[Beta Release] Vhex's Translation Tool

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Vhex
Giant

[Beta Release] Vhex's Translation Tool

Post by Vhex »

When I say Translation I mean "replace text with picture."

This is a Library token (Lib:Translate) that has a macro that creates a form and allows you to enter text. It will then reference a table with font images and "translate" the text into those images for you at the size that you specify.

I wrote this to get around having to help my players install fonts on their computers. Because the fonts are image based and loaded into a table, they can be displayed on any maptool client.
The input box looks like...
The preview button looks like...
The output looks like...
This is my first library, so be kind, but do report any bugs that you find in it. Making fonts is kind of a pain, but it really only has to be done once and then you can use it any way you want. I'm only giving away the one font because that's the only one I have copyright info on.
Attachments
Table-FontChachik.zip
A demo font I made for the Thri-Kreen written language Chachik. Not high quality.
(80.94 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
LibTranslate.rptok
This is the library.
(158.55 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: [Beta Release] Vhex's Translation Tool

Post by aliasmask »

I'm curious. It doesn't look like a simple letter replacement. Did you use letter combos for symbols, sort like phonics? ie. Th is one symbol, "is" is another...

Vhex
Giant

Post by Vhex »

The way I wrote the Chachik font was with the idea that it would have evolved from scratches in the sand using claws. Therefore there's less spacing in the letters than what there would be in a normal font (in the font itself, I have them sometimes overlapping). That gives the impression that two letters become one, but in reality they're still two separate letters. If you were to take Davek or Rellanic they'd have more evenly spaced letters and you could see the one for one replacement.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Nice! Quite a bit of work I imagine to create these font tables?

edit: which triggers a memory, I've created a tool to create tables with images fairly swiftly, I think you can find the link to it in my sig. (confirmed, its the 'table editor')

Vhex
Giant

Post by Vhex »

Creating the font images was more of a pain than getting them in the tables, but yeah, it is a pain.

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”