Star Wars: Edge of the Empire v2.0

MapTool campaign files that encapsulate properties, tokens, and macros for a particular ruleset or game world. "Framework" is often abbreviated "FW".

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
This forum is LOCKED. If a thread belongs here, use the "Report" feature of the post to let a moderator know to move it. General discussion should occur in the User Creations or MapTool forums.
JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire v1.6S [Fully Functional]

Post by JamzTheMan »

Sweet framework! We played the intro mod Sunday and may keep going. Bookmarking this thread now. :)

Are there any good places for Star Wars VTT objects? Mainly looking for top town 3D tokens but otherwise standard pogs work.
-Jamz

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

JamzTheMan wrote:Are there any good places for Star Wars VTT objects?
Not tokens, but there's a guy on the FFG forum who's been building objects for his adventures:

Maveritchell's SW maps post

Set up for 64px grids, which is a little weird, and the art style might not be your thing, but he has a lot of stuff there.

oggmosh
Cave Troll

Post by oggmosh »

A few people have posted SW resources at http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17183

Some of them are links to the now-defunct Gallery, but some are still live links. I don't remember seeing any top-down tokens, but there's lots of disc shaped ones.

Lobosolo
Kobold

Post by Lobosolo »

Nice to see some traffic on this thread. :) I have been using the framework and it is working pretty well. I would love to add an inventory system to it though. I looked at some of the inventory frameworks and I didn't see anything that could be bolted on to this framework. Anyone have any suggestions for a good general inventory system that I could import into this framework?

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

Lobosolo wrote:Nice to see some traffic on this thread. :) I have been using the framework and it is working pretty well. I would love to add an inventory system to it though. I looked at some of the inventory frameworks and I didn't see anything that could be bolted on to this framework. Anyone have any suggestions for a good general inventory system that I could import into this framework?
Man, I wish; one of my players has an interesting workaround, though. He's been making dummy weapons and listing his carried goods in the notes; it's not that bad, since he can just click the macrolink to put what he's got into chat.

Tyshalle
Giant

Post by Tyshalle »

This is a great framework, but there hasn't been an update in quite a while. I remember Daelkyr saying he intended to add Talent trees, which would be amazing. Any word on this?

Tyshalle
Giant

Post by Tyshalle »

So I've been working with this Framework for a few weeks now, and not having any programming knowledge I've run into two problems I'm not sure how to solve. One seems like it should be fairly easy, the other, who knows.

The easy issue is that the output on dice rolls isn't organized particularly well for people who like their chat window to be tall and narrow on the side of the screen, rather than wide and short on the top or bottom. Personally I prefer the tall and narrow chat window, and so I find that when you have a particularly large amount of dice being rolled, say, more than 6, the dice roll totals appear off screen with no way to look them up unless you expand the size of the chat box.

This seems like it should be easy enough to fix. We just need to put line breaks between the good dice, the bad dice, and the results. I know it can be done, since Weapon Damage gets thrown on an extra line. I'm just not sure where to put these line breaks in the code. Anyone else know?

The second problem is one that is much more complicated to fix, which is a shame, because it's much more vital to being able to play with this framework. Currently there is no way to manually add specific critical hits, nor to add bonuses to your d100 when rolling your critical hits. This is bad because if you have a weapon like a lightsaber or a disruptor with the Vicious special ability, you should be able to add +30 or +20 to your d100 critical dice roll. Currently there's no way to give yourself bonuses to dice rolls for the critical hits, which is a shame because the dice roller lets you roll a percentile roll, and give yourself a bonus in there. Anyone have any idea how to implement this?

Lord Maim
Kobold

Post by Lord Maim »

Tyshalle wrote:Currently there's no way to give yourself bonuses to dice rolls for the critical hits, which is a shame because the dice roller lets you roll a percentile roll, and give yourself a bonus in there. Anyone have any idea how to implement this?
There's a plus/minus button right in the critical dialog that allows you to add multiples of 10 to the roll.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

Tyshalle wrote:So I've been working with this Framework for a few weeks now, and not having any programming knowledge I've run into two problems I'm not sure how to solve. One seems like it should be fairly easy, the other, who knows.

The easy issue is that the output on dice rolls isn't organized particularly well for people who like their chat window to be tall and narrow on the side of the screen, rather than wide and short on the top or bottom. Personally I prefer the tall and narrow chat window, and so I find that when you have a particularly large amount of dice being rolled, say, more than 6, the dice roll totals appear off screen with no way to look them up unless you expand the size of the chat box.

This seems like it should be easy enough to fix. We just need to put line breaks between the good dice, the bad dice, and the results. I know it can be done, since Weapon Damage gets thrown on an extra line. I'm just not sure where to put these line breaks in the code. Anyone else know?
The relevant macros are on Lib:dice; "attackDice" and "rollDice". Daelkyr has the output set up in a table; I goofed with my output for similar reasons.
Tyshalle wrote:The second problem is one that is much more complicated to fix, which is a shame, because it's much more vital to being able to play with this framework. Currently there is no way to manually add specific critical hits, nor to add bonuses to your d100 when rolling your critical hits. This is bad because if you have a weapon like a lightsaber or a disruptor with the Vicious special ability, you should be able to add +30 or +20 to your d100 critical dice roll. Currently there's no way to give yourself bonuses to dice rolls for the critical hits, which is a shame because the dice roller lets you roll a percentile roll, and give yourself a bonus in there. Anyone have any idea how to implement this?
The fix was posted a page back; easy to miss. I'm attaching my copies of Lib:dice and Lib:sheet if you don't want to monkey with anything.
Attachments
Lib_Sheet16S.rptok
(38.54 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Lib_Dice16S.rptok
(75.34 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

fuleng6021
Cave Troll

Post by fuleng6021 »

looks like a nice framework.
I could need some help. Actually I don't want to have a fancy framework with character sheets and many macros. what i need is a simple EotE dice roller. Unfortunately I am not very good (lets say terrible) at anything which has to do with coding. I thought i just needed to drag the "roll dialog" macro from Lib:dice to a character token to get access to the dice roller. but it does not work. The macro I wrote looks like this : " [macro ("rollDialog@Lib:Dice"):""] ".
When i try to access the single rolls, for example " [macro ("rollBoost@Lib:Dice"):""] " , it works an rolls a single boost dice.
How has a macro to look to just open the dice Dialog?
Please help me RPForum you are my only hope!

Tyshalle
Giant

Post by Tyshalle »

So I've been using this framework now for a couple of sessions, and I'm noticing some pretty big instability with maptool when I run this framework. Now, I am using b90-beta, but I've used b90-beta with other frameworks and haven't had this problem before. The issue is basically that maptool is crashing *a lot* when I'm running this framework. Like, it probably freezes 1-2 times per session, and crashes 2-4 times per session, over the course of 5-8 hours or so. I run a pretty good computer, and I can't seem to figure out why this would be the case. This framework seems to be a resource hog, though. I most often get Freezing issues when opening up Token Properties, and sometimes my Windows 7 computer will drop its Aero Theme for a more simplified theme to save on resources space, which I don't think should be happening for something as simple as MapTool.

My MapTool settings have been 1024/64/4, but I updated the stack size from 4 to 5 last time I played and that seemed to decrease the number of crashes, but didn't eliminate them entirely. I also am hosting this campaign for 5 players, not sure if the number of players has anything to do with this, though.

Is there something about this framework that's just extra resource heavy or unstable? Is there anything I can do on my end to fix this problem?

Thanks

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Not sure about the framework, but its possible that you have Fog of War issues. First thing you can try is hitting ctrl+shift+o, this resets all fow data. Also make sure that when you run a game/server that you have 'individual fow/view (?)' turned off.

Other things that might help is increasing/decreasing stack (the lower the better, but it might crash with a stack overflow) Although 4 (as you say) is quite ideal so it hardly can be that.

A final thing: start logging!! there should already be a log of your crashes in your .maptool directory: post it here.
Additionaly for the next time
1. delete the current .log (after you attach it here)
2. replace the logging.xml in the .maptool dir with the 'macro-loggin.xml' in your maptool install directory (rename it to logging.xml).
The latter will result in a much more verbose log.

Tyshalle
Giant

Post by Tyshalle »

A portion of the log is below. I couldn't attach the whole thing because just a 5 hour session on Sunday created a 2.5 MB error log, so I attached just a couple of the crashes.

I don't think it has to do with Fog of War, because I'm pretty sure I didn't even use it during the last session. I think it has to do specifically with this Framework, as I've made heavy use of individual views with Fog of War in another framework and I've never had a problem with it (to my knowledge, anyway).

Most of my errors are OutOfMemoryError's, which I seemed to be getting with a Stack size of 4.

When you say delete the current .log, do you mean the log.txt file in my .maptool folder? When you say replace the logging.xml with the macro-loggin.xml I have no idea what you're referring to. The b90 MapTool launcher has an Advanced Tab that lets me to set logging type to various things like "General Debugging" and "Macro Handling". Is that what you're talking about?

Do the number of macros associated with a Framework determine how memory intensive a Framework is? Because I notice that the framework AliasMask built for me for a previous campaign only had 33 macros on 1 lib token. This Edge of the Empire framework has 158 macros on 2 lib tokens. That seems like a massive difference.

Code: Select all

2014-05-11 14:54:30,887 [swing.MapToolEventQueue:43] ERROR - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
	at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
	at java.lang.Thread.start(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.lib.TaskBarFlasher.flash(TaskBarFlasher.java:51)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool.addServerMessage(MapTool.java:755)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ClientMethodHandler$1.run(ClientMethodHandler.java:338)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:36)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
2014-05-11 17:28:25,455 [swing.MapToolEventQueue:43] ERROR - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
	at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
	at java.lang.Thread.start(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.addWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.execute(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.assetpanel.AssetDirectory.getImageFor(AssetDirectory.java:98)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.assetpanel.ImageFileImagePanelModel.getImage(ImageFileImagePanelModel.java:90)
	at net.rptools.lib.swing.ImagePanel.paintComponent(ImagePanel.java:181)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JViewport.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.prePaintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.access$1100(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$ProcessingRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:36)
	at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$2.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport.enter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Dialog.show(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.show(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Window.setVisible(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.token.ImageAssetPanel$2.actionPerformed(ImageAssetPanel.java:111)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$2.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport.enter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Dialog.show(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.show(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Window.setVisible(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.GenericDialog.showDialog(GenericDialog.java:78)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.token.EditTokenDialog.showDialog(EditTokenDialog.java:138)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.PointerTool.mousePressed(PointerTool.java:445)
	at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mousePressed(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

its obviously a memory issue and rest assure, my campaign including the bag of tricks is the biggest there is (in terms of macros) and it has no memory issues whatsoever. Something is hogging resources. But first of all, do you have perhaps java x32 installed cause then your memory is limited to 1500mb max. Switch to x64 (just install it) and either remove the 32 or change the path to it in mt.

if you want to check: in the menu under help select the 'gather debug infromation' and it should say:

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
Java Version: 1.7.0_45
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)

next you can check available memory. If it still crashes then try setting max mem LOWER !! (if images show up as X then its set too low) this will limit the amount of memory allocated per thread allowing for more threads.

Tyshalle
Giant

Post by Tyshalle »

All right, it looks like I had the 32-bit version installed only. I downloaded the 64 bit version, and it seems like MapTool is automatically going with it over the 32-bit version.

I don't have my next session until tomorrow, so I won't get to really test things out with a full server load until then, but what are your recommended settings for when I launch MapTool now? 1024 max, 64 min, 4 stack?

Also, do I need to get my players to have the same version of Java as me? What if they're running Windows XP or something and can't download 64-bit Java? Will that affect anything?

Return to “Campaign Frameworks”