Lindsay's Generic Tools (Whisper, Move Tokens, Handouts)

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Re: Lindsay's Generic Tools (Whisper, Move Tokens, Handouts)

Post by lmarkus001 »

pelwer wrote:Lindsay,

FYI - I don't see the token scatter behavior in the latest release.

BTW - awesome tools! Thanks for sharing.

Pat.
The scatter is not random for the MoveTokensToMap macro. Instead it is more of a fill operation that spreads the selected tokens out in a 3x3 grid (so if you have > 9 you will get overlap). So to see the scatter you need to move more than one token.

The new TeleportPad is a random scattering in the 3x3 destination pad.

The reason for the difference is the MoveTokensToMap moves all selected at one time, so can place intelligently, while the TeleportPad is individually run by players and it was not worth the overhead to use a global variable to track placements.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Are we going to see this refined teleport-to-a-new-map system in the 3.5/Pathfinder Campaign framework?
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Paradox wrote:Are we going to see this refined teleport-to-a-new-map system in the 3.5/Pathfinder Campaign framework?
Yes, I have it in already... I ran my changes through test on Friday so should release soon.

flynnkd
Cave Troll

Post by flynnkd »

Using the Teleport Pad my players simply get a "This is a GM macro " message and it doesnt work? What have I done wrong?
Kevin Flynn

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

The GM actually runs the macro for Teleport Pad. You (the GM) run the Summon Players Macro, and it sends all the players a link in the chat window. When the players hit that link, their characters are moved to the pad.

It's really pretty clever once you get used to it.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

flynnkd
Cave Troll

Post by flynnkd »

Thats what I mean, sorry. The players keep getting the "Only GM" message when they click the link and dont move. I have checked all the settings suggested but still it will not work. I tried going through and commenting out all teh asserts but there is still one hiding in there somewhere.

If I run it as GM for my own tokens it works, but not for my players.
Kevin Flynn

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

flynnkd wrote:Thats what I mean, sorry. The players keep getting the "Only GM" message when they click the link and dont move. I have checked all the settings suggested but still it will not work. I tried going through and commenting out all teh asserts but there is still one hiding in there somewhere.

If I run it as GM for my own tokens it works, but not for my players.
Ah..

Sorry for assuming. That's strange. Worked fine for me last night.

flynnkd
Cave Troll

Post by flynnkd »

I re-downloaded the package and ran the campaign file from the package, started a server, add a player and tried it. It gives me two "teleportPad is a GM only macro" messages and doesnt work. This is on a separate computer to what I normally use.

Could somebody please download a fresh copy and test the above please.

Update: I finally got it to work. I deleted all the assert(GM) (2) in the LIB and then reset the LIB macros to NOT autoexec and I could get it to work.
Kevin Flynn

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Just posted up an update. It corrects the errors in the previous release and adds some new functionality.
  • NEW Macro: setStartMap -- Identify a map name and x,y coordinate that will be loaded when the campaign is loaded (or players connect).
  • TeleportPad -- Removes from initiative before moving to avoid issues. Shifts the player's map and view point to the destination location. Token initiative is preserved and moved from one map panel to another.
  • MoveTokensToMap -- Lots of changes. Secretly moves NPCs. Provides a link in chat for the GM to be taken to the map and location of the destination. For PCs, sends a link to the owners of the tokens. They click the link and their token will be moved to the destination map AND their view will center on their token at the new location. This approach removes the issue of multiple people modifying a token at the same time (GM and Player) and it makes the move less confusing and easier for the player (their view gets automatically changed). Token initiative is preserved and moved from one map panel to another. The old method of the GM forcing the PC tokens is still an option for those special cases when that is preffered.

DarkWiz58
Cave Troll

Post by DarkWiz58 »

As a newbie who has been trying to figure out some of these things alone, I just want to say a big THANK YOU. Great organization on your download forum-message too!!

-Regards,
Alex / DarkWiz58

LordVal
Kobold

Post by LordVal »

Ok, call me an idiot, but is there any way to reset/delete entries in the Edit Handout Configurations table. There does not seem to be any way. I created a new Handout table but all the old info remains in that configuration box....

And it could just be me not being knowledgeable enough.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

LordVal

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

The way I would do it is to manually change the property or table.

UPDATE: And now I feel like an idiot for giving out bad info. Lindsay, previously the Handout info was kept on the Lib token in a property Handouts. Now, this is not there nor does the file come with the properties file to upload into a campaign file. So, how does one edit the handouts to remove the three generic handouts? Would it be possible to get a macro that can zero out this property? Thanks!

Irrlicht
Dragon

Post by Irrlicht »

I think I'm missing something.
If I create a new map and then try to edit the map list for token map-shifting, if I click on "add map" nothing happens. How come?
(I already saved and reloaded, should someone ask.)
"There are many ways my Son, to find where the souls of Demons remain...
But it takes only one second of despair and of doubt until, at last, your Soul they will gain..."

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Irrlicht wrote:I think I'm missing something.
If I create a new map and then try to edit the map list for token map-shifting, if I click on "add map" nothing happens. How come?
(I already saved and reloaded, should someone ask.)
Do you see something like this in the chat box when you click "add map"?
Lindsay Markus says to the GM: All campaign maps already available, so no map was added.

Irrlicht
Dragon

Post by Irrlicht »

Right now I can't access MapTool, so I can't verify, but memory doesn't tell me anything about chat message, just that clicking the button did nothing.
Of course it's more than possible that the message appeared. In such case what's to be done to add the new map?
"There are many ways my Son, to find where the souls of Demons remain...
But it takes only one second of despair and of doubt until, at last, your Soul they will gain..."

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”