A couple of slash commands

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

palmer
Great Wyrm

Re: A couple of slash commands

Post by palmer »

Of course I'm keeping up with the Boneses! You think 'm going to allow some skeleton to outrun ME?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:And wouldn't "Bones" become "Boneses" in that case? Such as "keeping up with the Boneses"?
Only if you were referring to a plural (i.e. a family name in the case you used.) Whereas if you are referring to a single character named "Bones" (which would be the case when using /mes), then no, it would actually be "Bones's staff blocks the attack."

"James" would be "James's" too.

Both *look* wrong to me though, and somewhere down the road I was taught to use "s'" in that case so I'm probably going to continue to do that anyway. Using "James's" is just ugly and I think it would be a literary speed-bump for most readers even if it's grammatically correct. ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Apparently, the use of the trailing "s" is optional, at least as indicated by this wikipedia article. And we all know that wikipedia is always correct. ;)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:Apparently, the use of the trailing "s" is optional, at least as indicated by this wikipedia article. And we all know that wikipedia is always correct. ;)
Well, I'll go with that then because, wrong or right, it supports what I prefer. ;)

So, we're back to where I started... we need MT to make an exception when the name ends with a "s".

(And we need never speak of "s's" again.)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

This is addressed in 1.3b54
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Resolved”