Rumble Framework

Moderator: vizier

Farax
Kobold

Rumble Framework

Post by Farax »

What version of the Rumble Framework are we using?

I was having alot of trouble with it last night, and now that I read through the forums again I find that I was using ver 3.2 while there is a ver 4.0 available --- So I wanted to make certain that we are all standardized on the same version.

-Farax

Tepshen
Kobold

Re: Rumble Framework

Post by Tepshen »

I dont think we are all using the same version. I am using a token from v.3.1 and was also having problems. I know that heathan666(Grakaalshk) uses his own framework and zorya(sp? cant recall) is using web generated macros to avoid the compatability issue.
Tepshen Lahl
Gaulin Ev'ran
Xaphan the Grim

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

Are the versions backward compatible?

Tepshen
Kobold

Post by Tepshen »

vizier wrote:Are the versions backward compatible?
To be candid, I am not a framework guru. However, I think parts would be compatible since its the same guy using the same codes. On the flip side, there are going to be features that are not compatible if they are newer or changed code. For example with my 3.1 token I cannot use skill checks and I imagine the combat macros will also be a problem since rumble has been updating his combat system like crazy to reach 4.0.

As I understand from his posts rumble's 4.0 is the last major update for a while. I don't know if its a simple matter to update to this system with your campaign but it may be the best way to get everyone on the same page with their tokens. He's put up a tool to update old tokens into this system but I have not used it so I have no idea how good it is. The alternative could be to upload a copy of the older framework you are using so we can use that as a base for the tokens or to use another framework altogether.

Someone who is more informed might have some better ideas. I personally favor rumbles framework and would suggest updating to take advantage of the new features which look pretty awesome.
Tepshen Lahl
Gaulin Ev'ran
Xaphan the Grim

Farax
Kobold

Post by Farax »

The readme file that comes with the full Rumble 4.0 package includes some basic instructions for upgrading an existing campaign to this new version:
Upgrading to Version 4

For those of you who know how this stuff works, the downloadable package contains not only the full campaign file, but also the individual components – library token, NPC and PC templates, properties, and the “updater” macro.

Library Token: you should be able to drop this in to the campaign without trouble. Replace your older Lib:4e with the new one, and make sure to run onCampaignLoad .

Properties File: here’s a tricky part – I’ve removed the NPC property set, since it was essentially identical to the PC token set, and the differences were minor enough to be negligible. There is now only the “Basic” property set. You will need to import the new properties, so I recommend that you change your NPCs to have the Basic property set before doing so – I don’t know what happens if you don’t.

Macro Buttons: I’ve experimented with using images for some of the macro buttons. I have no idea what will happen to people trying to upgrade. If MapTool locks up, let me know, and I will create a no-images button set also so you can upgrade successfully. Everything might work fine, but who knows.

Updater Macro: this macro should be imported to your campaign macros. When you run it on a token, it will update the power information to contain the new variables required for tracking conditions and their duration.

Running Combat: you must use the Initiative Panel to manage combat and effect-duration tracking. Each character will need to, when they receive initiative, use the Start Turn macro to handle any effects that occur at the beginning of their turn, and when finished their turn, use the End Turn macro to process end of turn effects, and advance initiative.

Sabin Stargem
Cave Troll

Post by Sabin Stargem »

Are we using the v4.0 framework?

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

Ok lets use the 4.0 framework. I dont want to get into a situation where we have to constantly patch framework but 4.0 seems like a good place to start.

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

IM really not good at the framework jargon. All I know is Grak's token works pretty well and the macros are clean and easy to read. I will put it up to a vote but I say lets all use whatever Grak is using.

+1 Grak's

Tepshen
Kobold

Post by Tepshen »

I'd be willing to learn how to use it but we would have to set aside some time for explanations. As is, I cannot understand how it works from the campaign file he has posted on the forums.
Tepshen Lahl
Gaulin Ev'ran
Xaphan the Grim

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

I know lol I cant understand much of it either. I dont use any of the fancy macro I just stick to plain text macros that do nothing but show dice rolls, and frankly thats all I need from them.

trapline
Kobold

Post by trapline »

I'm really going to recommend we start using Veg framework guys

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6276

its got a how to use included and its simple and well supported, All the other games I play in use it, and by following the step by step instructions it will be easier.

The only thing i noticed in playing veggie games is that the dm needs to create the token for the players, so that it is saved in their hosting campaign and the player can then take the token after it's been made.

I am not sure if that's the case with rumble, but as no one seems to know anything about rumble, maybe going with the more popular and used framework that comes with instruction is a better bet.

Return to “Dark Sun - 4th Edition”