Re: Beneath the Athasian Sun

Post by heathan666 »

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Grakaalshk the Mad, level 1
Dwarf, Shaman
Build: Bear Shaman
Companion Spirit: Protector Spirit

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 18, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 9.

AC: 12 Fort: 15 Reflex: 10 Will: 15
HP: 30 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +9, History +5, Heal +9, Religion +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +6, Insight +4, Intimidate -1, Perception +4, Stealth, Streetwise -1, Thievery, Athletics

FEATS
Level 1: Shared Healing Spirit

POWERS
Shaman at-will 1: Defending Strike
Shaman daily 1: Spirit of the Healing Flood
Shaman encounter 1: Thunder Bear's Warding

ITEMS
Greatclub, Leather Armor, Totem
"Nat 20 man, reroll a plate wearer next time."
Kugan - "All bless the god KA-CHING!"

Psybuster
Kobold

Post by Psybuster »

Few more questions if you don't mind.

1) Are Gnomes part of the "classic" DnD races? From what I can tell they've been around DnD for a while but aren't part of the Dark Sun setting in particular?

2) I don't understand what the difference between preservers and defilers is (just flavor?), and on that note, what the defiling mechanic is even for. Is it specifically for special encounters, required for casters whenever they cast spells, or something else entirely? There's options for increasing damage and burst size but I have no idea what the base damage/range are since they're not listed.

3) As far as character creation goes, should PHB2 and/or Scales of War backgrounds be used or left out?
DCI: 6214-107-884
It's LFR, baby!
Fir {Paladin 4} - The Clueless Wanderer
Malfis {Avenger 8} - The Monk in Disguise

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

1) No.

2) Defilers can "charge up" as a minor action. Preservers can charge up as a standard action, so they would need to use an AP to have the same effect as defiling. Preservers can heal as described in the rules as well.

3) All Official 4th material is allowed, but the race class restriction will remain in effect.

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

**IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT**

I have added a great deal of content to our campaign. Due to the large size of some of the maps I have set up a file for all the players to download.

Unzip these files to your (user)\.maptool\assetcache\ folder. Then when you join my game you will be able to switch maps in a few seconds. This will make your game run a lot faster.

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%20fi ... tcache.zip

I will still be utilizing repositories of course, but please try and use that zip file before the game it will make everything run a lot smoother.

Heres a spoiler of Shadow Square in Tyr and just a small taste of things to come:

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%20fi ... bbtest.jpg

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

I just wanted to expand a bit on the Defiling / Preserving.

Lets say im a Defiler Wizard and I want to attack a half giant guard with magic missle. I could first use a minor action to "charge up" the spell which would add your wis / con bonus to damage. If you charge up again it adds a die of damage in addition to everything else. You could then cast the spell and get the bonus damage. OR you could use a move action and wait until next turn when you can charge it up more then unleash hell.

Preservers charge up as a standard action but they can heal people and they can maintain spells easier. A preserver reduced the action type of maintained spells by 1. So a Standard action to > minor action > free action > immediate interrupt.

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

Vizier I have to say I don't like that system of defiline/preserving, no offense. I think avoiding it for now would be best because it should also effect ritual magic. As for manipulating combat magic I'd make it feats for the casters, like

Defiling Destruction
Prerequisite: Arcane Class
Effect: As a minor action the caster can sacrifice a Healing Surge and recieves a bonus to damage rolls equal to its Wis/Con bonus. This ability can only be used once per encounter.
Seeking the Life
Prerequisite: Arcane Class
Effect: As a minor action when the caster attacks a bloodied target that target, the caster recieves a +1 bonus to hit.

This is just my oppinion btw, and I only speak for myself.

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

No offense taken since i didnt come up with it. It was taken from the Athas.org forums where people are trying to paste together a rudimentary 4th ed conversion for Dark Sun. I havent actually playtested it yet and I want to at least try it out before I get rid of it.

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

Just another FYI, I am going to treat a character sheet posted in this thread as your *garunteed seat at the table on Sunday. Theres a lot of interest right now and I am trying to get a dependable group together for some good campaign style gaming. So post early post often!

Psybuster
Kobold

Post by Psybuster »

http://psybuster.fileave.com/dnd4e/Setia.pdf

Setia Delicieux, level 1
Eladrin, Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Staff of Defense

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 13, Int 20, Wis 13, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 11, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 18 Fort: 11 Reflex: 15 Will: 14
HP: 30 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +6, Arcana +12, Dungeoneering +6, History +12, Religion +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Heal +1, Insight +1, Intimidate, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth +1, Streetwise, Thievery +1, Athletics -1

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Armor Proficiency (Leather)

POWERS
Wizard at-will 1: Scorching Burst
Wizard at-will 1: Illusory Ambush
Tome of Readiness: Icy Terrain
Wizard daily 1: Flaming Sphere
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Sleep
Wizard encounter 1: Grasping Shadows

ITEMS
Spellbook, Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Implement, Staff, Fine Clothing, Tent
RITUALS
Amanuensis, Comprehend Language, Secret Page

Notes: Preserver

I have family business to attend to starting tomorrow morning which requires a 6-7 hour drive. While I'm assuming I'll be back home on Sunday in time to play, it's possible I could be delayed by traffic and whatnot. Doesn't mean I'm flaking out or anything though, just unfortunate circumstances this week. I'll be able to keep an eye on this thread and emails though over the course of the weekend.
Last edited by Psybuster on Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
DCI: 6214-107-884
It's LFR, baby!
Fir {Paladin 4} - The Clueless Wanderer
Malfis {Avenger 8} - The Monk in Disguise

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

Farax
Eladrin (Nightrunner Elf) Wizard/preserver

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&pid=gm ... /pdf&pli=1

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

OK so Haaku. Xaph and Zory are the only 3 players from last weeks game that I havent heard from. Im going to hold their spots for now and assume they will be playing on Sunday.

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

nvm I totally missed that.

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

Heathan when you lib token is in place i get the following error when I load a campaign:

Error running onCampaignLoad on LIB:MiscFunctions : You do not have permission to call the defineFunction function

Doesnt seem to affect anything but id rather not get it if possible.

Farax
Kobold

Post by Farax »

Sorry to be a NOOB, but how do people have 30 HPs at first level? Obviously there is something I don't understand about 4th edition character generation.

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

hmmm I'm not sure I'll have to talk to my friend who made that macro and let him see. That is just one part of the macro that allows you to whisper multiple people at once (if you look there should be a macro that says multi-whisper).

Return to “Dark Sun - 4th Edition”