stupid newbye request

The RPTools applications are written in Java. If you're interested in contributing to any project here by submitting patches to the source code, this is the forum to ask questions about how to do so. Please put the two-letter tool name abbreviation in your thread Title. To enter this group, go to the Usergroups page of your User Control Panel and join the Java Developer group.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: stupid newbye request

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:Also note that from what I remember, this initially appears to be a finalized decision based upon whitted(who was already quite familiar with Maven) volunteering to help us with the build system. Then he had to back out, but to me, it "seemed" as if the decision had already been made and was cast in stone.
AFAIAC, nothing is cast in stone.

It would be very nice to have an expert available for whatever tool we end up using. Unless we have such an expert available, the choice of dependency management tool is really based on personal experience and/or hearsay. As you said, whited was going to be our own personal expert ;) but work obligations crashed that party.

username
Dragon

Re: stupid newbye request

Post by username »

At this point, from a consistency stand point, it's Azhrei, yourself, and me as developers of MapTool. With the occasional contribution from Phergus and Rumble(thinking about those who have been trusted to join the mailing list). Based upon the past, I doubt Phergus will have time to learn Maven or Ivy and I rather doubt Rumble wants to. So that leaves you, me, or someone unknown to take the time to create a build system for all of the existing projects. Who knows, perhaps username already has the experience with Maven and will volunteer. He has contributed a number of bug fixes in the past year or so... Of course, he seems to have an opinion similar to mine in that Maven is a big PITA unless you do things exactly the way it want's them done.
I use maven at work. For my smaller personal projects I still use makefiles. I have found that you better get your project to fit to Maven - not Maven to fit to your project. Besides that, I don't like to create any build files. I can help prototype specific aspects, but in the end whoever runs the builds most of the time should decide and be involved in the setup process.

Return to “Java Programming Info”