MT: Players can't view Portrait and Statsheet?

The RPTools applications are written in Java. If you're interested in contributing to any project here by submitting patches to the source code, this is the forum to ask questions about how to do so. Please put the two-letter tool name abbreviation in your thread Title. To enter this group, go to the Usergroups page of your User Control Panel and join the Java Developer group.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

jfrazierjr
Deity

MT: Players can't view Portrait and Statsheet?

Post by jfrazierjr »

So...I was wondering if this was by design or not? Looking through the PointerTool code, I can't see anywhere that it checks for ownership(though.. I could have missed it) in terms of showing it or not... just in WHAT to show to whom....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Players can't view Portrait and Statsheet?

Post by Azhrei »

I'm not sure that I understand your question.

There is no ownership check because then the GM couldn't configure NPCs to show the Portrait or other stats.

So the PointerTool activates the statsheet, then the statsheet code decides if there actually anything to show. If there isn't, no statsheet is displayed. Otherwise it popups the little overlay that we all know and love. ;)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:I'm not sure that I understand your question.

There is no ownership check because then the GM couldn't configure NPCs to show the Portrait or other stats.

So the PointerTool activates the statsheet, then the statsheet code decides if there actually anything to show. If there isn't, no statsheet is displayed. Otherwise it popups the little overlay that we all know and love. ;)
Well.. thats what I am trying to figure out. When I have multiple instances of MT running(with all server options on, included IV/IF) and connected clients who own specific tokens, I can mouse over a non owned token but don't get any portrait image or statsheet and am trying to figure out why. I would like my players to be able to see the portrait at the very least(not so much the statsheet... but with correct property configuration this is ok...)

Oh.. am I am fine with just making this part of a custom build of MT.. just trying to figure out WHERE to make the change since for the life of me I can't find it.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:I can mouse over a non owned token but don't get any portrait image or statsheet and am trying to figure out why.
Hm. If there are no properties to display, then the statsheet isn't shown. So you'll need to include at least one property that is visible to everyone using the Campaign Properties dialog.

Then the portrait itself won't show up if the Preferences have a Statsheet Portrait Size set to zero.

The actual rendering of the statsheet is probably done in renderZone() by checking the tokenUnderMouse instance variable. It's probably a couple of levels deep in method calls though. Check the Zone and ZoneRenderer classes for such a variable, then use the context menu to select "References". Right-click on the listing in the Search tab that opens and choose Expand All. Now you can quickly glance through the list of class names to see which ones might be called from renderZone().

(Moved to the Developer Notes > Java Programming Info forum.)

Return to “Java Programming Info”