Modern & Near-Future street tiles

For everything about graphics/tokens developed by users and offered for others to use in their games.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Cherno
Giant

Modern & Near-Future street tiles

Post by Cherno »

Hello,

If you have any ideas for stuff that is missing, please tell me and I will try to incorporate it into the next version. I will even do custom work if you need one specific tile for your campaign, maybe with a certain marking or something.

Here's how to use the tiles:

After extracting, there is the main folder with all tiles plus the PSD file and a folder "Lights" which has copies of all tiles, only with curb lights.

All tiles follow a simple naming scheme to quickly find what you're looking for:

First digit:
I = Straight Road
L = L-shaped Turn
T = T-crossing
X = X-crossing

Second digit:
N = Narrow street, for suburbs and side streets, alleys etc.
W = Wide street, for main roads and highways

Other keywords:

Asphalt (plain road without sidewalk)
VTOL (VTOL landing spot)
Plaza (plain sidewalk without and road or curb, as well as some decorative asphalt spots in the middle... For putting a potted plant or something in it.

I recommend first doing a basic street layout, then placing special street tiles for pedestrian crossing etc, and then adding a 3 square wide sidewalk along all roads.

Even better would be to create your city grid in your favourite graphics editing program, this way you can easily add grunge and trash etc. without having to worry about tiling issues.

Comments welcome! (Via PM or eMail: "chernoskill (at) gmx (dot) net".

Have fun building your city ;)

Cherno
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yolxl9gvzu1y2 ... G.zip?dl=0

Also available as PDFs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f1q1aqfp3sxl ... F.zip?dl=0
Spoiler
Edit: There's also a large collection of interior floorplans available:

PNG:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3vzvncvygraw ... 1.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7pthq0rc037r ... 2.zip?dl=0

PDF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sueboxejwxpg3 ... 0.zip?dl=0
Sample (about 10% of the included floorplans)
Last edited by Cherno on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:14 am, edited 15 times in total.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Modern and Near-Future street tiles

Post by CoveredInFish »

Great, thanks for sharing.

Not so much modern stuff out there, this makes your tileset even more exciting! :D

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

These look great, thanks a bunch !

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Cheers! To be honest I'm not 100% satisfied with them, but I found out I had to make compromises especially with the sidewalk. The herringbone pattern means that it has to tile perfectly so every tile has to look the same. Plus I wasn't able to find good street trash overlays.

If this is assembled in PS and then grunged up, I figure itl'l look much better.

Funny thing concerning the creation: After spending over two days rendering tiles in 3DS Max, going back and forth and implementing small changes when required, scrapping work again and again, and with every render taking 15 minutes with lights and 4 without, I finally said "screw that!" and begun anew in photoshop, creating all tiles in less than a day. The lights don't look as good, but at least it is finished ;)

Bottom line: Only use the tool that is required for the job: For top-down tiles, a 3D modelling program is overkill.

Maybe I'll make some new tiles in the future (no pun intended) that more closely resemble the street in bladerunner, with rain-slick surfaces and neon glows everywhere.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Maybe you can let them be added to the MT resource libs if thats ok with you (thats the download menu inside MT). You have to contact Dorpond for that (IRC)

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Yeah I thought about that, however I'd first like to get some feedback on stuff that may be missing or other errors before I submit it.

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Cherno wrote:Yeah I thought about that, however I'd first like to get some feedback on stuff that may be missing or other errors before I submit it.
As far as I'm concerned, they are good to go !

Do you have plans for releasing other modern tiles : indoor offices, conapts, combat zone ruins, etc ?

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Problem with indoor stuff is that it relies heavily on images for props, and those often vary widely between different styles.

Venatius
Dragon

Post by Venatius »

Modern tilesets and materials are SORELY neglected. I guarantee you I'll be making use of these. Thanks!

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

You're welcome... And I agree that there's not enough modern and sci-fi stuff out there, especially the "basics" like streets etc.

I'm currently looking into extracting Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Syndicate models from the game files to import them into 3D Studio Max so I can make some objects from them.. Lotsa cool vehicles included.

Oh and by the way, I made a ton of modern floorplans from the Left 4 Dead assets a while back, these are still available for download.

(Image shows just a tiny fraction of the total amount of tiles)
Spoiler

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=33844.30

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Wow,

I hope this project for DE:HR and Syndicate work out, they have amazing visuals. I'll definitely use those if you make them.

PS : just sent you a pm about the L4D tiles.

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Last edited by Cherno on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Thank you very much ! Looking forward to see what you come up with DEHR and Syndicate as well :)

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

It looks very complicated to me, not sure if I'm able to pull it off but I'm giving it my best shot =)

Return to “Tilesets, Token Libraries, and Complete Maps”