Setting Info and RPing

Moderator: Lethys

tygaran
Dragon

Re: Setting Info and RPing

Post by tygaran »

MikeLemmer wrote:(Also, any idea what we should ask the Oracle summoned tomorrow?)
A couple come to mind...

Are Altair and Zephyr still working together?

Is Altair planning to double-cross us?

Lethys
Dragon

Post by Lethys »

The Riven Arietis speaks. "If you thinking of tracking the other airship, maybe you should think things through a bit. For example, imaging your a group of wanted fugatives, your master just summoned a giant flying demon into the skies, and then suddenly an airship you've never seen before flies up to you and its crew boards? Use a sending? Would you feel any better if they said 'hi' to you first?

"As for having us use the sending, also remember that they tend to be rather paranoid, to put it mildly. If I told them I was comming in a brand new airship that I somehow managed to acquire in the last few hours might make them think I've been captured and forced into cooperation."

The other Riven interrupts "Wouldn't be the first time," looking directly at Arietis.

"Anyway... just saying it won't be as simple. I could still make a sending at ask for a rendezvous point, and try to explain things there."
It's a secret to everybody
7c610ad22d7089548d885c2cfc352d1a

MikeLemmer
Giant

Post by MikeLemmer »

"I can also do the Sending myself. We spared the two kids standing guard; with any luck, at least one of them's on that ship. I can mention you wanting to explain to strengthen our tale.

"Their other options are worse, too. They're all fading, and they know about the riven completely disappearing. They go on the run, it's just a matter of time before they fade. They can either escape into near-certain oblivion, or take a risk and meet the strangers crazy enough to go there in the first place.

"I can't speak for the rest of the crew, but I want to try. I didn't go through all this to save you just to wave off the rest."

Masoom ponders a moment.

"If yer on good terms with one of the kids that was standing guard outside, you could explain we captured the black orb & freed the rest of you, but there was a..." *looks back at the billowing smoke* "-complication before we managed to kill Altair."
-Mike Lemmer

RPGA #109520551

Lethys
Dragon

Post by Lethys »

He responds. "And who exactly were those two standing guard? You do realize that not killing somone isn't the same as saving them?

"Listen, after this last year, these Riven don't trust anyone. Especially not people claiming to want to help them, and who can only claim to have not tried to kill them yet. Plus I'm sure that you appearing just before everything went to hell is a sure sign that there is absolutely no reason for them not to trust you, or to even suspect that you had something to do with it.

"People have pretended to offer help in exchange for info before. They rarely kept there word. Church agents come to mind"

MikeLemmer
Giant

Post by MikeLemmer »

Masoom almost replies, then looks over at Joshua.

"...Point."

He ponders this for a few moments.

"Well, if they don't trust helpful, how about mercenary? How well do they know the faded victims? Tell them one of the victims was a child or lover of a pirate captain; when she found out, she hired the toughest mercenaries she could find, snuck into the base, and killed Altair. The eruption was one of Altair's projects he released out of spite to try killing them. Well, she has no quarrel with Altair's crew, and she researched the affliction after her kid/love faded, so she's willing to make a deal: they join her crew, live a bit longer, and earn some coin pillaging eladrin ships... or they can run and hide, hunted by everyone as they slowly fade into oblivion. I think that's an offer they can't refuse."

He glances at Verity a moment. "A riven captain should cinch the deal. How do you look in a longcoat and tricorn?" He grins.
-Mike Lemmer

RPGA #109520551

Lethys
Dragon

Post by Lethys »

Saulos approaches. "The initial move on that demon is about to begin. A small group of airships are set to move in, and gauge its actions, and if possibnle, attack. The comm orb channels being used for the operation are listened in and spoken through by the House Lords, but Sereth is willing to allow you to listen in and view the images as it is carried out. Though you won't be able to speak over it. If any of you are interested, I can set it up now."

Lethys
Dragon

Post by Lethys »

A collection of three images appear, each appears to be on the deck of an airship. The third is positioned in a way that gives you a view of the others. Far ahead, you spot Kerberos, floating above land.

Voice 1: General Xenias, the ships are in position.

A feminine voice responds.

Xenias: Helio 1, begin the first pass in evasive maneuvers. Helio 2 and 3, hold position. Remember, we need to figure out what this thing is capable of. Be prepared to abandon ship if this thing fires and hits you.

One of the front ship launches ahead at full speed.

Xenias speaks again, but this time with a slightly different tone, possibly indicating a different channel.

Xenias:Lady Aleramici, the flight path should avoid any collateral damage should it fire shots at us.

Xenophon: I wouldn't worry about that, the ships will block the shot anyway.

Xenias: Sir... We've set up our maneuvers specifically to avoid that. And we still don't know what it'll do.

Xenophon: We all know whats going to happen to those ships. Its only a matter of time.

Xenias: My lady, are there really no Aeromancers in the area the assist?

Aleramici: This operation was set up too quickly. There hasn't been time to mobilize additional forces, and it would be too risky to delay this.

Xenias: And Zephyr couldn't even contribute templar Nephthys?

Aleramici: He claimed she was in Praxis territory at the time, and unable to teleport in.

Voices return to the first channel

Voice 1: It seems to have noticed us.

Xenias: Slowly move away. No sudden movements unless it looks ready to attack. We must avoid startling it.

Voice 1: So far its just looking at us. Its head is moving slowly, mouth is closed.

A voice from the second channel interrupts

Venier: Then its time, prepare the ships to attack.

Xenias: Sir,the first pass isn't even finished, there is still more we can...

Venier: We'll learn when it starts fighting back. It their duty to die through our orders

Xenophon: There is much more to learn from how it swats then how it tolerates flies.

Sanudo: Quit wasting time, I'm not letting that thing near my lands.

Sereth: Well Aleramici, its over your lands, so its ultimately up to you. Whats your decision?

Aleramici: Its too risky to wait, we need to know what its capable of as soon as possible before it reaches a city. General, prepare the first strike

Xenias: Yes ma'am

Switching to first channel

Xenias: Helio 2. close in and fire. Helio 3, Circle and keep your distance, prepare to attack on my mark

From the third view, you can see the second ship closing it, and lets loose a large pulse of energy towards Kerberos. As it hits, Kerberos lets out its roar, face directly at the second ship. From the second view, you see the view on ship 2's deck. A crew member clenching his head in agony and falling to the floor, then in an instant, his body morphs into crystal.

Xenias: Helio 2, Whats your status?

From the other views, you see an aura expanding from Kerberos, tinting the air.

Voice 2: Helio 3 has lost power! We can't interface with the becons.

Voice 1: Helio 1 engine is failing

Xenias: Abandon the ships.

As the aura continues to grow, Kerberos lets out a prolonged roar. Its echoed with screams from the two remaining ships, until all screens go dark.

MikeLemmer
Giant

Post by MikeLemmer »

Masoom's visage turns grim as he listens to the events. As it ends, he slowly gets up and gives the freshly-made copy of the journal to Saulos.

"...Here's a spare copy for research. I'll be working on the ship."

As he leaves, he pounds his fist into the wall, leaving an indent.
-Mike Lemmer

RPGA #109520551

MikeLemmer
Giant

Post by MikeLemmer »

Planning for the Party Infiltration

Goals:
1. Infiltrate Melina's party as guests from House Seleucos.
2. Find intel on Mycenae's crystallization experiments in her manor.
3. Free Vega from servitude as Melina's "pet".
4. (Optional) Kill Melina and any Mycenians that interfere.
5. (Preferred) Don't let anyone realize we did it.
6. (Preferred) Keep House Seleucos's hands clean of the matter.

Knowledge check: What spells/rituals would House Mycenae use to figure out what happened after the fact? What defenses would they have? We'll need to figure out how to counter those.

Masoom: "We could go as human nobles of some country House Mycenae doesn't have strong intel on. We act like Seleucos is trying to 'politely' get rid of us. That could get Melina to warm up to us and, if things go to hell, we can pretend we're stealing stuff for our 'home country' instead of House Seleucos.

"I can transfer our armors' enchantments to other clothing; that will help disguise us. Once we figure out our nation and roles, we can buy new outfits and prepare them. Verity, if you wish, we could go on that date tonight; practice our disguises and discuss our plans over fine food..."
Masoom grins.

"We should also probably see if Melina has any vices we can exploit and consult with your spectral guide about potential surprises, Josh.

"In the meantime, I want to study the Black Orb and see if I can view the shadow plane with it like Nashira suggested; I'd prefer some assistance with that in case it attracts more vultures. I also want to send a message to Mandriva, asking her about Vela's reawakening and asking her to try sending Emerald our way; anyone have any issues with doing either of those?"
-Mike Lemmer

RPGA #109520551

Lethys
Dragon

Post by Lethys »

Part because I was bored, and part because, well, I said I'd post it, I've typed out a brief background on Lord Aram, one of the nobles you met at the party.

Aram is the current Lord of House minor Justinian. Originally he was snubbed for the title in favor of his older brother, and in response, left Lemuria without a penny, only to return a decade later having made a fortune through trade. Such success led his parents to reconsider inheritance, prompting the older brother to challenged to a duel over the title. Aram won handily, leaving his brother alive an disgraced in the humiliating defeat.

Aram officially received the title of Lord shortly after, when his parents died during the schism over sucession within house Seleucos.

Over the years, he has developed a reputation of bedding many Lemurian, and human, noblewoman. Some have called him a ruthless scoundrel, but most of those are suspected to be jilted lovers. However, the exact nature of how he accumulated his initial wealth remains only speculation, rumor, and gossip. Over the years on more then one occasion, he has ignored chances to increase his own fortune and luxury in favor of traveling.

Lethys
Dragon

Post by Lethys »

Vega has been rescued, Melina's secret notes stolen, and her spirit crushed. After a tense discussion, she has demanded you leave, but the group left with the feeling they planted the seeds within her.

Out front, the other patrons are still enjoying themselves, completely unaware of the troubles within.

"And of course, its only thanks to me that any of them managed to get here. They don't know how lucky they are that Lord Sereth my skills necessary to take care of the trade issues Miss Melina is so concerned about" you hear Kijani blather to an uncertain patron.

To the side, the voice of Aram speaks to you. "Is your business with her finished already? I'm surprised, though disapointed you all seem ready to leave so soon." As he finishes, his eyes move towards Verity, grinning. "Are you really in such a hurry that we couldn't spend a little more time together, I hardly got to speak to you at all."

MikeLemmer
Giant

Post by MikeLemmer »

Helen walks up to Lord Aram and wraps her arms around his. "Oh really? You hardly talked to me, either!" She leans in and whispers into his ear. "And I have so much to discuss with you..."

She slowly tries to turn him around to leave with her. Masoom just grins at the scene.
-Mike Lemmer

RPGA #109520551

Lethys
Dragon

Post by Lethys »

Since he came up a few sessions ago, I thought I'd typed up a brief overview of Xenophon's father. For the sake of brevity, I glossed over the atrocities he had a hand in.

Even then this feels a bit too long...

The reign of Lord Demetrios of Praxis

Lord Demetrios is often considered the symbol of the Age of Warring Houses, the period of time after the Ionian revolt where Lemuria lacked a true monarch, and each of the great houses stood on equal footing. While born prior to the revolt, he ruled over a large portion of this period prior to him starting the great war.

Demetrios was one of the most aggressive in reclaiming human lands formerly under Lemurian control prior to the revolt, and constantly in vicious competition with Lord Antigonos of Mycenae. While the treaty ending the previous war placed the houses on equal footing land wise, and left infrastructure in ruin all over, Mycenae still held considerably more influence in government positions, especially the newly independent Church of Karellen

High priest appointment was traditionally held by the reigning monarch, and the war did little change the previous makeup. Those priests, while hungry for their own power, still had ties to Mycenae, and found it easier to make arrangements. Demetrios was well aware of this fact, but was initially unable to make any overt action against them. Instead, he made it his plan to marginalize them, by using their own quest for power against them, as seen most famously in the Sicilian purge, and the Decelean revolt, where he provoked the church into causing havoc in Mycenae conquered lands.

But it didn't just stop there, he used his spies and assassins to stir up political, social, and ethnic turmoil in every territory of non allied houses he could.

Despite his efforts, the rate of progress was slow. Simply having more then Myceane was never the goal, he wanted the throne, and he wanted a legacy that no one would forget. He knew that if he couldn't take the throne in his lifetime, it would be up to his children to keep his legacy going. Over his reign, he fathered many children, he took the most talented mages and artificers he could find as wives, hoping to produce the best. Each child, from the moment they could stand, were forced to learn, were forced train, were forced to succeed at everything, and most of all, were forced to compete with each other.

Demetrios looked to Praxis history, the house known for their artificers, and discovery of complex magic devices that changed the world. It was through this, that he felt his children could prove themselves to him. But in the end, none of them lived up to his expectations. And as they grew older, without truly making a mark on the world, he disowned them. Inheritance lost, wealth of the house lost, they were on their own.

As time went on, Demetrios grew older, but had no heirs left to carry on his legacy. But by a quirk of fate, he took notice of a servant girl, to a visiting mage. The girl was caught by his guards sneaking into the Praxis private library. To his surprise, she wasn't merely messing around, but attempting to read through an advanced book on arcane theory. Feeling impressed that a girl with no formal education had a drive to study such subjects, he decided to take her in, and gave her everything he felt could help her succeed. This teenage girl was named Debian, orphaned at a young age, now adopted into House Praxis.

Within a few years, Debian exceeded all of his expectations. She made breakthroughs in arcane theory, pivotal in the processing and manipulation of external magic sources, and under the direction of Dementrios, she began applying them to ship engines.

Over those years, she met one of the discarded children, Mandriva. The two became close friends, and with Debians growing influence over her foster father, she was able to get Mandriva back into the house.

On the other side of things, Dementrios became more aggressive in his quest for the throne. His actions escalated into all out war between the great Houses, and despite his initial advantages, realized he needed something special, if he was to win. And for that, he looked to Debian. He saw that her discoveries could be applied to engines, lifting ships into the air, above enemy lands and fleets, and able to assault the capital, or able to sail without beacon towers, operation a navy through the devastated sea beacon network. Through his guidance, the Lambda engine was born.

To Dementrios, the Lambda engine was the key to his victory, old ships could be retrofitted and made into airships, and with a sudden strike, the war would be over with him the victor. But merely a week before it was ready, Demetrios was assassinated. The invasion plans temporarily put on hold, the lesser lords hoped Debian could still lead it. Two days later, she too was killed, by an unknown culprit. The last hope, Mandriva, fled the next night, and Praxis was left paralyzed.

The invasion was never performed, the war was brought to a close by the combined efforts of the new Lord High Priest Zephyr, and the diplomatic arrangments of House Cassander.

Leaderless House Praxis fell into its own civil war, the rest of the disowned heirs began making claims, with no official heirs left to dispute. After a vicious battle, Xenophon reigned supreme.

Lethys
Dragon

Post by Lethys »

Before leaving, Mandriva speaks.

"Her movements tend to be erratic and unpredictable. Sometimes she moves around constantly, covering large distances in short time, before suddenly changing direction and repeating. This can last for hours, and the only way to actually find her when she's like this is for her to come to you.

"At other times, she'll spend time in one place, but even then she might not stay more then a few hours, before bolting off in another direction. If she is antsy, it means trying to visit all of her haunts would be a problem, as when you reach the second, she could leave the third and head back to the first. Its my suggestion that you just pick one spot and camp there. Simply being somewhere makes it likely she may visit and check you out, better then blindly looking.

"She favors geothermals, cliffs, and high secluded points. For hopefully obvious reasons, I recomend the geothermals. The closest are a hotspring, an area dense with geysers, and one non geothermal, a waterfall. All areas are marked on the map, and if your too lazy to check, the hotsprings are the closest. I swear, I've seen her bathing in a boiling hot one before."

By the way, the geology of this region is similar to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_National_Park

The full image of Mandriva can be found here

Lethys
Dragon

Post by Lethys »

Reposting this info for easy reference. Originally found here. A list of names of the disciples, and associated colors.

From the book you ready, you quickly found the names of each disciple and the color each are associated with in the religion.

Aether (green)
Nyx (purple)
Phanes (red)
Thalassa (orange)
Nesoi (yellow)
Erebos (blue)

Karellon is in turn connected with white.

Phanes and Erebos were male, the other four female.

Return to “Antium”