Plothos' 3.5 & Pathfinder Spell Managers

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Avotas
Cave Troll

Re: Plothos' 3.5 & Pathfinder Spell Managers

Post by Avotas »

Thanks! Got it.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Hey Plothos,

I am playing with the Beta of your Spell Manager, and I two questions.

1) Where do you setup the dice rolls for the spell effects, or has that not be coded as of yet?
2) I am unable to see any output in the chat log for spells being cast, however the [r: report] at the end of the output should allow that information to be displayed correct? Am I missing something?

I really like some of the additional features you added, I look forward to your first release.

-Avotas

jsharen
Giant

Post by jsharen »

Plo,
Any update on the error with custom character creation in the new beta?

jsharen
Giant

Post by jsharen »

Anyone alive out there? :)

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Not really. :D
Sorry. Real life has been interfering. I can't seem to find blocks of time for coding these days.

It's high on my list but I'm constantly frustrated by work et al.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

jsharen
Giant

Post by jsharen »

No worries Plo :)

I was just getting concerned as it had been a month or so since you'd posted. Take your time and get life straightened out. This is a game afterall :)

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Beta of the redesigned PSM coming by this Friday!! Stay tuned!!

It's basically ready. I'm just kicking the tires, fiddling with some formatting, bug-hunting, and hopefully getting AM's database fully integrated.

New features do in fact include:
1. Custom class support.
2. Prestige class support.
3. Special abilities tied to classes and/or class-independent. (Class abilities can be pre-coded, see below.)
4. The Bookcase:
- Store classes by book
- Store books on shelves for different systems/houserules/etc.
- Set up spell lists/spells per day/conversion lists/special abilities
- Import and export at the bookcase, shelf, book, or class level - creates a new token with a macro on it to import the data to another's manager. Potential for a library of all splatclasses here on the forums or the 'cloud.'
5. Set up skill/ability "decision points" that activate on level-up (e.g. ranger favored enemy/sorcerer bloodlines/etc.)

The Friday release will be a beta test only. Some of the work getting it complete hasn't been done quite yet. The core 3.5 and Pathfinder classes will be set up except for skills. (They should have spell lists/spd/etc. available, but bloodline powers won't be ready yet unless I surprise myself with my time management.) 3.5 classes should have their skills and decision points set up by Friday.

I would love to have anybody who is interested in using this and making it better find some time over the weekend to try it out and let me know with as much detail as possible of any bugs you find or features you would like to include.
Drop-In Utilities:
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

So, where is the download? I can setup a couple games this weekend to test it.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

It'll be up by Friday. I have a few bits of code to tweak.
Drop-In Utilities:

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Beta is ready!
Go here to get the file and provide feedback.
Drop-In Utilities:

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Hey Plothos!

Excellent work. I just added a custom class (Magus) and setup the spell list / spell limit. All of that was flawless. Well done!

Two questions:

1) The output for custom classes is "Player casts a spell" while the output for non-custom classes is "Player casts Burning Hands" In addition the private GM text just reads " " (null) on custom classes for some reason. Is it possible to get the spell name to appear in the pose, even if it can't be linked because it's not in the database?

2) Magus (Ultimate Magic) has an ability where it can recast any spell prepared and cast before. How can the spell manager handle that?

-Avotas

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

1) That looks like it's a problem with Aliasmask's database. It used to print text instead of a lookup link if it didn't find the spell name. Looks like it's no longer doing that. I'll have to bug him about it, as I don't know his code.

2) Hmm, I plan to put in options to manually adjust spells per day and such later, so it could just be done like that then. But for now I suppose you could give the class a bonus spell at the highest level castable and just not prep that spell, then use the extra slot to prep any spell you've used up. Not elegant, but it'd work.
Drop-In Utilities:

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I see what you're talking about. I'll take a look at the code, but I think it has something to do with reveal to players prompt, since you can view the known spells and those links are the same as what would be in the output. It shouldn't take long to track it down. But it's late now, so I'll tackle this tomorrow.

edit: I see. If the token is an NPC, then it only shows ... casts a spell. There is code there that drops a spellcraft link, but it requires a lib:stats token and it doesn't show normally (only when heightening spell). I'm assuming this is a wip part of the code? You could make it system agnostic and just have a gm reveal link when it posts the spell info to select players or all.

Also, your link will post the token name to everyone when not revealing the spell. There is another method for output that I've done that would prevent this. I just finished re-writing that bit of code and need to test, but it has options like self, gm, owners and others. If you pass the token info to output, the owners of token will be the only people who see sent output, others is anyone who is not an owner. GMs own all tokens. I'll be posting an update to lib:chat on my "In Character Chat (chat bubbles)" thread later today.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Sweet. Just verified swapping the token to PC from NPC allows the full spell text "Player casts Corrosive Touch". Thanks for the help, and I will be looking for that update soon! :D

-Avotas

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Huh, fiddling with the lib:spells I have in my FW I cannot view known spells (or rather, I get blanks if there is no link), so I thought this was a general problem with the AM db. I'll check to see if something got crossed up. Ugh.
Drop-In Utilities:

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”