Dark Sun setting equipment and economy

Moderator: vizier

flarebright
Kobold

Dark Sun setting equipment and economy

Post by flarebright »

It looks like we have a lot of setting specific equipment and prices so I though it would be nice to have a location to keep track of this information.

Here is the info I got so far:

Monetary System (metal poor setting):

10 ceramic bits (bits) = 1 ceramic piece (Cp)
100 Cp = 1 Silver Piece (Sp)
1 gold piece = 1 astral diamond

For Rituals and enchantments residium cost 1 cp is equal to 1 gp in core 4e rules.

Rules for normal dnd none magical weapons made from obsidian/bone (includes our starting gear)

-2 damage for bone
-1 damage for obsidian

Bone, Chittin, or Obsidian versions of standard DnD weapons (longsword, mace, quarterstaff, etc) will have a 50%(Obsidian 75%) chance of breaking when you roll a 1 on an attack using the weapon.

Athasian weapons such as the Forearm Razor, or the Cahulaks will not break like that. This simulates the idea that inferior materials such as bones are better off in their more natural state than molded into a blade. Athas is a brutal place and their native weapons are dangerous. Characters who invest time and money into training will reap the rewards.

*Magically or Psionically enhanced weapons never have a chance of breaking.

Partial Athasian weapons list:
Carrikal (basic)- 1d8 One handed. Prof Bonus +3 attack
Datchi Club (basic) Reach 2 - 1d10 two handed. Prof Bonus +1 attack, 1d12 Damage
Gythka (basic) Reach 2 -1d10 two handed. Prof Bonus +3 attack
Lotulis (basic) 1d10 - two handed. Prof Bonus +3. Wielder cannot be flanked by 2 or fewer opponents.
Chatkcha - ranged 10 / one handed 1d8+1 damage. Prof Bonus +2 attack, chatkcha returns on a miss (glove req'd)
Kyorkcha - ranged 10 1d8+1 Prof Bonus: +3 attack, Kyorka returns on a miss (glove req'd)
Dejada - Ranged 5 - 1d8(+poison effects) / one handed 1d6 damage. Prof Bonus Ranged 10 +2 attack.

**Weapons Update - Poisons**

Poisons are effective in combat and there is an extensive list of them. Contact Poisons, Inhaled Poison, Injury Poisons and Ingested poisons are the four main types. Some poisons are quite deadly but also quite expensive, and rare. There are several places to find poisons around Tyr, they may be able to craft you strong poisons at discounted prices if you bring them the components they need...

Contact and Injury poisons can be applied to your weapons. Some classes are better at using and applying poisons and they will get more applications per vial. Inhaled and Ingested poisons are more suitable for non combat applications such as drugging a few guards water source to get past them etc.

Sample list of Poisons and their effects:

Contact Poisons:
Agony Beetle Blood: 30 bits / vial. 1d4 poison damage.
Mulworm Extract: 120 bits/ vial. 1d6 poison damage.
Antloid Venom: 20Cp / Vial. 1d6 acid damage and og 5 acid damage (save ends)

Injury Poisons:
*Shirral's Kiss: 20 bits / vial. 1 damage and og 5 poison damage. Target is dazed (save ends both).
Kivit: 40 bits / vial. 1d4 acid damage.
Elf Scent: 10Cp / Vial 1d6 poison damage.

*Shirrals Kiss is an example of a signature poison. Its very effective for the cost but you can only buy it from Shirral. Most vendors in Tyr have signature goods for sale.

**Armor Update - Piecemeal Armor System**
As I understand we will be using piecemeal armor system.

flarebright
Kobold

Re: Dark Sun setting equipment and economy

Post by flarebright »

Requesting the following info from DM Vizier.

It would be really nice to know the group tipe of the setting weapons (such as heavy blades/light blades/polearms and so on) It is important for feats and class features.

Also would be nice to know if any can be thrown and if so normal/long ranges for those.

Also I think the team is getting to the point where we will soon have cash to look into armor updates so details on the peace meal armor system would be appriciated (or we could stick with core versions of armor for now).

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

I will be posting more weapons and armor info TODAY so stay tuned. I am just hammering out a few details.

Im going to be posting some excel docs I have, can everyone open excel files ok??

Test

Code: Select all

Armor Type	Full Suit	Breast  Plate	  Two  Arms	   One Arm    	Two Legs  	 One Leg	Speed
Bone Armor	6	3	2	1	1	0	0
Wastelander Gear	4	2	1	0	1	0	0
Tyrian Gladiator Outfit*	6	3	2	1	1	0	-1
Drakescale Armor	5	2	2	1	1	0	0
Chittin Warsuit	8	4	2	1	2	1	-1
Reinforced Chittin Warsuit	9	4	3	1	2	1	-1
Hide  armor (generic)	4	2	1	0	1	0	0
Leather armor (generic)	2	1	1	0	0	0	0
Padded  armor	2	1	1	0	0	0	0
Chittin Armor	7	3	2	1	2	1	-1
Mul's Leather	3	1	1	0	1	0	0
Elven Wastelander Gear*	4	2	1	0	1	0	0
Agony Beetle Carapace*	6	3	2	1	1	0	0
Studded leather	3	1	1	0	1	0	0

Weapon		Cost	Damage	Critical	Range	Weight

Simple Weapons—Melee						
Puchik	:	4 cp	1d4	×3	--	1 lb.
Club	:	15bits	1d6	×2	--	3 lb.
Halfspear 	:	1 cp	1d6	×3	--	3 lb.
Quabone	:	3 cp	1d6§	×2	--	4 lb.
Tonfa*	:	5 cp	1d4	×2	--	2 lb.
Great Tonfa *	:	10 cp	1d6	×2	--	5 lb.
Shortspear a	:	2 cp	1d8	x3	--	5 lb.
Quarterstaff ‡	:	30bits	1d6/1d6	×2	--	4 lb
Giant’s Staff ‡	:	10 Cp	1d8/1d8	x2	--	10 lb

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

**Weapons Update - Athasian Weapon Groups**

In the interest of keeping things simple and making the Athasian weapons as accessible as possible here is the weapon group conversion rule:

Any Melee weapon 10lbs+ = Athasian Heavy Weapon = Polearm, Heavy Blade, Axe, Hammer

Any Melee Weapon 9lbs- = Athasian Light Weapon = Light Blade, Mace, Flail, Staff

Any Ranged Weapon = Athasian Ranged Weapon = Bow, Crossbow (Misc Ranged).

With this system you can choose a weapon from the following list, look up its weight to determine the weapon type and then substitute it for ANY of the regular 4th edition weapon groups listed.

Yes exceptions can be made on a case by case basis but this is the system I want to use for now due to its simplicity.

Here is the link to the list:

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%20fi ... apons.xlsx

Use the following Materials table in conjunction with the excel file:

TABLE XXIX: WEAPON MATERIALS		

Material             Cost   Damage Adj.
Metal                500%min         0
Bone, Stone          100%         -2
Obsidian	           200%	     -1
Wood                  50%         -3
Crystal               400%        0
Ignore the damage column, its not accurate but I left it in the doc so you could see how the weapons stacked up RELATIVE to eachother. 4th Edition damage was revamped so the Athasian weapons will reflect that change as well.

Obviously converting this entire list to 4th rules would me a massive job so what we are going to do is this: Pick a weapon or two at MOST and I will convert it for you. There is a new feature on the server called the Weapon Gallery. There you can see full sized pictures of all the weapons to get a better idea of what they do. You can also DL this free document here that gives a good write up on a lot of weapons. I have info on all the weapons and flavor text to go with so just pick what you like and I will fill in the details.

Heres the free 3rd Rules for Dark Sun:

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%20fi ... 030717.pdf

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

** Armor Update - Piecemeal Armor Rules**

Here is the finalized table. You will be seeing all the pieces of these armor sets on vendors from now on. Remember, this table is the BASIC list you can find all the basic weapons and armor in Shadow Square. Go to the Elven Market and other areas of Tyr to find customized versions.

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%20fi ... Armor.xlsx

The speed penalites are linked to the breastplates. More info on this topic coming soon!

Some of the Armor sets have a * next to them. These are just a few examples of custom armor sets that have bonuses for having a complete set.

The Elven Wastelander Gear set gives a +6 bonus to stealth checks and +4 bonus to endurance checks while in the wastes, if you have a full set.

The Agony Beetle Carapace is another example of a signature item. A full set grants the wearer DR poison 10. Signature items can be found all over Tyr, ask around!

Tepshen
Kobold

Post by Tepshen »

Is there an effect to the damage adjustments for making bone weapons into magic weapons? For example, if we took step to magic/psionic fortify a bone weapon would it still suffer from the -2 damage penalty and just be unbreakable with a higher crit bonus? or does it also lose the penalty and become a higher class weapon as well? With metal being scarce the way it is it would seem to be cheaper to enhance a weapon than to buy a higher quality material one but perhaps I am not interpreting the rules correctly.
Tepshen Lahl
Gaulin Ev'ran
Xaphan the Grim

Farax
Kobold

Post by Farax »

Some OOC questions for the DM:

Sling Damage --- is this affected by the lack of metal?
Orb Implement Mastery --- Do I start with an Orb, or must I procure one?

thanks,
-Farax

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

Farax wrote:Some OOC questions for the DM:

Sling Damage --- is this affected by the lack of metal?
Orb Implement Mastery --- Do I start with an Orb, or must I procure one?

thanks,
-Farax
Sling damage will be identical to 4th Ed rules.

You will have to find someone who deals in black market goods for your orb.
Is there an effect to the damage adjustments for making bone weapons into magic weapons? For example, if we took step to magic/psionic fortify a bone weapon would it still suffer from the -2 damage penalty and just be unbreakable with a higher crit bonus? or does it also lose the penalty and become a higher class weapon as well? With metal being scarce the way it is it would seem to be cheaper to enhance a weapon than to buy a higher quality material one but perhaps I am not interpreting the rules correctly.
The material penalties listed are just a base. If you magically / psionically enhance a crystal longsword it becomes +1 to damage (and counts as a magic weapon of course). If you do the same thing to a bone longsword it becomes -1 damage, etc.

Tepshen
Kobold

Post by Tepshen »

vizier wrote: The material penalties listed are just a base. If you magically / psionically enhance a crystal longsword it becomes +1 to damage (and counts as a magic weapon of course). If you do the same thing to a bone longsword it becomes -1 damage, etc.
do you apply the 500% multiplier to the cost of enhancing those weapons as well or only the base cost? A 5 Cp bone scythe becomes 125Cp metal scythe and then to enhance it is 360 Cp for the base +1?
Tepshen Lahl
Gaulin Ev'ran
Xaphan the Grim

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

Tepshen wrote:
do you apply the 500% multiplier to the cost of enhancing those weapons as well or only the base cost? A 5 Cp bone scythe becomes 125Cp metal scythe and then to enhance it is 360 Cp for the base +1?
Yes the 500% modifiers apply to the enhancement cost as well. Higher quality weapons are porportionally more difficult to enhance. Also please note that the 500% cost is a MINIMUM on metal weapons. Some large weapons will cost more than that and many weapons wont be available in metal for obvious reasons. Still, metal weapons are highly sought after due to their high damage capabilities.

Crystaline weapons are an alternative to metal, though they are difficult to find.

flarebright
Kobold

Post by flarebright »

Thank you for all the infor Vizier.

Unfortunetly I couldn't open linked list (in xml format?) They download as zipped files that unzipp into a bunch of xml files. I am not familiar with that file type. Any suggestions on how to view them?

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

Alt format:

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%20fi ... /Armor.xls

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%20fi ... eapons.xls

THe new excel defaults to a different format than previous versions. These files here should be compatible with all excel versions sorry about that.

flarebright
Kobold

Post by flarebright »

new files worked thank you.

Additional questions:

We need to identify the type of armors (such as cloth/leather/hyde/chain/scale/plate) for new armors.

3 more additional questions:

1. For example elven waistlender gear could possibly be cloth leather or hide.
So I have no idea if my character is proficient with it and enchantments can apply to it.

2. Speaking of armor enchantments with a peace meal armor system. Do we assume that only breastplate can be enchanted (this seems balanced) or is each armor peace can be enchanted as well?

3. Material damage penatlies only apply to weapon powers and not implements powers right? If so wooden impliments and weapons that can be used as impliments (example staff) look very good for the casters.

vizier
Cave Troll

Post by vizier »

1.) Look at the full set AC bonus and find a corrosponding 4th armor type.

2.) Only the BPs can be player enchanted BUT you can find other pieces with effects on them.

3.) Correct. Damage penalties only apply to powers with the weapon keyword.

Tepshen
Kobold

Post by Tepshen »

Thanks for all the great info. The players guide alone has helped tons. Reading through it has given me some really good ideas and shown me why a few things wernt quite clicking. (half giants being 11ft tall vs a goliaths 7ft for one) if you have time between now and sunday I'd love to hop on the server and take a look at the weapons you put up. Of particular interest are the Impaler and the weighted pike.
Tepshen Lahl
Gaulin Ev'ran
Xaphan the Grim

Return to “Dark Sun - 4th Edition”