Plothos' 3.5 & Pathfinder Spell Managers

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Re: Plothos' 3.5 & Pathfinder Spell Managers

Post by lmarkus001 »

LordXeen wrote:I'm trying to get my players to use the PF Framework and this spell manager but it's an uphill battle so far. One stumbling block I'm hoping I can get some help for is that one of my players is an Oracle, but his spell system isn't supported. Unless I'm doing something wrong. Can I get a little guidance on making this work for a spontaneous divine caster? I'd hate to have to abandon the framework just because I can't make the spells work right.
I currently use this (Plothos) tool for "standard" classes and use Wrathgon's for "variant" classes like a spontaneous divine caster. It is an imperfect solution. Alternately, you can have folks maintain their spells in the Notes part of their token (manually editing the text). That might be a short term answer until Plothos releases his new version. Alternately, the spontaneous caster could setup their spells as Spell Like Abilities (SLAs) and cast from there.

jsharen
Giant

Post by jsharen »

Plo,
Just a heads up, the link to the download for the pathfinder version is broken. Also your home site is advertising a secruity risk to the world when I navigate there. Thought you should be aware.

Cheers!

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Hey all. Thanks for the heads-up. My friend was hosting the FTP site and he changed servers, so I'll have to get on that.

I also have the new version fairly ready but untested and with at least one element missing. I don't know when I'll be able to fix these things, as I'm dealing with, well, pretty much the worst time of my life right now. MT coding would be welcome, if I could focus on it.

Sorry. :(
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

I've managed to find time and willpower to devote to wrapping up (I hope) work on the beta recode.
I am hoping I can get one or two people to either log on with me sometime in the next few days for a playtest, or else who are willing to take a pre-release .cmpgn file and give it a serious look, then get back to me about any problems.

Current state (I hope) is that all main spell-related functions are a go. This should allow for core 3.5 and Pathfinder caster classes to work, including unlimited cantrips/orisons for PF, etc. The way it's set up right now, the classes are loaded into virtual reference books that are stored in a virtual bookcase, divided into bookshelves. The players won't ever see this, it's where the DM manages his rules. The DM can load whatever books he wants into the manager, and as long as the relevant book is loaded the player should be able to level up in any of the loaded classes. Further leveling will require (for now) that the book in question remain loaded.

While editing the reference books, the DM can model many features of a given class on other classes found in other books. This should make it very easy to have, say the base 3.5 core book and your personal houseruled PHB in the bookshelf and swap them in and out as needed. I have the 3.5 classes all set (I think) in their books (PHB and DMG) and should soon have the PF classes set, if I can dig up the old PF file and import the data in the next couple days.

My plan, ultimately, is to expand on this model and make the base manager just a mechanical shell, with little or no original content, but able to import and export rulebooks, probably via the creation of tokens that can be saved separately and emailed to/posted for other uses to drop in and read from. I envision the manager coming pre-configured with at most SRD content only, but with users able to create and share additional books. We may even be able to have a thread (let's call it a library) where users can post links to their rulebooks, bearing in mind the inherent copyright complications that may ensue from the existence of such a resource.

In any event, before I release the new version, I want to test it out, minimally at least, and I could really use a few extra sets of eyes.

Anybody willing to help out, please drop me a PM or email me:
gmail handle: imtwiceasgeeky
Drop-In Utilities:
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

Yurameki
Kobold

Post by Yurameki »

Your current download link isn't working, I'd really like to get a hold of the D&D3.5 version.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Yurameki wrote:Your current download link isn't working, I'd really like to get a hold of the D&D3.5 version.
Yeah, the old FTP site I was using went down.

I'll see about just attaching the old files sometime soon, but keep your eye out for the new version in the next couple weeks (I hope).
Drop-In Utilities:

jsharen
Giant

Post by jsharen »

Plothos,
I'd be happy to test run the new spell manager. You can send it to me at [email protected] if you like.

Cheers!

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

I've got a bug list to sift through first but then ill post a beta version for general consumption, digestion, and regurgitation.

Thanks. :)
Drop-In Utilities:

prewitt5
Kobold

Post by prewitt5 »

Any word on this? I would be happy to help test out what you have done if you want.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Working through the last bits of a long list of minor hiccups and will be releasing the first beta (partially-functional) build in the next few days. This should include all SRD and PRD classes for 3.5 and PF, Aliasmask's spell database and the ability to create custom classes.

It will not yet include the ability to locally edit spells per day and the like on a per-token basis and it will not yet include special abilities (sorry PFers). These should be coming along soon, but I want to get the basic functionality/data structures squared away before I compound any problems.

Thanks for all the help and offers of help thus far received. I'll be looking for more feedback on the beta of 3.0.0. :D
Drop-In Utilities:

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Awesome! I am excited!

Quick compatibility comment. It would be really nice if this major update would still work with tokens that are setup for your existing spell manager. Even if something as basic as supporting having the current manager library in the framework to support the old tokens.

I say this as my current campaign has a TON of NPCs with spell data in them already.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Heya Lindsay. Yes indeed. Once I get the new version working satisfactorily, I plan to get cracking on a token update macro. It will have to wait until after I get special abilities done, which may or may not be a quick process (haven't even looked into it yet).
Drop-In Utilities:

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

The first semi-build is here!

I believe I have a first pass at the core functionality relatively bug free. If there are any bugs in here, they should be ones that crop up only under specific situations where something breaks. AFAICT all the menus are working as intended, and the ability to create classes is working. For core SRD classes not much should have changed, so with the notable exception of being able to save multiple templates for prepping classes this should work much like the old manager at the player level. I've put in a few tweaks (like a rest macro on the cast menu), but that's about it. The big change is really in the new GM bookcase. Please check that out and let me know what you think of the approach I've taken.

Take it for a test-drive and return here frustrated and angry as appropriate. :D

Not yet working, but coming (hopefully soon):
Smattering of preferences (let players cheat, etc.)
Local cheating (mod a token without modding the rulebooks)
Special Abilities tied to classes or kept separate
Rulebook Import/Export

Further down the road:
Token update macro (take old PSM tokens and make them compatible with this) - gotta finish this first, so I know what to update to
Better way to handle prestige classes (for now you'll probably have to use local cheating to really do it properly)
Attachments
PSM Upgrade - Initial Beta.cmpgn
(2.17 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
Drop-In Utilities:

quikdagger
Giant

Post by quikdagger »

Well I must say that I really like the ability to add new classes via the "rulebooks" which greatly eases the ability to make on-the-fly prestige class spell-lists. I was looking and couldnt seem to find whether or not I could create custom spells (well not actually create but add spells from other sources that are not "core") as that has always been my biggest desire. I did figure out a way to just use the already created table lines and just add a new one by mimicking prior entries but have had some bugs when doing this. But still I really like the new look and feel of this manage. Keep up the good work and I intend to implement it into my games.

Plothos Spell Manager For The Win!!
RPGA#: 5223824963
Recruiting: World's Largest Dungeon
Camapign Session Summary Page
In Development: World of Deiradh
SkypeID:quikdagger
LFR Character:Malcrere Krylon (Human Pursuing Avenger 1)

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Do you mean add the non-core spells to the database? If so, that's to do with Aliasmask's code, and it's something he's currently working on. If not, I'll need more info on what's causing trouble.
Drop-In Utilities:

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”