[Drop-in] Jamz & W42 - Dungeon Builder 2 (v1.5)

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: [Drop-In] Jamz & W42 - Dungeon Builder 2

Post by wolph42 »

ah ok, ive already transferred that method to the latest version. Currently it takes about 30 out of 42 seconds to do the x/y translation. Hence the question.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Yea, my problem was with the increased data size it was still taking a long time.

I need an hybrid approach. For my purposes, I just want to release the Lib Token with the data needed for those who just want to drop it into an existing campaign. For Dungeon Builder, since we DO have to supply the tiles in a set campaign, we have more flexibility.

What I'm thinking is, store the condensed version on the library and store the expanded json on the tile. And then if the data is on the tile, use it, otherwise use the lib data, translate it, store it on the tile.

I'll probably get to it this week, shouldn't take long. I'll probably eventually need to grab your version check from the BoT as well, in case user isn't using custom jar, it will need to manually translate.
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I know this topic is linked from Dunjinni and I can't post in that topic. So here a link to the request I just made:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 18#p241818

the dunjinni link: http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... ast#135017

edit: does anyone know why I can't post anywhere on the dunjinni forum? I tried the most obvious spaces like help request, social, etc. but nowhere am i allowed to post...

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Well it looks like your request has reached probono (see the dundjinni post you linked).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

CoveredInFish wrote:Well it looks like your request has reached probono (see the dundjinni post you linked).
yeah I noticed, that was also why I posted the link. He also reacted to my email, but explained that he didn't have much time at hand... so hopefully others...?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Ok I've got Dungeon Builder 3 (eventually it will be called 2) ready...that is...without the actual tiles with vbl, its untested.
I've updated DB2 with the new scanner, but the DB building is still done the old fashioned way. DB3 (in dropbox) builds the database automatically and creates a dungeon using 8 coords instead of 4...but untested.
I'm expecting some bugs, especially in rotation offset as that needs to be fine tuned and is a bit of a headache-er.

But in principle its all there. Im currently waiting for Dorn to do the last quality tile update.
When thats done, Dorpond can make the tiles available.
In the mean time one could start with drawing vbl...

O and if everything went right, it should be grid size independent. So the DB3 should work on any gridsize (well, as far as there are tiles for it so 50,100 and 200px grid).

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Cool beans. Let me know when the new tiles are ready and/or drop them into the campaign and I'll draw out the VBL for them.

BTW, already have a practical use for this project! At GenCon this year, I'm playing in a Pathfinder PVP game with 3 friends (16 total players) where you play in teams of 2, 12th level characters. To test our builds out, we're creating random dungeons and going at it! Not only is it quick, there's no unfair advantage of knowing the layout. :)
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

a small update for those following this thread. Probono has all the tiles created required for the next versionof the DB and Dorn has them processed. Jamz will shortly start applying the vbl after which ill start testing the next version of the DB. When thats done PB will create more tiles on request to give more variety. When thats done, Dorpond will make the tiles available for download and we'll release the official version of the new dungeon builder.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

*bumb*

we're launching quite some topics surrounding this subject. Maybe we should revert everything back to this topic and the test topic (linked in the OP).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

new version of the DB 2 now available. Note that for VBL only the 'snap to grid' set is available !!! (the other options are there but will have unwanted results).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

OP has been fully edited and the release is now official (note that you still need jamz special build) here a copy of the OP (which has already been edited, so it probly better to just read the OP instead.):

This is the result of a collaboration between Jamztheman (VBL part of the code, both MT and script), Probono (artist of the 6x6 tileset), Dorn (processing of the tileset) and myself (design of the tileset and the dungeon creation part of the DB code).

The project has now officially left the beta stage and should run smoothly (which does not guarantee a total absence of bugs, so please if you encounter any: post here).

This new dungeon builder has quite a bit of features, so I urge you to read the manual that goes with it. Basically it automatically creates dungeon AND draws the vision blocking layer (VBL) as well !!

Here's the download link

Note that the campaign and the auto VBL ONLY runs in jamz custom MT build (look in his sig for a link). This is a custom build in preparation for b90 (currently b89m). This means that as soon as MT b90 is released, this campaign file should work in that as well.

The best use is to create a dungeon in the builder, then export the map and import it in your own game.

Here's an example of the result (click to enlarge):

link to dunjinni forum: http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... ast#135017

booga
Dragon

Re: [Drop-in] Jamz & W42 - Dungeon Builder 2

Post by booga »

Amazing work !

I noticed that a couple tiles came up as red ? (missing graphic) when I generated a random dungeon using all the defaults and following the manual. I was using Nerps' b89m with Java 7 u21 and 1024/512/4 for memory settings.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I have encountered the red question marks as well. Not sure what is causing it other than maybe copyToken is to fast? Looks like a cache issue.

If you select them and rotate one way and back they appear. i suspect if you save and reload the campaign it works a week but haven't tested. I think this is a bug in mt itself.
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

It's an caching issue. Either double click on the tiles or reload the map (go to another map and then come back).

Basicaly the tile is there just the graphic is not rendered.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

version 1.1 released.

added pre-edit function to create rooms manually. Read the help inside for further instructions on use.

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”