[REQ 1.3b54] Hiding tooltip for Macrolink/MacroLinkText

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

RedDog
Dragon

[REQ 1.3b54] Hiding tooltip for Macrolink/MacroLinkText

Post by RedDog »

I've been working on dialogs with macrolinks a lot lately and the tooltips for these can get a bit annoying. It would be nice if macrolink/macrolinktext included the option of not displaying the tooltip (or displaying an alternate tooltip, but that one is probably asking too much at this stage).

Mathemagician
Dragon

Re: [REQ 1.3b54] Hiding tooltip for Macrolink/MacroLinkText

Post by Mathemagician »

Agreed. I have macroLinks with tooltips that are a few inches tall, and extend the entire screen.

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

Also agreed. Although hiding them entirely would work, being able to customize them would be preferable. I can understand that the tooltips make sense from the perspective that you know what you're clicking on.. but since you can have a macroLink automatically execute upon display, that doesn't seem that necessary.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

OH PLEEEAAAASEEEEEE!!!!!
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

The problem with this is if tooltips can be removed or overridden then you have no ideas what players may be getting you to click on. So limits what people who run pick up games can do with macro links.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

This is what I can do as a compromise.
If the macro link is in the chat window it will always display the standard macro link tool tip.
If the macro link is in a dialog box or frame then no macro link tool tip is displayed. This way you can use span in dialog/frame to provide a tooltip for links.

Code: Select all

<span title="blah blah blah">[r: macroLink("Say blah will ya", "blah@Lib:blah")]</span>
(remember to use [r: ] or { } or you will get the normal "roll" tooltip).

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

Sounds like a perfect compromise to me. :)

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Craig wrote:

<span title="blah blah blah">[r: macroLink("Say blah will ya", "blah@Lib:blah")]</span>
Does the title attribute work in MapTool? I tried it on a frame but it didn't work.
Kristian

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

Amaril wrote:
Craig wrote:

Does the title attribute work in MapTool? I tried it on a frame but it didn't work.
I had a similar problem at first, because the title attribute is supposed to work on many different elements... alas it only seems to work on the span element in Swing(MapTool). :(

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

Craig wrote:This is what I can do as a compromise.
If the macro link is in the chat window it will always display the standard macro link tool tip.
If the macro link is in a dialog box or frame then no macro link tool tip is displayed. This way you can use span in dialog/frame to provide a tooltip for links.

(remember to use [r: ] or { } or you will get the normal "roll" tooltip).
That sounds great to me too.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

zEal wrote:
Amaril wrote:
Craig wrote:

I had a similar problem at first, because the title attribute is supposed to work on many different elements... alas it only seems to work on the span element in Swing(MapTool). :(
Actually the title element being a tool tip is not part of the standard, its just something that netscape started doing and others slowly copied. Because of this swing never displayed the title as a tool tip, there is some code in maptool to "manually" create a tooltip if the html element under the mouse is a span and it has the title attribute. It was never added for any others (well if you discount macro links and <a> with a url).

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Patch from Craig applied for 1.3b56
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Thanks, Craig!
Kristian