(yet another) sub forum idea

The RPTools applications are written in Java. If you're interested in contributing to any project here by submitting patches to the source code, this is the forum to ask questions about how to do so. Please put the two-letter tool name abbreviation in your thread Title. To enter this group, go to the Usergroups page of your User Control Panel and join the Java Developer group.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

aku
Dragon

(yet another) sub forum idea

Post by aku »

So, it seems like the number of amateur contributors getting interested in maptool is increasing, and i thought it would be a good idea possibly, to set aside a little corner of the forums for java coding questions, instead of cluttering up bug reports/feature ideas/the general tool boards from newbs (like me) with inane and possibly stupid questions/comments/remarks.

I envision it being called "Java, maptools, und joo!" (or maybe just "and you") with the info being "an advanced discussion on the inner workings of maptools, to help developers get help from other developers. For people that dont know what the %$# they're doing" (second part optional :D )

I could hunt down another java forum, i'm sure, for assistance, but it seems like since this is just an advanced project, the best place to get help, is from the people that have been working on it.

or you could just tell people like me that are trying to learn java, but really have no clue (yet?) to shove off trying to much with the code, i wont be offended :D, and possibly grateful for being told i'm getting in way over my head :P

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: (yet another) sub forum idea

Post by Azhrei »

Hmm, that's a good idea. I'm going to bed shortly (2:30AM here) but I'll create a new forum, probably here under "General", and designate it as Java-related questions. That will also give us a place to put a Sticky with suggested reading and links to other references.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

The Developer forum might be a good place for that sub forum.

I love fielding java questions btw :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

trevor wrote:The Developer forum might be a good place for that sub forum.

I love fielding java questions btw :)
Well, thats good to hear... now if only i could figure out what the question is i need to ask, trying to get this bug squashed heh

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, the new forum is Java Programming Info.

I've moved this thread into the new forum so that others will have an idea of what should go here.

I fully expect that most of the questions will be about MapTool, but if not, please remember to put "DT", "CT", "IT", or "TT" into the title of your thread so that others can quickly tell which tool it relates to.

Return to “Java Programming Info”