Campaign Repository File- Dropbox Hosting

Please post questions that you think belong here in the parent forum for discussion first. Then use the "Report this Post" function to alert a moderator that the post/thread should be moved. Common thread examples should not include macro programming, but rather user interface issues or usability issues.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Do not conduct discussion here. Do that in the parent forum.
Boze
Kobold

Campaign Repository File- Dropbox Hosting

Post by Boze »

Hello!
I thought I would post this quick tutorial, it's my first one so be nice! :D

How to use dropbox as a host for your Campaign Repository File.

What is dropbox?
Dropbox is a website that can back up your local files by designating a specific folder on your desktop as "dropbox" any files within this folder are automatically backed up to the website. There is a subsidiary folder in this "dropbox" called "public" this is where you are going to put your campaign repository file so your players can access it.

What is a campaign repository file?
Coles notes version: A campaign repository file is a set of files (mostly images) that are used in a campaign. By hosting a repository someplace other than the GM's computer you can help speed up the image download time of your players, making the game run smoother in general.

Steps
1) Go to http://www.dropbox.com download the client then create an account during the install.

2) Once install/registration is complete you will have a new icon on your desktop called "Dropbox". Go into it and find your "public" folder. Now from here it is up to you how you organize your campaign repository file, you can have it in there, or perhaps organize like I do where I have a folder for each campaign.

3) Drop your assets folder + index.gz file into your "public" folder! (or if you chose to make a new folder for each campaign, throw it in there)

4) Right click on your index.gz file, look for dropbox, then click "copy public link"

5) Voila! Now you have the directory of your index.gz file in your clipboard and can throw it in your campaign!

Should you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Thank you!

Raoden
Dragon

Re: Campaign Repository File- Dropbox Hosting

Post by Raoden »

Great FAQ Tutorial, Boze! I'm finding it very helpful.

Question: If you have separate folders for each campaign in Dropbox >> Public, do you copy your whole assetcache folder into each of them? Seems like that would use up your Dropbox disc space awfully fast.

Also, where is this "index.gz" file? I don't seem to have any ... I searched my whole hard drive.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Boze wrote: 1) Go to http://www.dropbox.com download the client
2) ask around if anyone else has an account already and use said person as a referral. For each referral the account owner gains and additional bit of space on their account.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

Bumping this again, in case people assume jfrazier answered my questions. (His comment was a good point, but on a different subject.)

Can anyone help? I'd really like to start using Dropbox, but I can't figure out how!
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You can create a repository for specific images only by
  • starting new campaign,
  • drop all the images from your library on to the background. Doesn't matter where.
  • Once done, export to repository file and when you name it, name it to some zipped file ie (myRepository.gz or .zip).
  • Move file created (if not already there) to dropbox folder...
  • follow the directions above for link and adding repository.
I really want to do this myself with a fairly big set of images, but dropbox only has 250MB free which will get sucked up very quickly. I'm trying to see if I can get a direct link for filefront, but I don't think so. Actually, I'm thinking it's best to simply have the file available for friends, update the file rarely, have your friend download it to local computer.
Last edited by aliasmask on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

Boze wrote:5) Voila! Now you have the directory of your index.gz file in your clipboard and can throw it in your campaign![/color]

Should you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Thank you!
I don't follow this step in addition to the questions posed by Raoden, what exactly is in the clipboard the URL for you index.gz? OK, what do you do with it then. Do you also have your players do something with it?
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

mfrizzell wrote:I don't follow this step in addition to the questions posed by Raoden, what exactly is in the clipboard the URL for you index.gz? OK, what do you do with it then. Do you also have your players do something with it?
Ah, that part I do understand (I think). You open up Campaign Properties, go to the Repository tab, and paste the URL into it.
- G. K. Chesterton

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

aliasmask wrote:You can create a repository for specific images only by
  • starting new campaign,
  • drop all the images from your library on to the background. Doesn't matter where.
  • Once done, export to repository file and when you name it, name it to some zipped file ie (myRepository.gz or .zip).
  • Move file created (if not already there) to dropbox folder...
  • follow the directions above for link and adding repository.
I really want to do this myself with a fairly big set of images, but dropbox only has 250MB free which will get sucked up very quickly. I'm trying to see if I can get a direct link for filefront, but I don't think so. Actually, I'm thinking it's best to simply have the file available for friends, update the file rarely, have your friend download it to local computer.
I just open a dropbox account last night and the limit on a free account was 2GB not 250 MB.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Ah, that's better... yeah, I misread a screen about 250MB. It's for bonus space.

Return to “WIP - User FAQ”