[Map Bits] Infinity Dungeon Tileset by VertWrangler

For everything about graphics/tokens developed by users and offered for others to use in their games.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

VertWrangler
Kobold

[Map Bits] Infinity Dungeon Tileset by VertWrangler

Post by VertWrangler »

VertWranglers Infinity Dungeon tile set
Screenshot: Image

I'm not sure about you guys but our DM is one kinda busy. I decided to help him out by addressing some of his issues with other tile sets.

Goals
1. Reduce construction time for the DM.
2. Increase randomness and customization.
3. Shift thinking from tile and wall based building to shape based room building.
4. Keep it 100% Snap friendly.

Example Maps
Small: https://app.box.com/s/wzniiqdig74gjbvcoo0vzta46hgr3wwd
Large: https://app.box.com/s/bfdjvhvfopwgoqe3iq6iw44due3px7us

The Tile set
Step 1. Download the tile set here v2.1 https://app.box.com/s/pbl2zpdmkcfxi816b0wn1ami6ogu9ney (around 20 megs....for now)
sneak sneak sneak v2.2 https://app.box.com/v/InfinityDungeon22zip (around 36 megs....for now)

Step 2. Disregard all instructions and stumble around in the folders.

Step 3. Give up and watch the how to video. (Now on YouTube) https://youtu.be/8PeQNo4Tp7E

Step 4. Log back into the forum and berate me over obvious oversights.

Infinity Dungeon source material and tutorials for adding your own tiles.
I'll be updating this all this week. I'm also not sure where the best place to post this info will be.

Photoshop
Source Zip File. https://app.box.com/s/ipj2i6h3xtzsg4jlz3t6qrlxfifnjh7c
Quick start tutorial video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrIXOBjnb4I
Photoshop settings for wall detail layer.
Spoiler

GIMP 2.8
Source Zip File https://app.box.com/s/5rlqptzb1x9htpi2iri0pcoxc91mcs9d
Quick start tutorial video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0K7GDDJPjM
GIMP settings for wall detail layer. You will need to get the Layerfx Plug-in for GIMP for these settings. It can be found at http://registry.gimp.org/node/186 . I used the Python version.
Spoiler
ImageImage
Photoshop result Vs GIMP
ImageImage

Getting Started. Photoshop Tutorial, Tips and tricks, and how to make your own tile set for beginners.
This will also work for GIMP users. Same processes, just different packages.
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGEYSFpluzQ
Part 2 making
Part 3 making

Making Halls and Rooms+. Tips and Tricks. making
Shadow Overlays. Tips and Tricks. making

3.0?
Yes eventually I will put out the Final 3.0 tile set. I will be adding to the Platforms, Bam, and Stairs folders as well as addressing issues brought up on the forum.

Other sets?
I wouldn't count on. I'm kinda Lazy.

Folder Changes
Platforms will be renamed Levels
Add(subfolder under Levels)
Addition of Stone steps and platforms. Platform base structure with snap on extension shapes
Addition of Wood steps and platforms. Platform base structure with snap on extension shapes
Sub (subfolder under Levels)

Addition of Pit steps and inserts (lowers the base floor by 1 level, opposite of a platform)
BAM
Addition of Bridges, Pools of water, Acid,
More Bam in general (looking for ideas)
Addition of Overlays such as scorch marks, footprints, blood marks, dust, cobwebs
Changes: Moving floor decals to the themes folder
Rooms_Square
Addition of larger rooms, 15x15, 1x15, 2x15,3x15,4x15
Pillars
Addition of more versions, half circle, wall hugging
Stairs
Addition of more versions, sidewall, freestanding, circle

New Folders
Rooms+
Addition of rooms that clip on to other rooms and/or halls. Reduces the need of a 3rd tile to add a simple addition to a space. (alcoves would be covered in this addition)
Exterior
Addition of an exterior set to help tie the Dungeon tile set to above ground structures. Mausoleums, Crypts, Castle Ruins etcetera
Prebuilt
Addition of a folder for archiving previous built layouts that were saved out to image files and previous built static maps.
Themes
Addition of theme folders for decals and floor overlays. 3-5 themes provided (ballpark)

If I'm in the mood

Infinity Cavern
Small base set that allow cracks in the walls to lead to natural formed caves and for stand alone cave maps. (Theoretically I have it figured out, we'll see)

Infinity Inn
Small base set for building small structure floor plans. Houses, shops,

ID Lite
A striped down version of Infinity Dungeon for Old School DMs that prefer to rely on verbal descriptions as apposed to graphic decorations. Limited shapes sizes and bam for simplistic no thrills spaces. (Back in my day we used our imagination... and we liked it that way!)

Color Key
Dark Red Request per forum suggestion
Dark Green Completed and testing (Not released)
Last edited by VertWrangler on Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Never Underestimate the Power of Boredom.

VertWrangler
Kobold

Re: Infinity Dungeon Tileset by VertWrangler

Post by VertWrangler »

The Quick Example (I Still suggest downloading the "How To" to get started)

Ghiolekk
Giant

Post by Ghiolekk »

Amazing contribution!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Wow, nice!! thanks. Have you considered offering this tile set to be part of the standard downloadable tilesets (I always forget what its named) you need our Forum Bard aka rptroll for that.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Nice resource. I like how you approached dungeon construction.

VertWrangler
Kobold

Post by VertWrangler »

wolph42 wrote:Wow, nice!! thanks. Have you considered offering this tile set to be part of the standard downloadable tilesets (I always forget what its named) you need our Forum Bard aka rptroll for that.

When 3.0 is buffed I'll gladly offer it up.
I've already found an issue with the Hall_4x5 tile not spaced to snap properly. I'm sure there are other errors that need fixed as well as the aditional content I'm already working on.

P.S. Wolf I'm a huge fan.... I <3 Teleporters

patnodewf
Cave Troll

Post by patnodewf »

The only suggestion I could possibly offer is to somehow, when you've got this core set polished, create another one or two sets with different environmental themes.

Few theme suggestions:
  • Dwarven Halls
  • Natural Cave walls/floors
  • Wooden walls/floors
  • Perhaps a few "transition" tiles to mix themes up within the same map even
My form-fillable PDF Character Sheet for Pathfinder can be found here.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Excellent stuff!!! Thanks for sharing. I will echo the other requests.. I did have an issue with trying at least one of the circle rooms with getting a hallway to line up, but switched to a slightly different sized circle room and it did perfectly.

Other things that might be nice:

Rotatable secret door inserts
Bigger rooms or perhaps just some really long "corner" pieces would work.
More Bam
"half columns".... Think about round columns that directly abut to a wall segment. Kind the exact opposite of an alcove.
Alcoves
More Platforms and stairs to work with them...

Looking forward to more(perhaps some of the stuff such as the BAM should be it's own separate pack if it's not tied to the base in terms of textures and stuff...)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

My only request would be to include the textures for the walls and floor for those who wish to add their own fills and perhaps contribute to this thread. Also, the method for the wall shadow (ie blur 10px x5).

:D

VertWrangler
Kobold

Post by VertWrangler »

aliasmask wrote:My only request would be to include the textures for the walls and floor for those who wish to add their own fills and perhaps contribute to this thread. Also, the method for the wall shadow (ie blur 10px x5).

:D

I'll provide the .PSD, Gimp version, and export settings when I hand it off at 3.

moved 3.0 info to First post
Last edited by VertWrangler on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

Once again a user comes through and creates a awesome package.I can't wait for the final version 7,lol I love the dungeon building technique and the possibilities are endless once you polish off the core set,there are already so many ideas popping up.Before you know it you will have a dungeon builder program.Keep up the boredom and great work :)

patnodewf
Cave Troll

Post by patnodewf »

Random thoughts, regarding the "BAM!":
  • Your pits could become pools of water (blue) or acid (green), etc...
    (perfect hiding spot for that acid-breathing-dire shark!)
  • Environment attached traps (swinging blades from walls/corners, etc)
  • Various statues or motifs partially carved out of the walls/pillars
    (I'm imagining a [trapped] room full of pillars that have flames jet out of the carvings when triggered)
  • A staircase that is collapsed into a ramp, so you can drop it over an existing staircase if needed
  • Bridges too!
Also, have you thought about doing your stairs, pits, and platforms as merely shadow overlays? You might get away with them being universal across multiple environments that way, and perhaps save some work for yourself...
My form-fillable PDF Character Sheet for Pathfinder can be found here.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

VertWrangler wrote:P.S. Wolf I'm a huge fan.... I <3 Teleporters
Thanks, new release coming up shortly with a new token set that offers limitless options for (advanced) users!

VertWrangler
Kobold

Post by VertWrangler »

patnodewf wrote: Also, have you thought about doing your stairs, pits, and platforms as merely shadow overlays? You might get away with them being universal across multiple environments that way, and perhaps save some work for yourself...
The issue with shadow overlays is the fact its hard to create a Lightened effect. As things get closer to the viewer they should become lighter, and then darker the farther they are away. I've experimented with white overlays to create a raised effect and a dark overlays for a sunken effect. They worked so/so. I went with a solid tile for my set just due to my personal preference and the ability to offer a different texture. Wood platforms for example.

Currently the platforms and pits are treated as solid diffuse platforms with overlay shadow edges. I use ramps and stairs interchangeable with the platforms (this might work for your steps to ramp type trap). The ramps have a transparent blend gradient so they will blend from the floor texture color to the solid platform color. The pits reverse the process so technically you can use any of them with any tile set and it will blend to the background. However the color pallets may clash and look horrible.

Some good BAM ideas! I'll add a few to the list.

VertWrangler
Kobold

Post by VertWrangler »

I'll be close to releasing Infinity Inn 1.0 (a stand alone small structure floor-plan builder) This weekend.
Should I just add it to my original post or should I post it as a new topic in the forum?

Return to “Tilesets, Token Libraries, and Complete Maps”