Motion Tracker - Just like in Aliens®

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

bubblobill
Giant

Motion Tracker - Just like in Aliens®

Post by bubblobill »

Vision Blocking got you down?
Want to see through walls?

No problem, we have you covered.

It slices. It dices. It makes french fries in thirty seconds.
It is the latest and greatest thing.
It is..

Motion Tracker
snip1.JPG
snip1.JPG (46.46 KiB) Viewed 7199 times

With more settings than you can poke a stick at**.
You can customise;
Spoiler
  • The detection range,
  • The display range,
  • The colours .. of everything,
  • Distance from the edge of the map view,
  • The size of the scanner graphic,
  • The aspect ratio; from displaying the forward half to a full 360°
  • The shapes of the blips,
  • Different shapes for PCs, NPCs, Hidden Tokens, and Tokens off the screen.
  • If something is hidden behind a wall, display it on the wall or where it is actually located.
  • Which details are available for tooltips.
  • Should hidden tokens be blurred, how much blur to apply.
  • Which states are invisible to the scanner,
  • Which token property you use for elevation,
  • The units to display for range, and
  • much, much, more.
All through our modern and stylish interface;
Spoiler
snip2.JPG
snip2.JPG (83.28 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
Range calculations incorporate height differences, no more wondering if that flying thing is out of range, just click on it and check.

Im sorry, did I forget to mention you can click on the markers and get the gory details?

Do you hate hovering?
Tired of waiting around for text to show up only to find out you weren't hovering in the right spot?
Not with Motion Tracker®.
Just click on the mark and whatever details are available come up right there on the screen.
Spoiler
snip3.JPG
snip3.JPG (21.42 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
You can even choose whereabouts on your screen the motion tracker will be displayed.

Soon to be released in β, you can pick up our one-time special pre-release version here.
lib_motion_tracker.20200911.rptok
(337.83 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Brought to you by the legendary Wolph42, Reverend, and Melek, with plenty of assists from the MT community.

Known to be incompatible with Token Manager 2.0
**Only GMs can play with the fun settings
Last edited by bubblobill on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Motion Tracker - Just like in Aliens®

Post by Full Bleed »

The customization that you guys have put into this seems to be off the charts. Quite impressive.

But, I'm having some issues fully testing this...

I drag the Campaign macros to the campaign window.

Then I select a token and click the "Start Tracker" macro and I get an error:
You do not own that token
In my framework I rarely have ownership of tokens... Is that going to be a problem using this on whatever tokens I want as a GM?

If I give myself ownership of the token (or put in a GM bypass of that ownership assertion) I get this error:
   Invalid condition in IF(isOwnedByAll(tok)) roll option.
Statement options (if any): if(isOwnedByAll(tok))
Statement Body : macro.return = getAllPlayerNames() ; macro.return = getOwners("json",tok)
I was testing without a server running or players connected.

Couple other issues:

-Could not run RPEdit on the lib:motion_tracker without it throwing an error. Was going to track down that error above by could not load all the macros at once to easily search.
-Seems like the states tab is partially rendering in the Colors Tab of Settings.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

bubblobill
Giant

Post by bubblobill »

Okay,
This -

Code: Select all

Invalid condition in IF(isOwnedByAll(tok)) roll option.
Statement options (if any): if(isOwnedByAll(tok))
Statement Body : macro.return = getAllPlayerNames() ; macro.return = getOwners("json",tok)
seems to occur when there are preferences for a tokenId that does not exist like the leftovers from the test campaign.
Quick fix:

[r: setLibProperty("trackerSettings", "{}", "lib:motion_tracker")]
The States thing. I'm assuming you are seeing a slice of the States tab appearing underneath the selected tab (i.e. Colours)
The tab solution I employed is pure CSS which has some limitations. I didn't test it with lots of states so it has probably grown in height to the point it is no longer concealed. I will look into it to see if it should be hidden or scrolling at a lower height setting.

Good thing I called it a pre-release

[edit]
Fixed the HTML on the Settings form so that excess states no longer overflow into visible area.
Cleared the residual preference settings from the token.
Added a clear preferences button.

Updated the file in the original post.
Bubblobill on the forum.

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

bubblobill wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:30 pm
Good thing I called it a pre-release
No worries. Thanks for the continued work on this.

Unfortunately, still not able to test with newest version. Getting this when I click on "Start Tracker" or "Tracker Settings":
Unable to evaluate expression blipSymbolUp="▲"
Also, after poking around a bit, I may have found some potential problems...

1) There can only be 1 onTokenMove and 1 onMultipleTokensMove in a campaign. Not sure if you can dynamically add (and subtract) from existing macros/events (thought about doing that but never tried)... but, if not, then I think you need to change how this is currently setup. Maybe rename it to "onTokenMoveINSTALL" to signify that installers need to give it attention on the install. Either rename it to just "onTokenMove" or add it to an existing OTM.

2) I'm wondering if there should be a check in those events see if the Tracker is running. If not, abort out of the events so it's not triggering unnecessarily.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

1) There can only be 1 onTokenMove and 1 onMultipleTokensMove in a campaign. Not sure if you can dynamically add (and subtract) from existing macros/events (thought about doing that but never tried)... but, if not, then I think you need to change how this is currently setup. Maybe rename it to "onTokenMoveINSTALL" to signify that installers need to give it attention on the install. Either rename it to just "onTokenMove" or add it to an existing OTM.
this is the reason why I started with accumulting all dropins in the BoT in the frist place. I could in time move it in there, but not right now. I *do* think however that you can have multiple ontokenmove but its not something you want as it can lead to unwanted outcomes, not thinking that the tracker will suffer much from this though, occasionally wrong info.
2) I'm wondering if there should be a check in those events see if the Tracker is running. If not, abort out of the events so it's not triggering unnecessarily.
thats already happening. It only runs when the tracker is in use AND the token is on the current map where its activated. However you still need to trigger ontokenmove else you cant check whether its in use...

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Unable to evaluate expression blipSymbolUp="▲"
Any hypotheticals on why I'd be seeing this?

The issue seems to be in "execTracker". When I click on the motion trackers onTokenMove and onMultipleTokensMove it throws the same thing.

When I frame the bot_execAllPlayers line with pauses the first pause triggers, the error above pops, and the second pause never triggers. I have an execAllPlayers function in my campaign file but it's the same code as this one. The bot_owner function is new to me.

bot_execAllPlayers("updateTracker@lib:motion_tracker", tokenId, bot_owner(tokenId))
I tested out the dev campaign and I don't have the problem. And I dropped the lib in a random campaign I'd pulled off the forums (a 5e monster token campaign) and it didn't produce the problem either... but it didn't update the tracker after moving the token either (so there might be a problem there but not this one.)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

not my code. its not exectracker though its deeper: updateTracker and then even deeper as I can't find that line in that code.
I've encountered it in trackerJS but again: not my code. This is up to reverend to tackle

bubblobill
Giant

Post by bubblobill »

Oh great, just blame it on me.
Pretty hard to nail down without the ability to replicate.
The problem with tracking it down is that the line of code does not explicitly exist.
It could be coming from json.toVars or the JavaScript equivalent.

I can get it to spit out an error if I choose a HTML Symbol it doesn't like, but it seems pretty robust. I used the characters <, =, > which I was confident would mess with my HTML but it blithely carried on.

If the scanner is not updating then I expect it is failing in updateTracker, so before it gets to the [overlay('Tracker'):{ ... which would thankfully mean it is not a JS error.

It could be a problem if it does not like the symbols used as they are in the default settings which get loaded when token specific settings are not found. The settings form uses json.toVars on the stored settings as well so if Settings was bugging out it probably comes from there.

You could try using different symbols to see if it goes away; try running the following in chat to see if things get fixed. You could also try moving away from symbols and changing blipSymbolUp/Down/Same to strings like "higher", "lower", "equal".
Spoiler

[h: settings='{"theta": "",
"playSound": 0,
"scanVisualRange": 40,
"scanDetectRange": 60,
"scanUnits": "m",
"scanUseFacing": 1,
"scanZoomRatio": 1.5,
"scanPosition": 0,
"scanPositions": [[0,0],[0.25,0],[0.5,0],[0.75,0],[1,0],[1,0.5],[1,1],[0.75,1],[0.5,1],[0.25,1],[0,1],[0,0.5]],
"svgBGColour": "#105010",
"svgFGLColour": "#88aa00",
"svgFGDColour": "#396e0b",
"svgSweepColour": "#d4ea99",
"svgShortRange": 17,
"svgLongRange": 26,
"svgOutsideRing": 45.5,
"cssUseAspectRatio": 1,
"cssAspectRatios": "1/2,17/32,9/16,19/32,5/8,21/32,11/16,23/32,3/4,25/32,13/16,27/32,7/8,29/32,15/16,31/32,1/1",
"cssOverlayTop": 6,
"cssOverlayLeft": 6,
"cssOverlayWidth": 275,
"cssOverlayHeight": 168,
"cssControlsHeight": 22,
"cssBlipAreaBuffer": 6,
"cssBlipAreaRadius": 138,
"cssBlipColour": "#74ff7e",
"cssBlipPcColour": "#e3e31c",
"cssBlipEdgeColour": "#ff0000",
"cssTxtColour": "#60eb28",
"cssTxtBgColour": "#000000",
"blipOnVBL": 0,
"blipDeadVisible": 0,
"blipUndetectable": "noScan",
"blipElevation": "elevation",
"blipHiddenStates": [],
"blipPCDifferent": 1,
"blipShape": "dot",
"blipShapeHidden": "dot",
"blipShapePC": "dot",
"blipShapeNPC": "dot",
"blipShapeEdge": "spot",
"blipShapeAll": "",
"blipBlur": 0,
"blipBlurHidden": 2,
"blipBlurPC": 0,
"blipBlurNPC": 0,
"blipBlurEdge": 0,
"blipBlurAll": "",
"blipSizeBase": 8,
"blipSized": 1,
"blipTextRange": 1,
"blipTextRangeSOH": 1,
"blipTextName": 1,
"blipTextNameSOH": 0,
"blipTextSize": 0,
"blipTextSizeSOH": 0,
"blipTextLabel": 0,
"blipTextLabelSOH": 0,
"blipTextPC": 0,
"blipTextPCSOH": 0,
"blipTextElevation": 1,
"blipTextElevationSOH": 1,
"blipSymbolUp": "&#8710;",
"blipSymbolDown": "&#8711;",
"blipSymbolSame": "&#9552;",
"sizeScale": {
"Horizontal Hex": { "1/6": "0.408", "1/4": "0.5", "1/3": "0.577", "1/2": "0.707", "2/3": "0.816", "Medium": "1.0", "Large": "1.5", "Huge": "2.5", "Humongous": "3.5"},
"Vertical Hex": {
"1/6": "0.408", "1/4": "0.5", "1/3": "0.577", "1/2": "0.707", "2/3": "0.816", "Medium": "1.0", "Large": "1.5", "Huge": "2.5", "Humongous": "3.5" },
"Isometric": { "Fine": "0.5", "Diminutive": "0.5", "Tiny": "0.5", "Small": "0.75", "Medium": "1.0", "Large": "2", "Huge": "3", "Gargantuan": "4", "Colossal": "6" },
"Square": { "Fine": "0.5", "Diminutive": "0.5", "Tiny": "0.5", "Small": "0.75", "Medium": "1.0", "Large": "2", "Huge": "3", "Gargantuan": "4", "Colossal": "6" },
"None": { "-11": "0.086", "-10": "0.107", "-9": "0.134", "-8": "0.168", "-7": "0.21", "-6": "0.262", "-5": "0.328", "-4": "0.41", "-3": "0.512", "-2": "0.64", "-1": "0.8", "0": "1.0", "1": "1.2", "2": "1.44", "3": "1.728", "4": "2.074", "5": "2.488", "6": "2.986", "7": "3.583", "8": "4.3", "9": "5.16", "10": "6.192", "11": "7.43", "12": "8.916", "13": "10.699", "14": "12.839", "15": "15.407", "16": "18.488", "17": "22.186", "18": "26.623", "19": "31.948", "20": "38.338"
}}}']
[h: setLibProperty("trackerDefaultSettings", settings, "lib:motion_tracker")]
[h: setLibProperty("trackerSettings", "{}", "lib:motion_tracker")]
ding!
Alternately, you may have corrupted the settings JSON in some exciting way and the machine is very confused. Either way this will be an interesting test. Might have to implement a restore default defaults button.
Last edited by bubblobill on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bubblobill on the forum.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

bubblobill wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:27 pm
Oh great, just blame it on me.
Heh, I'm assuming that I've got something strange going on in my campaign that's getting in the way since I can get it to work properly on other campaigns. ;)
You could try using different symbols to see if it goes away; try running the following in chat to see if things get fixed.
Spoiler

"scanPositions": [[0,0],[0.25,0],[0.5,0],[0.75,0],[1,0],[1,0.5],[1,1],[0.75,1],[0.5,1],[0.25,1],[0,1],[0,0.5]],
"cssAspectRatios": "1/2,17/32,9/16,19/32,5/8,21/32,11/16,23/32,3/4,25/32,13/16,27/32,7/8,29/32,15/16,31/32,1/1",
"blipSymbolUp": "∧",
"blipSymbolDown": "∨",
"blipSymbolSame": "═",
"Horizontal Hex": { "1/6": "0.408", "1/4": "0.5", "1/3": "0.577", "1/2": "0.707", "2/3": "0.816", "Medium": "1.0", "Large": "1.5", "Huge": "2.5", "Humongous": "3.5"},
"1/6": "0.408", "1/4": "0.5", "1/3": "0.577", "1/2": "0.707", "2/3": "0.816", "Medium": "1.0", "Large": "1.5", "Huge": "2.5", "Humongous": "3.5" },
"Isometric": { "Fine": "0.5", "Diminutive": "0.5", "Tiny": "0.5", "Small": "0.75", "Medium": "1.0", "Large": "2", "Huge": "3", "Gargantuan": "4", "Colossal": "6" },\
"Square": { "Fine": "0.5", "Diminutive": "0.5", "Tiny": "0.5", "Small": "0.75", "Medium": "1.0", "Large": "2", "Huge": "3", "Gargantuan": "4", "Colossal": "6" },
"None": { "-11": "0.086", "-10": "0.107", "-9": "0.134", "-8": "0.168", "-7": "0.21", "-6": "0.262", "-5": "0.328", "-4": "0.41", "-3": "0.512", "-2": "0.64", "-1": "0.8", "0": "1.0", "1": "1.2", "2": "1.44", "3": "1.728", "4": "2.074", "5": "2.488", "6": "2.986", "7": "3.583", "8": "4.3", "9": "5.16", "10": "6.192", "11": "7.43", "12": "8.916", "13": "10.699", "14": "12.839", "15": "15.407", "16": "18.488", "17": "22.186", "18": "26.623", "19": "31.948", "20": "38.338"
}}}']
ding!
I get this error:

line 1:1597: expecting ''', found 'â'
Not sure why. Don't see that character anywhere.
You could also try moving away from symbols and changing blipSymbolUp/Down/Same to strings like "higher", "lower", "equal".
I did that and I *was* able to launch the Settings. But I get this when I try to launch the tracker now:

Argument number 2 "Square" to function "json.get" must be an integer.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

line 1:1597: expecting ''', found 'â'
IRC thats a message you typically get when an 'illegal' character is used in certain functions in MT the most typical are the open close quotes used in word, they render these kinds of errors and usually (but that might be just in my case and could be much more general) when used inside of json.
Argument number 2 "Square" to function "json.get" must be an integer.
seen that error also many times and made little sense but it usually was an issue with json... would be nice to know WHERE this issue pops up, if I understood correctly MT 1.8 traces errors inside the function, so perhaps you can run that version and see what the error is that get spat out.

bubblobill
Giant

Post by bubblobill »

Typo in the JSON. I fixed it in the original post. There is a "\" before the size scale object for Square maps.
Hopefully that fixes both issues.
Bubblobill on the forum.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:40 am
seen that error also many times and made little sense but it usually was an issue with json... would be nice to know WHERE this issue pops up, if I understood correctly MT 1.8 traces errors inside the function, so perhaps you can run that version and see what the error is that get spat out.
I would I love to run 1.8... but having unresolved issues with it, too. Two of the coolest things to happen to MT in a while (1.8 improvements and this) and I can't partake. :cry:

That said, I did get a UDF based smart doors plugged into my campaign with some nice customizations (a couple new doors including one secret type door with an adjustable vbl thickness so I can slide it perfectly into existing VBL and not give away where the hidden doors are, lock picking, lock states for PC/GMs, key support, listening at door, integration into my GM control sheet, etc.) ... so at least there's that. :p
bubblobill wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:40 am
Typo in the JSON. I fixed it in the original post. There is a "\" before the size scale object for Square maps.
Hopefully that fixes both issues.
I downloaded the latest rptok in the OP and am getting the same issues.

Changed the blip up/down/same symbols (can then start settings) but the tracker throws the square error.

Using: lib_motion_tracker.202009082143.rptok

bubblobill
Giant

Post by bubblobill »

Trouble with HTML symbols not staying in their encoded form..

This fixed my JSON
Spoiler

"Isometric": { "Fine": "0.5", "Diminutive": "0.5", "Tiny": "0.5", "Small": "0.75", "Medium": "1.0", "Large": "2", "Huge": "3", "Gargantuan": "4", "Colossal": "6" },
}}}']
ding!
New token in OP.
Bubblobill on the forum.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

bubblobill wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:25 pm
Trouble with HTML symbols not staying in their encoded form..

This fixed my JSON
Spoiler

}}}']
ding!
New token in OP.
Deployed new lib token. Ran OCL. Clicked Settings and it worked out of the gate! :)

Then ran Start Tracker and got the "square" error.

Opened settings again, didn't change anything but "Set Defaults" and then tried to Start Tracker. Got the blip character error.

Ran your new reset code (above) and that works now and fixed the blip character error... but the square error is still happening on Start Tracker.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I've found what's causing the problems: Token Manager 2.0

It's an old, once quite popular, drop-in utility for token editing. It's been sitting on my core lib map for a looooong time and I still use it when inspecting tokens. But it's definitely blowing Motion Tracker up. :/

I guess I need a new Token Manager...

UPDATE: In particular, I've narrowed the problem with Token Manager 2.0 (and Aliasmask's updated 2.1) to being its custom json.toVars function that came out many years before the "official" MTscript json.toVars function became available in 1.5.7. That function is used in a number of key places in Motion Tracker and the custom and official functions are not compatible. I'll post an update in the Token Manager thread to warn people to remove those functions from the drop-in (functions that it actually doesn't use.)

To the Developers of this sweet drop-in: While my "bug" posts in this thread have lead you guys to finding a couple small bugs if you want to remove most of my posts to clean up the thread I'd have no problem with that. I'd hate to scare some people off with the thought that this isn't stable. I will, however, probably still fire off some more suggestions as I think of them (like being able to lock the detector blip layout to what the screen is. ;))

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”