Beneath the Athasian Sun

Moderator: vizier

vizier
Cave Troll

Beneath the Athasian Sun

Post by vizier »

This is the official thread for our Sunday night Dark Sun 4th edition campaign. This thread is under construction, most of the rules you read here are copy and pasted from an outdated thread so its very rough right now. I will be stream lining this post and updating it with more info as we go.

Day Time: Sundays 8pm EST / 5pm PST
Framework: Rumble

Character Generation:

-Method 1 or 2 From the PHB for score please
-Start with a bone version of any classic dnd weapon you wish
-30 bits worth of gear (or 30 bits)
-Leather Armor or basic Hide Armor

Character alignment must be some where in the realm of "good". I have no problem with fighting or theft within reason, but mass murdering of innocents is not allowed. Other than that this is a freeform game. There wont be any "scripted adventures" where the DM forces the players to jump through hoops because the module they bought says so. I want you guys to have free reign to do whatever you wish. I just want your overall actions to be "good".

Race / Classes allowed:
you can choose any "classic" dnd race (elf dwarf human etc). Half giants are a playable race (use goliath rules) Muls (half dwarfs) are playable as well just use the half orc rules.

As far as classes go all pure melee classes are allowed as is. All pure magic classes will be allowed (though some will have non combat RPing roles associated with them). Arcane magic classes (wizard sorc etc) will have to choose between Preserver and Defiler versions of that class as stated in the rules. Divine magic users (cleric paladin etc) are part of the Templars, but I may consider them PC playable classes if you can come up with a clever back story.

Hybrid classes such as swordmage will not be allowed. Druids are fine and wardens are fine. All 4 psionic classes detailed below are playable. Monks and all pure melee classes are fine as I said before.

Dark Sun 4th Ed Conversion rules and notes.

Monetary System (metal poor setting):

10 ceramic bits (bits) = 1 ceramic piece (Cp)
100 Cp = 1 Silver Piece (Sp)
1 gold piece = 1 astral diamond

**Athasian Weapons Update**

Ok so I have finalized (mostly) how I want to handle regular weaps vs Athasian weaps and here it is:

From now on in addition to the -2 damage roll penalty (-1 for Obsidian):

Bone, Chittin, or Obsidian versions of standard DnD weapons (longsword, mace, quarterstaff, etc) will have a 50%(Obsidian 75%) chance of breaking when you roll a 1 on an attack using the weapon.

Athasian weapons such as the Forearm Razor, or the Cahulaks will not break like that. This simulates the idea that inferior materials such as bones are better off in their more natural state than molded into a blade. Athas is a brutal place and their native weapons are dangerous. Characters who invest time and money into training will reap the rewards.

*Magically or Psionically enhanced weapons never have a chance of breaking.

**Weapons Update - Proficiencies**

All characters will start the game with a bonus weapon proficiency of their choice, but you must use this proficiency on an Athasian weapon. You do not have to choose the proficiency right away. If you want to wait and see what some of the weapons are like from a RP perspective thats fine.

Additionally, you will be able to buy proficiencies for the new Athasian weapons by seeking out weapons masters and paying a fee (or trading somehow). Some weapons may have statistics or skill requirements you must meet to become proficient. An Impaler for example has a STR 14 proficiency req. so anyone can use an Impaler but to get the proficiency bonus you have be strong enough to wield it properly. These proficiencies will not count against any maximum proficiencies limit your character may have.

Once you are proficient in with the weapon you will get the attack bonus just like any other weapon. Some trainers are better than others and the bonus you get will reflect that. As a rule of thumb the Athasian weapons are more powerful than the bone versions of classic weapons. Now go find some new weapons!

Partial Athasian weapons list:
Carrikal (basic)- 1d8 One handed. Prof Bonus +3 attack
Datchi Club (basic) Reach 2 - 1d10 two handed. Prof Bonus +1 attack, 1d12 Damage
Gythka (basic) Reach 2 -1d10 two handed. Prof Bonus +3 attack
Lotulis (basic) 1d10 - two handed. Prof Bonus +3. Wielder cannot be flanked by 2 or fewer opponents.
Chatkcha - ranged 10 / one handed 1d8+1 damage. Prof Bonus +2 attack, chatkcha returns on a miss (glove req'd)
Kyorkcha - ranged 10 1d8+1 Prof Bonus: +3 attack, Kyorka returns on a miss (glove req'd)
Dejada - Ranged 5 - 1d8(+poison effects) / one handed 1d6 damage. Prof Bonus Ranged 10 +2 attack.

**Weapons Update - Poisons**

Poisons are effective in combat and I have an extensive list of them. Contact Poisons, Inhaled Poison, Injury Poisons and Ingested poisons are the four main types. Some poisons are quite deadly but also quite expensive, and rare. There are several places to find poisons around Tyr, they may be able to craft you strong poisons at discounted prices if you bring them the components they need...

Contact and Injury poisons can be applied to your weapons. Some classes are better at using and applying poisons and they will get more applications per vial. Inhaled and Ingested poisons are more suitable for non combat applications such as drugging a few guards water source to get past them etc.

Sample list of Poisons and their effects:

Contact Poisons:
Agony Beetle Blood: 30 bits / vial. 1d4 poison damage.
Mulworm Extract: 120 bits/ vial. 1d6 poison damage.
Antloid Venom: 20Cp / Vial. 1d6 acid damage and og 5 acid damage (save ends)

Injury Poisons:
*Shirral's Kiss: 20 bits / vial. 1 damage and og 5 poison damage. Target is dazed (save ends both).
Kivit: 40 bits / vial. 1d4 acid damage.
Elf Scent: 10Cp / Vial 1d6 poison damage.

*Shirrals Kiss is an example of a signature poison. Its very effective for the cost but you can only buy it from Shirral. Most vendors in Tyr have signature goods for sale.

**Weapons Update - Athasian Weapon Groups**

In the interest of keeping things simple and making the Athasian weapons as accessible as possible here is the weapon group conversion rule:

Any Melee weapon 10lbs+ = Athasian Heavy Weapon = Polearm, Heavy Blade, Axe, Hammer

Any Melee Weapon 9lbs- = Athasian Light Weapon = Light Blade, Mace, Flail, Staff

Any Ranged Weapon = Athasian Ranged Weapon = Bow, Crossbow (Misc Ranged).

With this system you can choose a weapon from the following list, look up its weight to determine the weapon type and then substitute it for ANY of the regular 4th edition weapon groups listed.

Yes exceptions can be made on a case by case basis but this is the system I want to use for now due to its simplicity.

Here is the link to the list:

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%20fi ... apons.xlsx

Ignore the damage column, its not accurate but I left it in the doc so you could see how the weapons stacked up RELATIVE to eachother. 4th Edition damage was revamped so the Athasian weapons will reflect that change as well.

Obviously converting this entire list to 4th rules would me a massive job so what we are going to do is this: Pick a weapon or two at MOST and I will convert it for you. There is a new feature on the server called the Weapon Gallery. There you can see full sized pictures of all the weapons to get a better idea of what they do. You can also DL this free document here that gives a good write up on a lot of weapons. I have info on all the weapons and flavor text to go with so just pick what you like and I will fill in the details.

Heres the free 3rd Rules for Dark Sun:

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%20fi ... 030717.pdf

** Armor Update - Piecemeal Armor Rules**

Here is the finalized table. You will be seeing all the pieces of these armor sets on vendors from now on. Remember, this table is the BASIC list you can find all the basic weapons and armor in Shadow Square. Go to the Elven Market and other areas of Tyr to find customized versions.

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%20fi ... Armor.xlsx

The speed penalites are linked to the breastplates. More info on this topic coming soon!

**Class update - Psionics**

We have four complete Psionics classes to choose from. Shaper, Telepath, Psion and Soulknife.

Shaper - http://psionicsproject.googlegroups.com ... eta_v1.pdf ?gda=_tZ_1mMAAAAv-M_5fEai2yvRgI3NTTucMMcKbZJvc1HWnqPO_m1Q_K-kdWAEjl9GoMAU7URQQfbf0We9 WEgg-F8JD54vPnXtYoIHZkAdA84A6wx8_yU29zK2In4d0Zhhw-L_T2mXw3sVYu945paPNtiemeSmbFxa&hl=e n

Telepath - http://psionicsproject.googlegroups.com ... h_Alpha_v1. pdf?gda=HVLdTGYAAAAv-M_5fEai2yvRgI3NTTuchX1_xq6ygfchIukf9-k_i6-kdWAEjl9GoMAU7URQQfaaO pViKvIn5iLsdg3cu33B57WZkxm-5EkkyHia1KtWbbirOZHLDukRFhsghtNVVAgT4RrsbFgy3S3qdjS5XkUh

Psion: http://www.freewebs.com/kardon29/Psion%20Beta.pdf

Soulknife: http://psionicsproject.googlegroups.com ... v1.pdf?gda =W501oF8AAACM0eh_a1GYC24juj_m_X70dZV7ksiIw7OSJe3S34HiVamWO94CcfjuUlDOZ5obSbF13m_iLGrH xiEG_zP3EX2etIjSbxXZ-mLvZzPpusgwlJxzIUqf6s0oL53Wkz8h1XQ

**Gameplay Update - Defiling**

Here is a basic framework for how Defiling works in 4th edition. We can test this out and tweak as it goes along.

The base is a minor action to gather energy.

Heroic spells do burst 1 defilement. Paragon spells do burst 2. Epic do burst 3. Any additional spells in that area increase the burst by one. After a burst is size 6, it takes a move action to gather the energy needed due to all of the dead land that wants to absorb the energy. At burst 10, it takes a standard action to gather the energy needed for a spell. (This could be modified by terrain type but then I don't know how simple it stays.)

Basic defiling gives the CON or WIS bonus to damage for the spell, whichever is higher. It's a matter of how much they can handle, physically or mentally.

For each additional action spent gathering energy, of whatever type is needed based on how much area is defiled around them, allows the addition of an extra die of damage as well as the bonus above. Gives a "high" feeling and temp hit points (INT or WIS mod) but costs a healing surge as the energy goes through the character. Instead of an extra die of damage, for the cost of two minor actions, the base damage die increases by one step.
Defiling is the only way to grab the energy quick enough to power a spell in combat more effectively. A preserver could do it but it would take a standard action for each extra energy they grab, which isn't useful in combat, but it could be done.

Then, to continue with my ideas, preservers have an easier time controlling energy because of how they grabbed it. I would remove the minor action to sustain any spells they have going, or reduce it by one action type. That would allow defiling to be powerful for one shot, damage spells and preserving better for long term spells. In 4E terms, this makes defilers good strikers and preservers good controllers.

Dragon magic, or energy channeled through obsidian prepared in the proper way, drains one, two or three healing surges based on the tier of spell being used to those in the burst including the caster. Further, as it's defiling magic, this energy can be used to increase damage as above.

A character can hold magic for a spell equal to a number of minutes for preserving or rounds for defiling equal to WIS or CON ability score modifier, whichever is higher. If not used before then, the preserver loses the magic as it dissipates back to the environment. The defiler loses a healing surge as the energy rips out of him as he can't hold it anymore.
Finally, preserving magic can be used to heal a character. (Mainly because this happened in the books.) A preserver can spend an encounter ability to let the character spend a healing surge or a daily to give the character back hit points as if a healing surge was used but it comes from the magic, not the person healed.
Last edited by vizier on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:58 am, edited 9 times in total.

vizier
Cave Troll

Re: Beneath the Athasian Sun

Post by vizier »

reserved.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Interesting on the weapon stuff... I would be hesitant to do a -2 to damage though as I'm feeling now that the default damage is lower than it should be compared to monster HP. One downside is anything with a Weapon keyword compared to Implement is inherently worse...

I do love the break idea =)

Gotta ponder the defiling bit... thanks for this. I'm eager to look at the psionic classes when I get home.

Psybuster
Kobold

Post by Psybuster »

I was the one who emailed you late yesterday/early today. Dark Sun 4e Server shows up on the public list in Maptool but I always time out trying to connect to it. I don't seem to have any problem connecting to some other servers I tried out at random. Using version 1.3-b56 too.

Anyway I asked someone else about 2e's version of Dark Sun and from the sound of it full on casters generally aren't allowed? Are "half-casters" like Paladin, Avenger, Bard, Swordmage fine? I have other questions too such as what can actually be bought with the starting 30 bits but the allowed races and classes is the most important part for planning for now.
DCI: 6214-107-884
It's LFR, baby!
Fir {Paladin 4} - The Clueless Wanderer
Malfis {Avenger 8} - The Monk in Disguise

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

Paladins and avengers are allowed. They are part of the Templars though. One idea for a PC backstory could be a Templar washout / wannabe looking to prove something. If you can think of a creative and believable way for your character not to be affiliated with the Templars I will allow PCs to choose those classes. You must keep in mind though that you magical power comes from Kalak himself, he is nearly a god after all. I have a few ideas in mind to get around that issue as well but you get the idea.

flarebright
Kobold

Post by flarebright »

Vizier,

I pmed you my proposed character draft. Please review and advise on what, if any, changes I need to make.

Not sure about starting wealth/money rules.

We are supposed to start with 30 ceramic bits.
Which according to the chart above is equal to 3 ceramic peaces then, then you have (cp) after that. Does it means that it's the same as 3 copper peaces in core rules?
If yes then I don't see how can we buy anything with it.

Are prices for items in your dark sun campaign the same as in core?
For example would standard adventures kit still cost 15 gold?

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

flarebright wrote:Vizier,

I pmed you my proposed character draft. Please review and advise on what, if any, changes I need to make.

Not sure about starting wealth/money rules.

We are supposed to start with 30 ceramic bits.
Which according to the chart above is equal to 3 ceramic peaces then, then you have (cp) after that. Does it means that it's the same as 3 copper peaces in core rules?
If yes then I don't see how can we buy anything with it.

Are prices for items in your dark sun campaign the same as in core?
For example would standard adventures kit still cost 15 gold?
Forget everything you know about gear costs since a lot of it doesn't apply in a metal poor setting. That said, 30 bits wont buy you much...a weeks stay at a crumby inn meals not included would run about 30 bits.

Do not fear! There are many ways to earn money in Tyr and you will discover them soon.

Psybuster
Kobold

Post by Psybuster »

Just curious how heavy armor is supposed to work in a metal-poor setting?
DCI: 6214-107-884
It's LFR, baby!
Fir {Paladin 4} - The Clueless Wanderer
Malfis {Avenger 8} - The Monk in Disguise

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

woot I can't wait for tommorrow man I got my dude ready to go. Dwarf Shaman (Bear, "The Great Sand Drake"). What else have you guys comin' up with??
"Nat 20 man, reroll a plate wearer next time."
Kugan - "All bless the god KA-CHING!"

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

Sorry I haven't been posting more updates but the reason is because I have been very busy developing the campaign :)

I have really started to get a better grip on sketchup and I think that all of my future maps / backdrops will be coming from there. Heres a sample of the types of maps I am able to make now. This map is a semi spoiler but nothing major.

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%20fi ... nalweb.jpg

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

Hey if everyone could please start posting links to their char sheets that would help me out a lot.

Sabin Stargem
Cave Troll

Post by Sabin Stargem »

Here you go. This character who specializes in brawling. An former gladiator, he left his home to explore the wastes, seeking nothing except combat and to sate his curiosity. Is there more to life than just living in the wastes?

(Copy and paste the character sheet below into the Summary section of the Character Builder.)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Gihren, level 1
Goliath, Monk
Build: Centered Breath Monk
Monastic Tradition: Centered Breath

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 15, Dex 14, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 13, Dex 14, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13.

AC: 14 Fort: 14 Reflex: 13 Will: 13
HP: 27 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +7, Stealth +7, Acrobatics +7, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +1, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History +1, Insight +1, Intimidate +1, Nature +3, Perception +1, Religion +1, Streetwise +1, Thievery +2

FEATS
Level 1: Slow Fall

POWERS
Monk at-will 1: Dragon's Tail
Monk at-will 1: Crane's Wings
Monk daily 1: Masterful Spiral
Monk encounter 1: Drunken Monkey

ITEMS
Monk Unarmed Strike, Leather Armor
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Last edited by Sabin Stargem on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

Looks great thanks Sabin.

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

Hey Sabin how did you do that, I have the character builder and have my guy on there, I haven't been usin' it long so if you could help me out so I can post my guy I'd appreciate that.
"Nat 20 man, reroll a plate wearer next time."
Kugan - "All bless the god KA-CHING!"

Sabin Stargem
Cave Troll

Post by Sabin Stargem »

If I understood your question right, you want a quick copy of your character's stats. First, go to Summary inside of the Manage tab. There are two options that allow you to Import or Export from the Clipboard. Import takes information from Windows Clipboard and puts it into the DDI Program, while Export takes information from the Builder so you can paste the information into forums like this one.

EDIT: Vizier, I changed one of my At-Will powers from Dragon's Tail to Cobra's Dance. I missed a crucial detail about the Monk powers. The character summary above has been replaced in order to reflect this change. I also switched out my Leather Armor feat, since the Monk gets +2 AC when not wearing armor.
Last edited by Sabin Stargem on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Dark Sun - 4th Edition”