00 Return of Uchly Namen

Moderator: netjiro

netjiro
Cave Troll

00 Return of Uchly Namen

Post by netjiro »

-- edit 100523 --
The campaign has been completed for the first time. It took 21 short weekday evening sessions.
The entire set of campaign material will be made available on the gallery.
If you want to lead or play this campaign before the material is up, then please notify me.
------------------

The newbie campaign "Return of Uchly Namen" has gone live, and has had two successful sessions so far.

The campaign has been advertised before. We are still taking on players, for future sessions in this run, or for future runs and other campaigns.

The campaign, complete with the adventure, system, all maps both raw and with all the maptool tokens, poi, vbl, and trimmings will be available here once the first run through of the campaign has been completed.
If you want to have the campaign available before then, please contact me. It is 200+Mb as it stands (8 campaign files, 15+ maps), so you'll need to provide me with an upload location. It will be smaller once I have completed all the work and removed the "work files" (gimp xcf etc).

The game rules system has been tested in several more sessions before, but is still being tweaked and updated on a regular basis.

We are using:
maptools-1.2-b32 (waiting for that stable 1.3 release)
jarnal-968 (switched from 917 at session three)
teamspeak3 (gave up on the horrible skype instability)

I'll keep posting news about the campaign in this thread. This is also a good place to chat if you have something to say about it.
If you want to play the campaign yourself, you might want to stop reading now as this thread will contain spoilers.

/jimmy
Last edited by netjiro on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

netjiro
Cave Troll

Re: Return of Uchly Namen

Post by netjiro »

Sessions one and two

The first sessions are always a bit of a hassle with technical issues etc, that take up a majority of the time. The folks using linux have had no problems yet. Those using vista are encountering numerous weirdness and problems, although most are not related to the game tools. One guy running w7 gets disconnected every now and then from maptools, but has had no other technical issues.
It always takes a bit of time to get things set up and running, and getting people used to the tools. That's all to be expected I guess. I expect the future sessions to run smoother.

maptool-1.2-b32 (waiting for that stable 1.3 ... any day now ... ?)
jarnal-917
The stalwart heroes Mandak, Datarian Blood, and Nostromo have set out upon their first adventure as fresh Hero wannabes. The first stop is the small village of Sleepy Cove, where they after some time located the old scholar and wise woman Dyslexia Marigt. The sweet old lady explained the horrendous back story and the tasks the Heroes would be required to undertake as her employees. As she talked the glitter of future gold got a bit much for Nostromo, who embarked upon a resilient haggling campaign.

After the eager newbie Heroes had secured employment, they merrily started making the village a slightly less sleepy and safe place to live. In the end they stumbled upon the General Store, where they proceeded to purchase the bare essentials of dungeon hacking: bags and provisions, under excessive haggling and some name calling.
Once sufficiently supplied they set out towards the South Forest, to search out the Goblin Bandits.

On the the second day of traveling, they noticed the tracks of the Goblin Bandits, and the next day they moved in on the camp site. After carefully advancing close enough to the bandits' camp to hear the goblin gibbering and smell the campfire, the honourable Heroes stopped and talked amongst themselves. After a protracted debate they had finally devised an infallible plan.

A bloody battle ensues, where the Weapon Wielding Heroes slowly maim, kill, and slaughter Goblin Bandits left and right. The rest of the goblins finally realize their perilous predicament and flee towards north east.

What will happen next? Stay tuned for more gore, guts, gold, and glory!
Last edited by netjiro on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

logopolis
Giant

Post by logopolis »

The Living Campaigns forum is reserved for organized play campaigns like Living Forgotten Realms and Pathfinder Chronicles. I think the Dungeons & Dragons forum would be more appropriate for a homebrew campaign announcement.

netjiro
Cave Troll

Post by netjiro »

I do apologize for the misuse of forum space, and will take the thread to other forum, or off site.

description of "living campaigns" sub forum
Please put your "Looking for Group" posts and announcements in here if they apply to a "Living" campaign.
I remember there being other instructions in a sticky under living campains or elsewhere about pm:ing to be moved to suitable sub forum, but I cannot seem to find that now.

This homebrew campaign has nothing to do with dungeons and dragons, savage worlds, or world of darkness, so it clearly does not qualify to be situated in any of those.

Can you please suggest a good sub forum where to move it? And I assume I'll just pm one of the moderators to get it moved?

Would the session report-back be a better place?

Otherwise I'll just take it off site, elsewhere, if no suitable place exists here.

Thanks for the notification.
/jimmy

logopolis
Giant

Post by logopolis »

Ah, sorry, I assumed this was a D&D announcement. But there's always a suitable place for RPGs on RPTools.net. :)

If you're looking for players, Looking for Group is good for games that don't fit into any of the listed categories. Once your campaign is active, you can also ask the mods to create a subforum for you under Running Campaigns.

netjiro
Cave Troll

Post by netjiro »

Thank you. I announced on "Looking For Group" before the campaign went live, and we still take on players for this and future games.

I had missed the Running Campaigns sub forum. I've pm:d Azhrei to move it to where it is supposed to be.

Thanks
/jimmy

netjiro
Cave Troll

Post by netjiro »

So, now we are where we're supposed to be.

netjiro
Cave Troll

Session three

Post by netjiro »

The third session was short and depopulated as only Nostromo showed up. Datarian Blood had attempted a preemptive strike against the mad pig disease and lost, Mandak was awol, Piggelina was writing on her next research article, and an unnamed wizard was returning home from a consulting job in the far reaches of Nowhere.

Nostromo was not deterred by the lack of compatriot support, and in a gust of hubris the armour dwarf slooowly chased the goblins into their cave. After which he commenced to light a fire just inside the opening, hoping to smoke them out. Unfortunately the cave entrance designers and ventilation technicians had already thought of this eventuality and the clever plan turned out to be futile.

Nostromo then grabbed his trusted and heavy axe and shield and headed into the horribly stinking dark cave. Advancing into a side tunnel he spotted the bandit boss standing a bit aways and taunting by waving his derriere. As he pushed on, intent on bloody murder, Nostromo soon also noticed the other 5+ goblins as they emerged from their hideouts to ambush him.
Taking some damage from the initial assault of the numerous goblin bandits Nostromo slowly backs away into a tunnel which proves to be a much more suitable battle ground. During the tunnel battle he cleaves one goblin and decapitates another, leading to the much slower and more careful advance of the rest.
Just as our stalwart Hero is sure of his position he hears the rapid advance of a large wolf, and moments later the ragged beast comes leaping through the goblins for a violent attack.

How will this end? Stay tuned for more smoke, stench, and sneaky savages...

netjiro
Cave Troll

Post by netjiro »

Session four:

Nostromo, the armoured dwarf, readies his heavy axe as he backs away, down the cave tunnel. The goblins take a side step to let the wolf through to attack the invader. Rapidly the canine beast leaps into Nostromo and furiously tries to bite him. Nostromo just forces the wolf back with his enormous shield, and then makes a clean decapitation.
In the mean time the goblin bandit chief and what is left of his group has advanced to battle positions. They attack as the wolf dies. Nostromo takes cover behind his shield as the arrows rain down around him, then defends against a few attacks from the goblin chief, before giving him a lethal cut.

As the goblin boss MuchKlajn GoBoss dies he says:
Arrgh, me Die, Like stinky Pie
You die Too, You stinky Shoe
You be stinkiest of All !

After which Nostromo stomps out his life, crushing his head under one large boot.

The remaining goblins retreat into the cave to regroup, and Nostromo slowly follows.
A pitiful battle ensues before the archers realize that they really cannot penetrate his armour with their weak bows. Then they flee, loosing one to the axe of the advancing Nostromo.

As the goblins flee out of the cave Datarian Blood just logs on. The paladin blinks a couple of times where he stands in the sunlit clearing of the goblin camp, and realizes he now has four goblins running towards him from the cave opening. He stars moving towards them. Noticing the red clad paladin, the goblins steer left and escapes into the forest in a few rounds.

Nostromo and Datarian Blood start searching the stinking cave. The find a pile of loot and rubbish, three dead bodies, an offal pit, and some minor goblin belongings.
Looting some coin, packing their sacks full with smelly loot, they also investigate the swollen ripe corpses of the lost adventurers. Hidden in a secret pocket they find the RedStone, and realize they have just completed their first real Heroic Mission. They also realize that Nostromo smells really bad.

Later that day they are walking north through the forest, on their way back towards Sleepy Cove, when suddenly they hear a strange cooing sound. Failing their int rolls they have no clue what it is. Datarian takes some time to cast healing on Nostromo to get him back into perfect health.
As they prepare for battle a large IffyGriff appears through the heavy underbrush. They form up ready to fight the slowly advancing monster when Nostromo notices the fast running shapes of two smaller iffygriffs circling around them. The next round Datarian sees another circling iffygriff chick. They are getting a bit uncertain about the wisdom of engaging in the battle when all iffygriffs charge them simultaneously from all sides. A bloody and ferocious battle ensues. The heroes try to keep their stomach content which is trying to escape due to the oppressing stench of the horrible iffygriffs. Between regurgitations they attempt to chop the horrid little bird monsters into fine pieces.
Nostromos enormous shield and thick armour really saves his life as he for some reason turns out the be the target of all the critters.
After a few rounds they have managed to slay the large mother iffygriff, and the chicks make ready to flee. One dies as he is not fast enough to disengage, while the two others get away into the surrounding forest.

Searching the are they find a stinking nest and picks up three large smelly eggs, packing them amongst the other loot before continuing on their way back to Sleepy Cove.

Well back they take a room and some food at the "Sleep with the Fishes" inn, where Singalot the Bard is performing ballads and songs on the Heroics of Bling Swordslash. Bling himself is a bit tipsy, surrounded by dreamy eyed local girls.

The next day they sell their loot under a barrage of haggling, then proceed to deliver the RedStone to Dyslexia Marigt. The old scholar is very happy they found the stone, sorry about her previous hirelings, and pays them their seven gold for the stone.
Serving them milk and cookies she explaines again that the GreenStone is was supposed to have been delivered already by Coal-Black-George, but he must be occupied. Can the heroes please go to Eisenkrafs to pick up the stone? She also gives them one gold to pay for it.

The stalwart heroes now rest a day to do some shopping and spend their brand new XP.

netjiro
Cave Troll

Post by netjiro »

session five:

The Heroes burn through their coin pouches shopping for gear, before they set out north towards the mining village of Eisenkrafs to find Coal-Black-George.

Since only Datarian Blood and Anomali are in attendance the gang is lacking a tracker. They stumble myopically along the north road, until they a couple of days later get ambushed just after a pleasant lunch.
Four BiteRunners come charging at them from the eastern grass plains. The two heroes take cover by a rock, and quickly dumps their travel gear. Datarian stands ready with his sword and shield, and Anomali has hung his bow in favour of his staff. A furious battle ensues, where the very fast and mobile BiteRunners circle around them and make quick sporadic synchronized attacks. Ten rounds or so later Datarian is injured while they have managed to kill one of the monsters and wounded two others. The monsters start fleeing, but one of them leaps on top of the rock where the heroes have stashed their provisions. The beast makes off with a small sack of rations. All the critters disappear fast, back into the east grass plains.

netjiro
Cave Troll

Post by netjiro »

Session six:

The heroic three: Nostromo, Anomali, and Mandak head north after the assault and escape of the biterunners. The monsters managed to escape with a pack of provisions unfortunately, so the heroes must now share what is left.

They are on their way north to Eisenkrafs to talk to Coal Black George, who was supposed to show up in Sleepy Cove to sell the GreenStone earlier, but never came.

After a couple of days they reach the sorry mining village of Eisenkrafs. The air is heavy with smog, lost hope, and destitution. They wander aimlessly through the desolate village for a while before going over to the mining yard. There they talk with the offensive mining foreman Gebbhardt Goebbels, who says Coal Black George has not shown up for his shifts the last week or so, but that he doesn't know where he is.

The Heroes then go to the beer house and start handing out copious amounts of beer from the barrel Nostromo has been bringing along. The taste of decent foreign beer slowly manages to loosen the tongues of the grimy old miners gathered in the establishment. They say Coal Black George is a good miner, but that he has been missing for a while. Gebbhardt Goebbels, the boss, should know where he is. The rumour is that Coal Black George has been working in the closed down sections of the mine all by himself, and that he got eaten by the Worm.

Back at the mine yard the Heroes again talk to Goebbels. He says his men has searched the village and Coal Black George's hovel, but found no trace of him. Perhaps he has left the village? The Heroes refuse to believe that, and argue to be allowed down the mine. Goebbels says George sometimes went by himself to shaft 5-1 for some reason, perhaps he has met with an accident. Goebbels tires to warn them about all the horrible dangers that lurk deep in the mine, but they won't listen. At last Goebbels gives them a healing draught for George if they find him hurt, and sends one of his men to help them down into the mine and the closed down ares.

After reaching shaft 5-1 the miner rigs a long rope ladder and the Heroes descend into the darkness below. They emerge in a natural cave, that seems to have once been in use, but abandoned long ago. The rope ladder suddenly drops from above, and coils into a heap on the floor. The way back up just became much more difficult.
Having forgotten to buy light sources they have to make do with the meager ghostly light from softly glowing fungi growing on the walls and floor in small patches. This is quite enough for the elves, but Nostromo has a bit of difficulty. They set out into the cave.

Nostromo has to go walk his dogs, and takes his leave for the evening, while Mandak and Anomali push on. They soon encounter a large cave worm. A slow slobbering foul beast. While fighting it they get ambushed from behind by large spiders. Another worm soon joins the battle. After 20+ rounds they have slain the arachnids and the worms, avoiding both the spider venom and the acidic worm spittle.

They venture further into the darkness...

netjiro
Cave Troll

Post by netjiro »

Session seven:

Nostromo the armourdwarf and Datarian Blood the Heroic continue deeper into the natural caverns below mine shaft 5-1, searching for Coal Black George and the Green Stone.

They soon enter a large natural cave room, where they attract the attention of many shiny large bugs. Large for bugs at least, not really that large at all. While trying to cleave the annoying bugs they wake a large old ugly cave troll that slept further off, behind a large boulder.

During some 20 hectic rounds they valiantly defend against and wear down the monstrous troll, while being harassed by the many bugs that find gaps in the armour you never knew you had. They finally manage to corner the troll by a intercepting and blocking his escape route, and Datarian places a heroic final blow that kills the troll dead. Then they stay to mop up the bugs. Datarian have taken significant damage during the battle and is in poor shape.

Afterwards they rest and recover while Datarian slowly casts a few healing spells to get them back to combat readiness. This takes them around 20 rounds of healing and some 10 rounds to rest, after which they continue to explore the caverns.

Their final act for the evening is running into three large spiders. Although the evening has drawn towards night and it is time to go to bed.

netjiro
Cave Troll

Post by netjiro »

Session eight:

Datarian Blood and Anomali have gathered for an unusually long session. Three hours and over 100 rounds of bloody mayhem as they push on deeper into the natural cave system below shaft 5-1.

The Heroic adventurers resume their exploration at the point where they had just encountered a small group of spiders closing in. They quickly and safely hack the spiders to bits and pieces, managing to not get poisoned and only a bit entangled in the sticky web threads the spiders produce.

After the spiders they continue south and soon encounter a half dozen bugs. Nasty critters, and so they set about killing them off, only to realize that these bugs also comes with an old cave troll. The bugs nibble at the health of the Heroic Duo, and then suddenly the troll manages to land a heavy blow on Datarian Blood, pushing him to the brink of death. The heroes now flee for all they are worth, pursued by the blood thirsty troll and bugs.

The salvation comes in form of an old and rickety wooden bridge. The troll is unwilling to cross and Anomali engages in a protracted hit and run tactic to wear it down with his bow. Datarian strips down and starts casting his healing magic to recuperate, taking a long time to do so in his poor state of health.

After a good while the severely wounded troll has tired of the fruitless battle against Anomali and fled. Anomali has taken a while to combat the bugs and finally manages to kill them off with the help of Datarian. After a bit of resting they pursue the troll back to its lair and finally slay it for good.

They find a potential way out of the cave system, but realizes that they will need proper digging equipment to get it cleared in any reasonable amount of time. Then they loot the troll lair before returning to the starting room to continue exploring further off. Just as the heroes are about to leave Anomali makes a discovery...

netjiro
Cave Troll

Post by netjiro »

session nine:

Datarian Blood has joined forces with the template newbie Parry Hotter the Fizzler to continue the search for the GreenStone.

Datarian immediately walks into a deep alcove to the left of the main cave, where Anomali had found a rotten corpse at the very end of the last session.
The corpse shows sign of falling and hitting the ground hard. Broken bones etc. The reason he fell is probably the dagger sticking out of his back. As Datarian examines the corpse three angry bugs emerge and starts biting him. Parry Hotter has decided to go elsewhere and is slooowly making his way back to his mentor as Datarian valiantly kills bugs left and right. At the very end Parry Hotter steps around the corner and flings a force bolt on the last remaining bug. Splatt!

After some distasteful fumbling around in the remains of Coal-Black-George Datarian finally manages to locate the GreenStone. And there was much rejoicing.

The two Heroic Heroes wanders off in search for a suitable exit to this cave system since they don't seem eager to try to climb back up shaft 5-1 to the suspect mining crew above.
On their journey they slay two large worms and a bunch of huge brown spiders. When passing over an old bridge they feel the whiff of fresh air and their spirits are lifted by the hope of again seeing the sunlight.

But, just around the next corner waits a large black bug. What will happend next? Stay tuned for more Bloody Battles...

netjiro
Cave Troll

Post by netjiro »

Session 10:

Maras Blackhammer is joining the forces of Datarian Blood and Nostromo to push further into the cave system under mine shaft 5-1. They have now found the GreenStone on the corpse of Coal-Black-George, and are now looking for a way out.

They have just caught a glimpse of a black bug or two down the tunnel ahead, and make ready to hack them to pieces. The following fight is short and the heroes push on through the winding tunnels. They soon meet more black bugs, and realize that the bugs have an annoying tendency to clamp down and cling on to anything they get their mandibles on, slowing down the heroes and making the use of shields much more difficult. The annoying little buggers also start nibbling away at anything they have stuck themselves to.

The final wave of black bugs has a lot of them and the heroes get bogged down. Then the big black bug appears and charges Nostromo.
The powerful mandibles rip his shield from his hands, and his defences just got much worse. Maras manages to sling a powerful black bolt on the monster and does significant damage. The huge monster bug then misses several consecutive attacks on Nostromo, before it finally succumbs in a few rounds to the barrage of strikes from Maras and Datarian. After that it is just a matter of a few more rounds to clean up the rest of the smaller black bugs.

Just beyond the slaughter site they find the way out of the cave system, and an hour later emerge out on the side of the mountain, a few km from Eisenkrafs.

They now make their way back to Sleepy Cove, and get attacked by the most pitiful bandits one night.

In Sleepy Cove they give the GreenStone to Dyslexia Marigt, and get their reward.

They take a day to rest and shop, then make ready to continue their adventures by visiting Ho-Bliz Wayze and persuade him to sell the BlueStone.

Return to “Return of Uchly Namen”