Building a new maptool-1.3.b63.jar

The RPTools applications are written in Java. If you're interested in contributing to any project here by submitting patches to the source code, this is the forum to ask questions about how to do so. Please put the two-letter tool name abbreviation in your thread Title. To enter this group, go to the Usergroups page of your User Control Panel and join the Java Developer group.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Azhrei
Site Admin

Building a new maptool-1.3.b63.jar

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, I'm doing something different this time and I don't know what. I need another pair of eyeballs looking at this to tell me where I'm screwing up.

I've built MapTool JARs before, but I can't seem to do it now. I have the maptool, maptool.resource, rplib, and rplib.resource projects in Eclipse. The build.xml refers to ../common.build/common-webstart-targets.xml which I don't have. Given the reference to the parent directory, I guess I need to open another project (as a dependency of maptool) and grab the common.build directory.

But... I don't remember having to do that previously?! It's possible that I had grabbed the parent directory of maptool last time, but doing that now looks like it's gonna take hours and hours to download as it seems the dist directory contains a copy of every version ever distributed. :roll: Which is probably why I currently have each directory downloaded as separate projects with dependencies set appropriately. (I don't remember wiping my workspace and recreating but aparently I must have?!)

So in summary: given that I have the above listed directories out of SVN, what is the simplest technique for building a JAR?

Phergus
Deity

Re: Building a new maptool-1.3.b63.jar

Post by Phergus »

Check out the common.build trunk into the same directory that you have the maptool trunk checked out into.

i.e.
~/rptools/common.build
~/rptools/maptool

Don't check out the entire rptools repo as the relative pathing will be off and it will take forever. The build scripts assume that project folders for a trunk are all at the same level.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

And did I do this before? I don't remember checking out anything else... Of course, I may have browsed the repository and just copy/pasted the contents of that file into the build.xml directly. :roll:

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I seem to remember you mentioning that you did a custom build.

As I have the other tools and libs checked out as well it was easy enough for me to just follow the system in place.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, now I remember. :)

Eclipse didn't bring up the generate-jar target in the Outline view when I opened the build.xml and I got lost trying to find the right way to invoke that target. After futzing with it a bit, Eclipse now shows the proper contents in the Outline view and a right-click on the correct target builds the JAR properly.

The contents of the view being missing happened before, too. This time I'm using the Aptana download of Eclipse preconfigured to support JS and other web page building tools so the default config must be different.

Thanks, Phergie. :) The folks who want to play with the import/export of maps thank you as well. ;)

Return to “Java Programming Info”