool. If you are curious download MapTools and this framework and start clicking buttons. :-)

milspec
Attachments
harn_screenshot.jpg
harn_screenshot.jpg (180.66 KiB) Viewed 7698 times

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Automatic MapTool Framework for HarnMaster 3

Post by Azhrei »

Very cool!

(I'm moving this to the framework forum, though.)

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

I'ts long time ago I played Harnmaster but I always liked the system. I'm very happy to see represented here :-)

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

HarnMaster is such a logical system to have a framework for. HarnWorld is maps, maps, maps and then some more maps! A perfect match!
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

Cahnwyr
Kobold

Post by Cahnwyr »

I am very new to all of this but when I extracted the files there was no campaign file to load?
Please advise as I am very keen to see what You have downe and try to adapt it to harnmaster gold and out house rules.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Your browser probably screwed you up and renamed the file. The framework files should end in the .cmpgn file name extension. Just start up MapTool and point it to that file when you use File > Open Campaign...

Cahnwyr
Kobold

Post by Cahnwyr »

Humm, My confusion lingers. I have downloaded it from the above link 3 times and each time I get a zip file named harn_default_01.zip which when extracted gives Me a folder named harn_default_01. Inside of that folder is an assests folder and two files; content.xml and properties.xml. No .cmpgn files at all, including inside of the assets folder. I also looked specifily in My maptools' various other folders just incase it for some reason went into one of them and nothing.

It could verywell be user error but I simply can't seem to get the file nor am I aware of how else to do it. I have just tried running maptools and trying to open the framework file to no avail. I am very keen on accessing it if at all possible as I have played Harnmaster for over a dcade and am now attempting to get some of My various old groupmembers involved in an online campaign. Any further assistance would be dearly appriciated. :D

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Cahnwyr wrote:Humm, My confusion lingers. I have downloaded it from the above link 3 times and each time I get a zip file named harn_default_01.zip which when extracted gives Me a folder named harn_default_01. Inside of that folder is an assests folder and two files; content.xml and properties.xml. No .cmpgn files at all, including inside of the assets folder. I also looked specifily in My maptools' various other folders just incase it for some reason went into one of them and nothing.
Read my post again. In particular the very first sentence:

Your browser probably screwed you up and renamed the file.

Your browser is trying to do you a favor and it's renaming the .cmpgn file to .zip when it SHOULDN'T DO THAT. Even if it does, DO NOT EXTRACT THE ZIP FILE.

If you can't figure out how to rename the file back the way it should be, just leave it like it is and open the .zip file using MapTool's File > Open Campaign... dialog. You may have to choose All Files from the dropdown box in the dialog in order to see the filename in the list.

(But you really should consider getting at least a half-way decent web browser.)

Cahnwyr
Kobold

Post by Cahnwyr »

Ok, first off thank You. I used veiw all files to open it and it loads perfectly. The main confusion is when reading another post on how to pull framework files it stated to extract them so when I got a file named .zip I asumed that was right and that what You wre refering to was one of the .xml files. I'm guessing that post was perhaps specific to a particular framework. But in any case it does work now. I tried renaming it but got a warning it could become unstable so I just left it alone and have resaved it through map tools and that worked.

Thanks for the info as it was important to Me to try to get this up and running as a main source to start on our group.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Cahnwyr wrote:Ok, first off thank You. I used veiw all files to open it and it loads perfectly.
Excellent!

Now go download a better browser (Chrome, Opera, Firefox, or Safari -- basically anything else) and get rid of the one you're using now. :roll: 8)

jackson.p
Kobold

Post by jackson.p »

Great work milspec! I will be using this as soon as possible :wink:

BaltoMan
Kobold

Re: [HarnMaster 3] Automatic MapTool Framework

Post by BaltoMan »

Does anyone have this framework? The dropbox link is broken.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: [HarnMaster 3] Automatic MapTool Framework

Post by Full Bleed »

BaltoMan wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:57 pm
Does anyone have this framework? The dropbox link is broken.
Dropbox links that old tend to be broken.

Your best bets--

1) Given how old this thread is, send a direct message to the OP. If you're lucky... they're still using the same email address, have PM notifications turned on, and still have the campaign somewhere.

2) If that doesn't work, and if you're really interested, you could also PM some of the other respondents in the thread that indicated that they were going to check it out... maybe they have it.

3) Lastly, you could go to the dropbox help forum and ask for help to see if there is some way that an old link like that can be converted into a new link. If the file was public, their CS might actually be able to search for it and provide an updated link. This, of course, assumes that the file still exists on Dropbox.

All of that said, as Alias mentioned, 10 years is a long time. That framework might not even work with the latest MT... but, who knows, if you get a hold of another user they may have been updating and using it for years and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck!
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”