Wolph42's drop-in Dungeon Builder v1.6

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

ahimsa
Kobold

Re: Wolph42's drop-in Dungeon Builder v1.6

Post by ahimsa »

First, apologies for the necro of this thread. I'm a new user of MapTool (and loving it) with a love of randomness in my dungeons (most of which never see the light of day).

Anyway, my question is regarding the tool that snex created hosted on git and found here https://github.com/snex/carto. My objective is to populate a random dungeon with both objects (already in the carto-master tool) AND tokens. I've modified the code to populate tokens so it now scatters tokens and objects throughout the dungeon.

What I would like it to do is to populate the statblock by adding additional properties such as AC, STR, HP, etc. I'm not a coder but I can usually hack my way into a workable solution if I know where to look (tho haven't played with ruby much). I'm hoping that someone can give me a nudge in the right direction by pointing me to an online resource where the required info is stored.

From what I can tell, snex is using the tileset.yml file to build out the xml which is then passed (how?) into MapTool. I think all I have to do is extend the tileset file to include my new stats and then, using the draw_token function, add them to the xml. I'm just not sure of the actual name recognised by MapTool for each of the properties. For example, Snex uses such names as: xml.tokenType, xml.snapToGrid,xml.hasSight, etc. Where would I find those for strength (xml.Strength?), hp (xml.HP?), etc?

Convoluted post so happy to clarify but tl;dr: what resource will provide this list of property types and is my approach (modify tileset.yml => pass to draw_token as xml.blah) the correct one?

Any guidance is appreciated!

ahimsa
Kobold

Post by ahimsa »

ahimsa wrote:First, apologies for the necro of this thread. I'm a new user of MapTool (and loving it) with a love of randomness in my dungeons (most of which never see the light of day).

Anyway, my question is regarding the tool that snex created hosted on git and found here https://github.com/snex/carto. My objective is to populate a random dungeon with both objects (already in the carto-master tool) AND tokens. I've modified the code to populate tokens so it now scatters tokens and objects throughout the dungeon.

What I would like it to do is to populate the statblock by adding additional properties such as AC, STR, HP, etc. I'm not a coder but I can usually hack my way into a workable solution if I know where to look (tho haven't played with ruby much). I'm hoping that someone can give me a nudge in the right direction by pointing me to an online resource where the required info is stored.

From what I can tell, snex is using the tileset.yml file to build out the xml which is then passed (how?) into MapTool. I think all I have to do is extend the tileset file to include my new stats and then, using the draw_token function, add them to the xml. I'm just not sure of the actual name recognised by MapTool for each of the properties. For example, Snex uses such names as: xml.tokenType, xml.snapToGrid,xml.hasSight, etc. Where would I find those for strength (xml.Strength?), hp (xml.HP?), etc?

Convoluted post so happy to clarify but tl;dr: what resource will provide this list of property types and is my approach (modify tileset.yml => pass to draw_token as xml.blah) the correct one?

Any guidance is appreciated!
As a side note, this was the only reference I've found that provides me with some of the info I'm looking for: https://github.com/RPTools/tokentool/tr ... tool/model

I think I'm missing how I can update the actual campaign properties via a tool like snex's--if it's possible.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

the necro is fine. its a drop in so its to be expected that it gets raised from time to time. As for the ruby part, cannot help you there. My knowledge (concerning this) is limited to maptool. bu maybe someone else can.

ahimsa
Kobold

Post by ahimsa »

Thanks Wolph. The more I look into it, the more I think what's required is modifying the campaign property or token property. Most (all?) of what snex seems to be using is found in the Token model but I think I need to be able to use the set property functions.

Probably in a bit over my head so will keep it simple for now and just import the various layers with basic properties and then use the statblock importer for the random NPCs when they are discovered.

I'm using this as a way to play Mythic type adventures where neither myself nor the other players have any idea what is in the next corridor or room. The idea is to have a single "player" NPC of a randomly placed stairwell with a light source of 5ft. All actual player PCs will be started from that point, as it will be the only visible location on the player map. We'll then light our various torches, etc. and head off into the dungeon. Encounters will be randomly placed, as will traps, pits, etc. I was hoping to have the import actually import the tokens for the specific encounter but now I think the token icon will represent a roll on an encounter table or use the donjon encounters.

Was also hoping to find a way to populate the gmNotes with the room info from the donjon generator but my YML keeps breaking when I use multiple lines, even after using the | or >.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Sounds interesting!

Modifying the campaign properties is easy enough, you can do that through the mt menu .
I would suggest though in this case that you start watching the vid tutorials. Check the first link in my Sig for more info

Dougal
Cave Troll

Post by Dougal »

I am curious. I am using Donjons random dungeon creator and using the TSV file to import into this. Makes things so much faster. the ONLY thing I would like to change is the 5 foot hallways. Is there any way to set it so that the generation of the map causes each block to be a 2x2 tile instead of a single tile so that the hallways are 10 foot wide? I found a work round for it by doing tiles as Large and then afterwards changing the grid size to 25. But is there a setting to automaticly do it.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

well...I had a look and its certainly 'possible' but a LOT of work and Im already working on a new generator. Note that there are now thus 3 generators available, each with its own 'thing'.
The last one however is not yet available because i want to turn it into a game...but you can have a look if you want.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ey5uqd9nij74s ... cmpgn?dl=1

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”