Hero 6th Edition Framework

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
nolgroth
Dragon

Hero 6th Edition Framework

Post by nolgroth »

Hello Herophiles,

Last version (from me)

Current Changes/Fixes

+ Added StunX output to Quick Damage if the Damage Type is Killing. It always calculated StunX. Now it just shows the value in the Chat output.
+ Added Half Die to Normal Damage rolls in the Quick Damage.
+ Reworked the Generic Die Roller in Quick Rolls to handle half dice.
+ Fixed the incorrect Macro call in the Quick END Cost macro
+ Changed the Prefabricated Attacks Builder so that it shows what Attacks the character already has assigned.
+ Fixed an error with the Vertical Macro Access Bar's Add Target that would add each selected target twice.
+ Fixed an issue with the GM Stat sheet that would show objects from layers other than the Token layer.
+ Changed Quick Skill Roll macro to show all the skills as RADIO buttons rather than a drop down, for easier reference.

Saved with Version: 1.6.1. The stack size seems to be set by the launcher but also seems to provide more than adequate resources to run the Framework.

Good luck Mudpyr8
Attachments
Hero-6E-v1_3c.zip
(957.25 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Last edited by nolgroth on Sat May 23, 2020 3:28 am, edited 70 times in total.

nolgroth
Dragon

Re: Hero 6th Edition Framework

Post by nolgroth »

Deprecated
Last edited by nolgroth on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:29 am, edited 13 times in total.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Deprecated
Last edited by nolgroth on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:29 am, edited 7 times in total.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Deprecated.
Last edited by nolgroth on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:30 am, edited 10 times in total.

Scubba
Cave Troll

Post by Scubba »

I'm excited to try this out, but I'm having (the usual) sorts of problems running it: stack overflows, NPEs, etc.

What memory/stack settings do you recommend?

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Deprecated.
Last edited by nolgroth on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

Scubba
Cave Troll

Post by Scubba »

Ah, much better!

There is a lot to like here: did you base this off of any other frameworks?

1) Interesting way to get around the Hero initiative rules and their incompatibility with the Initiative Panel. Have you thought about creating an automated "next segment" macro that would just keep track of the current segment? And how would you handle reserved characters?

2) The AOE/Explosion code is really cool! My initial results seem to indicate that it may be a little too big, even when I shrink the "BOOM" token down to something small. I'll look into this more later.

3) Have you considered writing a character parser? JamesManhattan wrote one (search for "monster card pdf") that inspired me to make one for Champions/Hero. In my framework I just export from HeroDesigner to a carefully designed export format, paste the contents of the character sheet in a dialog box, and hit "Import." All my properties are set in one action.

Can't wait to see more work on this, I'll be reusing plenty of code!

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Scubba wrote:Ah, much better!
Glad it is working for you. Honestly I've only been using it on my laptop, my desktop and a laptop at work. Good to know that it works for more than just me.
There is a lot to like here: did you base this off of any other frameworks?
I reused bits of code from here or there. The most obvious is Brad's Hero 5E framework. I lifted the Skills thing almost entirely from there. The rest, not really. When I was actively running a game, one of my players would say something along the lines of "It would be really neat if...." So I spent a lot of time trying to learn how to make "if" become reality. This is the first thing I've ever coded so I'm sure I could have done many things better.
1) Interesting way to get around the Hero initiative rules and their incompatibility with the Initiative Panel. Have you thought about creating an automated "next segment" macro that would just keep track of the current segment? And how would you handle reserved characters?
Yes. In fact I have some ideas for that in the near future. I don't know what you mean by "reserved" though.
2) The AOE/Explosion code is really cool! My initial results seem to indicate that it may be a little too big, even when I shrink the "BOOM" token down to something small. I'll look into this more later.

The token is just a visual aid. You can replace that with anything you like. The DC is what makes the size of the explosion in terms of cells/range. Most of the range finding stuff was done by Daltwisney over at the Hero forums. All I did is add the code to have it use his code to check distance to each token within range and apply damage. I sort of cheated on that too. I don't follow a strict Hero "drop the highest dice first" method. Mine is sort of a consistent damage drop per increment.
3) Have you considered writing a character parser? JamesManhattan wrote one (search for "monster card pdf") that inspired me to make one for Champions/Hero. In my framework I just export from HeroDesigner to a carefully designed export format, paste the contents of the character sheet in a dialog box, and hit "Import." All my properties are set in one action.
I would not even know where to begin to be honest. It is easy enough to "build" the character from my perspective. I suppose a Hero Designer to Nolgroth's framework parser would be cool, but I really am a newb at coding. Not that I couldn't learn, given time and impetus.
Can't wait to see more work on this, I'll be reusing plenty of code!
Thanks kindly. I think I am nearing the end of my development. I know there will always be little things that need to be tweaked and the odd feature that I forgot. I've been itching to run something again and I have been wanting a near complete/complete framework to do it with. That way I can focus on story and characters instead of patching/upgrading the framework.

I really appreciate your comments, questions and general feedback. I've been building this monster based on how I run a game. I wasn't entirely sure if anybody else would find it useful.

Scubba
Cave Troll

Post by Scubba »

I really am a newb at coding
Pretty darn great for a "newb!" My first attempts were much simpler.
I don't know what you mean by "reserved" though
Reserved = A held action. I was looking at somebody's framework (probably D&D) lately, and they had a nice visual aid: they placed tokens that were reserved at the top of the initiative list. If you dug into the initiative code much it wouldn't be that hard to do. It's a common problem in our games--not being able to remember who has held their action as we go from segment to segment.

Finally, the character sheet parser is a game-changer for me. Imagine: you go through all the "builders" for your villain team, and then discover you need to make changes. Then you have to go through all of that AGAIN. Burnout, typos, and general unpleasantness follow. And just *forget* trying to do this with 10 minutes left before the players show up.

Instead, you make changes in HeroDesigner, Export, paste the contents in Maptools, and hit "Apply." Your token is all loaded-up with property goodness. Lather, rinse, repeat.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Held action. I was going to create a state for that and have an image of a fist or hand appear over the character. When the initiative comes around, it reminds the person that they have a Held Action and, when their action phase comes back up, sets the Hold state back to 0. The person is welcome to Hold again, but it wouldn't (as it shouldn't) stack.

The character sheet thing makes sense. I may look into it a bit more later.

One thing I thought of as I slept ( I work odd hours) was that I should set the campaign DC max as one of the settings on the Lib token (like Using Locations or Knockback is now). That one is a relatively easy change so that will likely happen today or tomorrow. I just want to think of other settings that might go there so that I can modify the Campaign Properties and the parameters macro at the same time.

And I just noticed you live just a short way down the road. Greetings fellow Californian. :)
Last edited by nolgroth on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scubba
Cave Troll

Post by Scubba »

nolgroth wrote:I just noticed you live just a short way down the road. Greetings fellow Californian. :)
It makes sense, but it always surprises me that the Hero System has a bit of a West Coast fan base bias. But considering I used to go to DunDraCon in the 80's to hear Peterson/Harlick/Greer/etc. talk about the game, I probably shouldn't be surprised.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Lol... I'm a huge Champions fan myself and live in Alameda :D.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

nolgroth wrote:Held action. I was going to create a state for that and have an image of a fist or hand appear over the character. When the initiative comes around, it reminds the person that they are held and when their action phase comes back up, sets the Hold state back to 0. The person in welcome to Hold again, but it wouldn't (as it shouldn't) stack.
Thats the approach I took in my Lightweight 5E framework, and seems to work in play :)

I also use a state to indicate when a character has aborted to an action. I thought about trying to code the result and the clear state event but decided that in practice the Referee needs to decide too much to make it worth the effort. Plus from a player's point of view, if they clear their "Aborted" status when its their next turn, rather than it happen automatically, then they are still involved in the combat. Just ;)

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Scubba wrote: Finally, the character sheet parser is a game-changer for me. Imagine: you go through all the "builders" for your villain team, and then discover you need to make changes. Then you have to go through all of that AGAIN. Burnout, typos, and general unpleasantness follow. And just *forget* trying to do this with 10 minutes left before the players show up.

Instead, you make changes in HeroDesigner, Export, paste the contents in Maptools, and hit "Apply." Your token is all loaded-up with property goodness. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Ooh. Thats an interesting idea. My Ref uses HeroDesigner.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Jagged wrote:I also use a state to indicate when a character has aborted to an action. I thought about trying to code the result and the clear state event but decided that in practice the Referee needs to decide too much to make it worth the effort. Plus from a player's point of view, if they clear their "Aborted" status when its their next turn, rather than it happen automatically, then they are still involved in the combat. Just ;)
Not to be at all snarky, but I ran a MapTool game for about two years. Players tend to get distracted a lot. At least mine did. The more automation I throw in, the better.

As to the max DC being a Lib token property that I mentioned earlier, that change is already in the next release.

The character parser thing is a really awesome, but I would so need to see how it is done. At least have a prototype to reason from.

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”