Struggling With Resizing Tokens

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Evilgood
Kobold

Struggling With Resizing Tokens

Post by Evilgood »

I've been using TT for about a year now with no problems until today.
I accidentally added an extra 0 to the size of the token.
Now, I cannot reduce the size of the token because it's bigger than my screen. This includes being unable to scroll on the sidebar.
I have tried to navigate the window using the tab button.
I have tried to force quit TT and reload it.
I have even tried uninstalling TT, then resetting my computer before reinstalling, but it always reloads the last image I copied at the giant size.

How do I resolve this?
Attachments
This is a screenshot of the issue.
This is a screenshot of the issue.
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 8.25.05 PM.png (387.51 KiB) Viewed 9491 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Struggling With Resizing Tokens

Post by aliasmask »

I'm not sure this will work having not use the new version but try holding down the ctrl key and using the scroll on the mouse to change the size. This works for other applications, but I don't know about TT.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Did you try dragging another image in to clear the last one and then go back and drag in your original image?
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

aliasmask wrote:I'm not sure this will work having not use the new version but try holding down the ctrl key and using the scroll on the mouse to change the size. This works for other applications, but I don't know about TT.
That just changes the size of the image within the working pane, not the overall size of the window. (Same as without the <Ctrl> key.)

After fooling around with it, it would appear that the window size is based on the overlay size, which is stored in the registry, under

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\rptools\tokentool\client]
The key names are "overlay/Width/Spinner" and
"overlay/Height/Spinner"

You will probably need to be signed in to an account with administrative privileges to edit the registry, regardless of which way you do it. I think. Also note that editing the registry can do bad, bad, bad things to your computer, including making it unable to book. It is best to make a backup copy of your registry before editing it, unless you are very, very confident in what you're doing, or like living dangerously.

(It appears to default to keeping the ratio between them the same, so set them both to a reasonable value, like 256, even though height is the one causing this. Otherwise, it may change it back to match the width when the app opens.)

If you don't want to fool with regedit, you can create a text file containing this (and only this):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"overlay/Width/Spinner"="256.0"
"overlay/Height/Spinner"="256.0"
and rename it to end with ".reg" instead of ".txt". (If you don't see the file extension when you go to Rename, which you won't by default in windows, open it in Notepad, go to File-->Save As, and type in the file name, say, "TokenTool.reg" including the quotes, and save it. Then you can double-click on the .reg file to import the setting.)

I tested this on my Win 7 machine, and it worked perfectly, both manually editing the registry and using the .reg file. I do not have a Win 10 machine handy, but I've used .reg files without issue on them before.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Odd, the side panel should have added a scroll bar when needed so you could still scroll down to get at the controls.

Also, it should have maxed out at 1000x1000 but that could be too large I suppose.

I think I will add scroll bars to the portrait view instead of letting the window autosize as needed...
-Jamz

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

JamzTheMan wrote:Odd, the side panel should have added a scroll bar when needed so you could still scroll down to get at the controls.
I can confirm that it did not. (I was mildly concerned after I rendered mine in the same condition as the original poster.)
JamzTheMan wrote:Also, it should have maxed out at 1000x1000 but that could be too large I suppose.
In fact, it did, based on what I saw in regedit. I suspect that if I (or the OP) had a widescreen monitor, it wouldn't have been an issue, but I have a 6 x 9, and based on the screen shot, so does OP.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Yep, valid issue. And I'll fix it! The downside working on larger monitors...

I remember the days of having to make sure nothing went over 640x480... but with OS display scaling and all that, ya... sorry? :)
-Jamz

Evilgood
Kobold

Post by Evilgood »

taustinoc wrote:

The key names are "overlay/Width/Spinner" and
"overlay/Height/Spinner"

You will probably need to be signed in to an account with administrative privileges to edit the registry, regardless of which way you do it. I think. Also note that editing the registry can do bad, bad, bad things to your computer, including making it unable to book. It is best to make a backup copy of your registry before editing it, unless you are very, very confident in what you're doing, or like living dangerously.

(It appears to default to keeping the ratio between them the same, so set them both to a reasonable value, like 256, even though height is the one causing this. Otherwise, it may change it back to match the width when the app opens.)

If you don't want to fool with regedit, you can create a text file containing this (and only this):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"overlay/Width/Spinner"="256.0"
"overlay/Height/Spinner"="256.0"
and rename it to end with ".reg" instead of ".txt". (If you don't see the file extension when you go to Rename, which you won't by default in windows, open it in Notepad, go to File-->Save As, and type in the file name, say, "TokenTool.reg" including the quotes, and save it. Then you can double-click on the .reg file to import the setting.)

I tested this on my Win 7 machine, and it worked perfectly, both manually editing the registry and using the .reg file. I do not have a Win 10 machine handy, but I've used .reg files without issue on them before.
I tried to follow your advice as closely as OSX would allow. Alas, it was to no gain.

Evilgood
Kobold

Post by Evilgood »

JamzTheMan wrote:Yep, valid issue. And I'll fix it! The downside working on larger monitors...

I remember the days of having to make sure nothing went over 640x480... but with OS display scaling and all that, ya... sorry? :)
Take your time. I eagerly await.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Evilgood wrote: I tried to follow your advice as closely as OSX would allow. Alas, it was to no gain.
Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of OSX whatsoever.

If there's a registry editor like regedit, try just doing a search for "TokenTool." If you can find the registry entry at all, you should be able to fine the overlay entries. I would expect they're called the same.

You might also try a web search for something like "osx move window with keyboard." If you can make that work, try moving the TokenTool window off the top of the screen far enough that you can resize it with the mouse, and pull it down (and maybe to the right) far enough that you can get to what you need to update.

Or just hang on until Jamz gets the update done.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

FYI: They are stored using the standard Java Preferences API so googling that it should be saved in a file in the user's ~/Library/Preferences

Look there for a token tool file/dir. You can safely delete the whole thing if you want to restore settings.

*not a mac users either
https://alvinalexander.com/java/java-pr ... os-x-where
-Jamz

Evilgood
Kobold

Post by Evilgood »

taustinoc wrote:
Evilgood wrote: I tried to follow your advice as closely as OSX would allow. Alas, it was to no gain.

If there's a registry editor like regedit, try just doing a search for "TokenTool." If you can find the registry entry at all, you should be able to fine the overlay entries. I would expect they're called the same.

You might also try a web search for something like "osx move window with keyboard." If you can make that work, try moving the TokenTool window off the top of the screen far enough that you can resize it with the mouse, and pull it down (and maybe to the right) far enough that you can get to what you need to update.

Followed this. Used VoiceOver. Solved Problem.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Evilgood wrote:
taustinoc wrote:

Followed this. Used VoiceOver. Solved Problem.
It's good to know I'm occasionally clever.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Noice! :) Thanks for posting a solution in case someone else comes across the same issue.
-Jamz

Return to “TokenTool”