Tokens: General/Universal NPC and Monster

For everything about graphics/tokens developed by users and offered for others to use in their games.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

gennywar
Kobold

Tokens: General/Universal NPC and Monster

Post by gennywar »

Mostly, I use Maptools pretty much exclusively for the map, as all the extra features tend to bog me down and are a real struggle to figure out.

Right so. I started working on a few set of tokens to use. See, I wanted something all-purpose and easy to use. Since pretty much all of the tokens everyone uses are just picture-of-something in a frame or top-down image I ended up collecting a seriously huge number of little images that I knew I'd never end up using, and when I did have a nasty monster for my players to fight, or an NPC for them to talk to, well, it took me a good 30-60 seconds to pick which picture fit the character or creature best. And of course, the one I picked was usually just a stand in.

My solution was color and shape coded tokens with just basic symbols representing what sort of thing it was. Flashy symbolic things that wouldn't get into my players heads and make expectations about the creature's appearance (otherwise, what's favor-text for). I searched around to expand my library of symbols, then looked up a few glassy-effect tutorials. I got the idea from the "Token State" images included in the default pack for Maptools...

Most of these are monster-types for D&D, but I feel confident they could be adapted for other uses as well. Below are a few samples...
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

View More: http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj25 ... en%20Pack/

Custom Shape Credits: http://solwyvern.deviantart.com/art/Cod ... t-92652823 and http://danijel-one.deviantart.com/art/3 ... N-84344555
Download Pack +: http://www.deviantart.com/download/2110 ... 3ho7zt.zip
Last edited by gennywar on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phergus
Deity

Re: Tokens: General/Universal NPC and Monster

Post by Phergus »

Nice! Welcome to the forums.

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Good loking and easy to "read" tokens.
Thanks.
ImageImageImageImage

gennywar
Kobold

Post by gennywar »

Phergus wrote:Nice! Welcome to the forums.
Thank you.
Natha wrote:Good loking and easy to "read" tokens.
Thanks.
Thank you! I'm glad you like them.

Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Post by Darcphaze »

I ended up doing something similar (generic tokens), but had to do it twice, because of the AD&D 3.5 game I play. I too liked the round tokens. However, once you start changing into larger sizes, they lose that 'square friendly' necessity, so I ended up doing mine over into squares so they met the 'square friendly' criteria.

Those are stunning. You did a beautiful job :D
No matter what a GM plans for, the players are certain to find another way to do it

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

This may be late, but nice token set. Very nice for building a quick and dirty game.

gennywar
Kobold

Post by gennywar »

aliasmask wrote:This may be late, but nice token set. Very nice for building a quick and dirty game.
Late is fine. Thank you, I'm very glad that you like them.
Darcphaze wrote:I ended up doing something similar (generic tokens), but had to do it twice, because of the AD&D 3.5 game I play. I too liked the round tokens. However, once you start changing into larger sizes, they lose that 'square friendly' necessity, so I ended up doing mine over into squares so they met the 'square friendly' criteria.

Those are stunning. You did a beautiful job :D
Haha. I can see that. I only use the circle ones anymore, but I've changed the combat system of the game I play (Pathfinder), to suit them. I really liked not having the grid. It opens up a lot of movement on the battlefield. So I used auras for threatened area, and all my tokens are circles.

I was thinking of making more of these, though I only use the circle ones myself. The diamond ones are weird, so I'd probably only make circles and squares if I did make more.

Return to “Tilesets, Token Libraries, and Complete Maps”