DiceTool, usefulness of?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei, giliath

Square Woot
Kobold

DiceTool, usefulness of?

Post by Square Woot »

Hi all! I've asked a few pestering questions in the other forums, and Dicetool is next I s'pose!

As a DM, I prefer to see my players' rolls. Not that I don't trust them, but I think in general it leads to a more comfortable gaming environment. Similarly, I never hide my rolls from them. (I used to have a DM that always rolled the dice and cupped his hand over it, constantly lying. It got really boring to always have a critical hit at just the right moment.)

From my understanding, there's no way that Dicetool can be shared amongst the gaming group, is that correct?

Until the time that Dice and Maptool are integrated, can anyone recommend a dice roller that offers that sort of functionality?

Soveliss
Kobold

Post by Soveliss »

Just so you know, you can roll dice on the map tool in the chat box. Just type [1d20] or something. You can roll any dice type like so. And to add modifiers just do [1d20+6] or likewise. Hope i answered your question.

Square Woot
Kobold

Post by Square Woot »

Le gasp! I didn't know that, actually. Thankies.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

For details of the more complex actions of the dice parser go here

http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=dicelib

as they work in the chat box, they also work with most of the chat commands so try /help in the chat box for other commands that help as well (/gm that sends it just to the gm for example)
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

It is little known, but the oldest codebase here at RPTools is DiceTool, which was originally named DMTool, I wrote it about 4-5 years ago because I wanted to have a tool that supported more complex rolls than any of the other tools I had found. I also wanted something that took up very little of the screen. When we decided to do MapTool (and RPTools) I only made minor changes to the DiceTool codebase to pull it under the RPTools umbrella.

I have always considered it more of a GM tool than a player tool.
~Giliath

VgnFrnd
Kobold

Post by VgnFrnd »

Giliath: Apologies for cross-posting, but since you wrote Dice Tool....

Have you seen this thread about Dice Tool? If not, might you possibly add your thoughts? I would like to use Dice Tool if I can get it to behave as I need it to:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2869

Return to “DiceTool”