Part 1: Rescue at Rivenroar

Moderator: Plissken

Plissken
Giant

Part 1: Rescue at Rivenroar

Post by Plissken »

Hello,

I have Sundays free so I thought I'd run a game. I was going to play in this game but the DM dropped so I thought I'd run it.

Scales of War is the Dungeon adventure path so I'm hoping we can get a consistent group going and possibly take the same set of characters as far as we can.

Character Creation Rules
Starting level 1
Ability Scores: 23 point buy

Races & Classes: I know this is Dungeon material but I'd like to limit the playable classes and races to the Players Handbook I.

Go to http://www.myth-weavers.com to create your character there.

The Game
* No voice chat for now...this may change later depending on how much players want it.
* Sunday afternoons, starting at either 12 pm or 1 pm PST.
* Sessions will last 2-3 hours, if players want to play longer I'm good with that

Players
* All experience levels welcome.
* Don't venture too far off from the group so that portions of time will have to spent solely on you. It's ok to split but...you know, don't spend 30-minutes to 1-hour trying to loot houses and pickpocket people.
* Please do your best to be a teamplayer.
* No evildoers.

About Me
I have experience using Maptools and ran a few 4e games when it first came out. Still memorizing some of the rules but I know enough for a game to run smoothly. I don't mind being corrected on rules so if I forget something or did something wrong please let me know.

Macros:
I don't care what macro you use but I probably won't be (because I don't know how and don't have the time to setup) using fancy macro's/tokens I've heard of like Veggiesama. I prefer simple macros that just show the attack roll, damage, and simple description of the power/effect. If you have a more technical one you can use that as well.

Here are example macros that I would prefer you using:
Health:
[HP: HP = HP - HPLoss]
Balasar has lost some health...

[HP: HP = HP - HPGain]
Balasar has gained some health...

Attack:
<b> Magic Missile - At Will </b> <br>
<b> Attack: </b> [d20 + 3] <br>
<b> Damage: </b> [4d6 + 3] <br>

or

<b> Covering Strike - Encounter </b> <br>
<b> Attack: </b> [d20 + 3] <br>
<b> Damage: </b> [2d6 + 3] <br>
<b> Effect: </b> You deal 2[W] and one ally adjacent to the opponent can shift two squares.

------
Players
1. Dareus - Carix/Eladrin/Warlord
3. Elondor - Sindaril/Eladrin/Rogue
4. RaptorZombieJesus - Deuneb/Human/Cleric
6. Fallacy - Kamar/Human/Fighter
Last edited by Plissken on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Dareus
Cave Troll

Re: 4e D&D - Scales of War - Rescue at Rivenroar

Post by Dareus »

I am very interested in playing in this campaign. I'll come up w/ a character for you tomorrow!

Working on a Taclord!!!
Last edited by Dareus on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

I'm up for this. As a bonus, I have not actually read any of the Scales adventures (and now will make a point of avoiding them).

This is a good time slot as it doesn't interfere with my other Sunday game (AsherM's game, which is 6:30pm PST)

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=108633

I suppose I can use simple macros if required... I'll want some auto-calculating properties though :)

(My personal macro setups are very complex, but have simple output)

elondor
Kobold

Post by elondor »

I would be interested in playing this. I am in GMT time zone so there are few games I can join. The bad news is I chose scales of war to run for my face to face game so I have read most of rescue at rivenroar so feel free to say no to me playing. Let me know if it is ok and I'll make a character.

RaptorZombiejesus
Kobold

Post by RaptorZombiejesus »

Ohh, me me me! :D

Character Sheet http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=110477 , need help, because I'm a new player, don't know exactly what else and how I'm supposed to fill in, but I've been looking for a DM that'll take me in, blah blah, blah, I'm tired of writing the same thing wherever I go and try to find a game. So I'll provide a link to the thread I made to kind of introduce myself to any DM's willing to teach me beyond the PHB and get me started on my first game.
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7140

The thread I wrote covers alot, so I'll let you decide.

Plissken
Giant

Post by Plissken »

Welcome all!

Looks like we got a good number of players so far. Elondor, no problem in joining. Hopefully, you haven't gone past Rescue at Rivenroar? Even if, that's fine as well.

Looks like we need one more player! Anyone else?

Also, what time would you all like to start? I hope 12 pm PST is a good time for you all. If not, we'll try to work out the time.

RaptorZombiejesus
Kobold

I'm great with noon, PST that'd be like 1PM for me, right? Yay :D I am requesting some help with my sheet, so if you could tell me if I'm missing anything on it and how I could fix it would be great.

Ferdil
Cave Troll

Post by Ferdil »

Hey, can I join? I already know well the 4e rules so no need to explain.
Noon would be perfect for me.

Also, could I play a Swordmage, the Arcane Defender from the Forgotten Realms Player's Handbook? No FR races, I'll use an Eladrin, but I would like to try the Swordmage.

EDIT: Another question: how do you handle XP? Do you give XP individually or divided equally between the players?
Last edited by Ferdil on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Plissken
Giant

Post by Plissken »

Ferdil, sorry but I'd like to limit playable classes to PHB1 at the moment. I handle XP by dividing XP by number of players present.

Raptor, yes that is 1 pm for you if you're in MST. Raptor, for your character you probably want to purchase chainmail because without it your AC is low. Chainmail should bring you up to 16 AC instead of 10. I noticed you have 15 gp from other stuff but just get some chainmail unless you don't want to. Nice character background and traits.

RaptorZombiejesus
Kobold

yeah youre right. I need chainmail more than i need an Everburning Torch. But I want Everburning Torch rather than Sunrods. Takes less space, and it sounds like it generates Bright Light as well, is this true? But yeah, I'm getting Chainmail. Clerics, can't be just healers. Stuck my character with a decent strength score, i could at least get some attacks of opportunity in. But his constitution sucks, there's no way around that.

Also about my personal quest, it's just about money, that's a Rogue quest, I've got somewhat of a motive, but any other Rogue can justify their ways just as simply, need an idea for a personal quest, no personal attachments to anywhere in the world, I just don't know what to do about that. Or will this campaign do it for me?

-----------------------------------------
Snap! I just realized, we only have one defender. Elondor, would you consider playing a Paladin? Be our big, strong hero? And possibly give me a hand healing? Pretty please?

Ferdil
Cave Troll

Post by Ferdil »

Plissken wrote:Ferdil, sorry but I'd like to limit playable classes to PHB1 at the moment. I handle XP by dividing XP by number of players present.

Raptor, yes that is 1 pm for you if you're in MST. Raptor, for your character you probably want to purchase chainmail because without it your AC is low. Chainmail should bring you up to 16 AC instead of 10. I noticed you have 15 gp from other stuff but just get some chainmail unless you don't want to. Nice character background and traits.
Ok, no prob, I'll play a rogue. His name is Eilen, I'm writing the sheet right now.

EDIT: here is it. If you give me some hints about the story I'll write a background that fits.
Eilen
Last edited by Ferdil on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

RaptorZombiejesus wrote:yeah youre right. I need chainmail more than i need an Everburning Torch. But I want Everburning Torch rather than Sunrods. Takes less space, and it sounds like it generates Bright Light as well, is this true?
A: Both sunrods and evertorches produce bright light. Only candles produce dim light.
B: A torch (regular or everburning) illuminates out to 5 squares
C: A sunrod illuminates out to TWENTY squares and lasts 4 hours.
D: That is a HUGE difference.
E: With sunrods, only one person in the party really needs to have one active. With torches, pretty much everyone needs to carry one.
F: Everyone in the group will have 2 sunrods from the adventurers kit. This will last the group for quite some time.
G: By the time everyone runs out of sunrods, you can easily afford an everburning torch.
H: If you don't get armor, you won't live long enough to use an everburning torch.

elondor
Kobold

Post by elondor »

Ok I made Sindaril on the myth-weaver site.

I have read about half way through the adventure my players have played 2 sessions so far. I expect my face to face game will have sessions every cpl of months so hopefully we will over take them pretty fast. I will stop reading anymore till my players get there.

Ferdil
Cave Troll

Post by Ferdil »

You forgot to link your character :mrgreen:

Return to “Scales of War”