D&D4e Sunday 8:30 central

Moderator: AsherM

AsherM
Cave Troll

D&D4e Sunday 8:30 central

Post by AsherM »

Currently the game is running on b50 and using a combination of Pyro's and palmer's properties. We are currently not using voice chat.

The setting will be fairly generic fantasy with the world outlined below.

World:

Before the current age, the world existed as two distinct realms. There was a sky realm, inhabited by elves, humans (and by extension half-elves), and halflings, and an earth realm, inhabited by dwarves, tieflings, dragonborn, drow, and a variety of monstrous races.

The sky realm consisted of a series of landmasses floating in midair upon a sea of dark, roiling clouds. The people of the upper realms were unaware that there was anything else to the world as the clouds were toxic and immediately deadened any magic that entered them, thus forming an effectively impenetrable barrier. Commerce was conducted through the use of domesticated flying creatures as well as magical airships. The peoples of the upper realm were largely peaceful but limited by a lack of resources and the difficulty of establishing trade and commerce. Socially, there was a hierarchy of control with the elves almost always holding the highest positions in society.

The earth realm, on the other hand, was a dark, brutal, and savage place. The sky was forever darkened by a thick blanket of clouds so days ranged between twilight and total darkness. Plant life was hardy and in many places adapted to be more "bloodthirsty" than one might expect of a plant. Battles over scarce choice pieces of land and herds of animals were constantly fought. Things in the lower realm were largely anarchic and tribal, with the exception of the drow and the dwarves. The dwarves lived in underground strongholds, cultivating fungi and raising herds of underdark beasts. Their numbers were never great, but they left the surface, the other races, and most of the underdark alone, jealously guarding their isolated strongholds. The drow, on the other hand, were fiercely expansionary and, by the end of the last age, had managed to conquer large areas of land and enslave hosts of "lesser races" to live off. The dwarves were the only race to offer any organized resistance to the drow, and the two races shared a mutual enmity. Immediately before the cataclysm that ended the last age, the two races had begun a genocidal war (that would almost have certainly ended in the extinction of the dwarves).

The dwarves were saved and the last age ended when the magic dividing the world failed. In an instant, everything was changed as the islands, ranging from atoll sized to continent sized, rained down from the heavens. Drow, humans, halflings, and elves took massive losses as entire cities were destroyed. The dwarves in their deep strongholds and the dragonborn, who were nomads living on the fringes of the world, fared reasonably well. The surviving drow, cursing the burning light of the sun, largely fled deep underground, though some few remained on the surface. The battered races of humans, elves, halflings, and tieflings tried to rebuild. The flux of magical power also opened gateways to other planes of existence and some eladrin from the feywild and some genasi from the elemental chaos were pulled into the physical world.

It is now nearly a thousand years after the cataclysm, and civilization has re-emerged, though remnants of the last era still abound. Ruins dot the land and, often where the wreckage is worst, tall, black pillars rise up out of the battered landscape. The wilderness also abounds and is home to monsters and tribes of vicious humanoids.

Renwold:

Our game starts in the village of Renwold. It's a small town in the free cities region, named for the presence of several large autonomous city-states. Renwold is situated on a trade route between the free cities of Torvald's Reach, a dwarven stronghold located in the mountains to the west, and White Harbor, a fairly large free port to the east. To the north of Renwold are a series of rugged mountains beyond which is a vast desert that separates the dragonborn empire of Nadarreth from the free cities. Fertile plains stretch out to the south of Renwold and beyond those lies a forested region.

Renwold itself is in a fertile area and most natives are involved in agriculture. Renwold is also half a day's journey from a ruined city and rising up from the center of the city is a tall, black tower. Due to its location, Renwold attracts mercenaries seeking employment as caravan guards and adventurers hoping to find fortune among the ruins. Locals are happy to take adventurers' money but largely think them foolish given how many others have already scoured the city. (I expect most characters would be adventurers, caravan guards, or locals.) It's currently the beginning of spring, but do to unusually cold weather, not much trade has reached Renwold recently.

Players:
1. hoppingfroggy - Fate (Tiefling Warlock)
2. palmer - Kava (Dragonborn Fighter)
3. Dareus - Tarsin (Human Wizard)
4. FiveMonkeys - Itz (Human Swordmage)
5. darksydex3226 - Razz (Gnome Bard)

Treasure to date (4/22/2009):
Vengeful Bastard Sword +1 (Itz)
Cloak of Distortion +1 (Tarsin)
Thundering Halberd +1 (Kava)
Rod of Reaving +1 (Fate)
Staff of the War Mage +1 (Tarsin)
Frozen Scale +1 (Kava)
Amulet of Protection +2 (Fate)
Barkskin Hide +1 (Razz)
Cloak of Protection +1 (Razz)
Doss Lute (Razz)

670 gold
Dragon statue (260 gp)
Alchemist's Frost (3) (210 gp) (Itz)
Ritual book - make whole, enchant item, transfer enchantment, disenchant item (860 gp) (Tarsin)
some healing potions (various)
Last edited by AsherM on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 20 times in total.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Re: D&D4e Sunday or Friday 8:30 central looking for players

Post by palmer »

I'm up for Sunday evenings. I'm Pacific time so it's 6:30 for me, which is just fine.
Friday is a no-go as I work evenings, and don't get home till 11:30pm Central time.

I'm not one for voice chat. I work in a call center as it is, last thing I want to do is slap another headset on for my "relaxation". Text only is a strong preference

I am up for playing... well... just about anything to be honest. I've never been one of those people attached to a class, and I've always tended to be the "OK, we don't have a _____, roll one up" guy in games. I can handle any role, just tell me what I should be :)

That being said, I have been running my own games for a while now, and they are what I'm used to working with. They are completely custom though, and not found on the forum. I can supply the property list and Lib:token though.

Anything else?

DMonkey
Cave Troll

Post by DMonkey »

Well, this looks like fun to me! :) I've been DMing one long-termish 3.5e game for the last month and a half so when it comes to 3.5, I know what I'm doing. BUT, I've never played 4e yet. So, if you're sure that you're not worried about having someone new to 4e then I would absolutely love to play. The ONLY catch is that I live in China. So, I'm EST + 13. . . That means your Friday 8:30 game is Saturday 9:30am. And you Sunday 8:30 is my Monday 9:30. . . I would only ask that we play maybe an hour or so earlier, because I start work at 10. :( But I would still REALLY like to play. :) PM/Email me and let me know.

I too can play anything but I lean towards the Rogue class. :) I think I really like the Eldren Rogue. :) That's a killer combo. Specially because I could use Fey Step and POOF ;) Flanking+Sneakattack!! Sounds like a fun thing to play. Well let me know if I can play.

Justin

Hold on Tight
Hold on Forever

AsherM
Cave Troll

Post by AsherM »

@ DMonkey -- I'd be happy to have you on board. Unfortunately, I'm putting my kids to bed and around this time and can't reasonably commit to starting an hour earlier.

@ palmer -- I'd prefer Sundays in general as well. So far, no one else has strong preferences regarding voice chat. Could you send me your properties, lib token, and a sample token? I'd love to see what you've got. I'm not sold on Pyro's but that's what we're using in the games I'm playing in.

Hopefully, a couple more people will respond and we can get something going soon. I'll post some background stuff in the next couple of days when I get a chance to sit down for a few minutes.

Five_Monkeys
Cave Troll

Post by Five_Monkeys »

I think I might like to join. Fridays don't work for me, as I've already joined another group on these boards, but Sundays are totally doable.

I've been looking for somewhere to test out the Swordmage class, so I'd like to call dibs on that, if I can. Sooo excited to play one... *salivates*

I can do voicechat or no voicechat, but I kind of prefer it without. Makes immersion easier for me. Feel free to PM me here or e-mail me at [email protected]
Last edited by Five_Monkeys on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sepp
Dragon

Post by Sepp »

Well, I already have a game Sundays, but I couldn't pass up a chance to reccomend Deviant Nulls work.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6596

ManlyKobold
Kobold

Post by ManlyKobold »

I'm interested in joining if there's any room left. I'm leaning toward the wizard class this time around, but I wouldn't mind playing as the other classes in case if we're missing a defender or leader role.

Edit: Here's my e-mail, [email protected]

Kaveman
Kobold

Post by Kaveman »

Hey man not sure if you got my PM but I'd be really keen on playing Sundays if your still looking. I'd be keen on playing a human artificer if you've got a spot free. Not too fussed on voice chat or not I'm happy either way.
Cheers.

AsherM
Cave Troll

Post by AsherM »

@ Kaveman -- I did get your PM and sent you an email. Human artificer would be fine.

@ ManlyKobold -- We've got room, and no one has claimed wizard yet.

@ FiveMonkeys -- I really like the swordmage, probably my favorite class right now. Obviously others will disagree.

Assuming people who've contacted me so far make up the group, the votes are overwhelmingly Sunday and no voice chat, so I'll plan on that.

ManlyKobold
Kobold

Post by ManlyKobold »

I have a quick "n00b" question; what format do you want our character sheets to be, like PDF?

AsherM
Cave Troll

Post by AsherM »

You can write up a character sheet using an online profiler and post a link here so everyone can see it, e.g. using http://www.myth-weavers.com/.

I have toyed with the idea of asking people to send me a saved character builder file using the dnd char. builder so I can quickly check that everything is kosher without having to redo it all myself. If you can print to a .pdf file (or a .ps file which everyone can do), you could post the resulting file from the char builder here.

You can email me at

chansen dot church @ gmail dot com

Five_Monkeys
Cave Troll

Post by Five_Monkeys »

What a crazy coincidence! Looks like we have an all arcane group going. We should use that! Anyway, here's the sheet for my Swordmage. I -might- switch to a Shielding Swordmage. Still undecided. I know the Shielding one is probably stronger, but the Assault one just looks like so much fun.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=107301

AsherM
Cave Troll

Post by AsherM »

With five takers so far, I think it would be helpful to get some character sheets for me to look at. With that in mind, here is some info for you.

EDIT: Moved to first post.
Last edited by AsherM on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

AsherM
Cave Troll

Post by AsherM »

Dareus -- I've already got five takers and don't want to run with more than that. I'd be happy to put you as an alternate in case somebody bails or something.

Return to “Renwold”