MT1.3b87.02 Campaign Framework

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
Elorebaen
Dragon

Re: MT1.3b87.02 Campaign Framework (LATEST VERSION)

Post by Elorebaen »

lmarkus001 wrote:
Elorebaen wrote:I wonder if this sort of setup would be possible for your favorite weapon?

While it is, my basic response is, that is mostly redundant. Here is why...

First, the Attack macro remembers what weapon(s) you used last. So if you have a favorite, then it is most likely already there.
Second, the Character Sheet frame has a weapon list, so you can just click on your favorite weapon there to do that attack.

With that said, as you can see from above posts, it is easy enough to do what you want.

I am working on an attack frame (so it won't be modal like the current attack dialog) that allows you to have your attack window up at all times. This is not a rework to attacks, but should speed up play a bit as players can be setting up their attack before their turn and still have access to the map and other tools.

Thank you for the advice. I definitely like the idea that will allow players to prepare their attack ahead of time.

dantarith
Cave Troll

Post by dantarith »

Does anyone know if there is a setting somewhere to choose to use dex mod instead of str mod for ranged weapons as per the rules?

I created the weapon checked the "Ranged Attack" box and it looks like it is still using the str mod. So, i figured it is probably something easy I am missing somewhere.

The more I use this framework the more I learn the cool features I didn't even know I could do with it!

Thanks again!

aliasmask
Deity

Post by aliasmask »

Ranged Weapon should work for your toHit but, if it isn't a strength bow or a thrown weapon, you need to set the Strength Cap to 0.

dantarith
Cave Troll

Post by dantarith »

aliasmask wrote:Ranged Weapon should work for your toHit but, if it isn't a strength bow or a thrown weapon, you need to set the Strength Cap to 0.

Thanks that worked for the to hit BUT the damage is still using str.
I should have explained it's a projectile weapon (light crossbow) so there should not be any str bonus. Should I just use a temp mod to negate the str mod?

aliasmask
Deity

Post by aliasmask »

Well, it works for me. Here's an example of my setup:

Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (83.58 KiB) Viewed 577 times

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Yeah, the Ranged Attack check is what you need... that will use Dex to hit. Note that you can cap strength damage, but there are no options for strength penalties as ranged weapons suffer from those.

A Strength penalty, but not a bonus, applies to attacks made with a bow that is not a composite bow.

I do not have any direct option to deal with composite bows. You can fudge it though by subtracting the strength bonus from the weapon damage:

Weapon damage: 1d8-StrB
Cap to STR bonus: Uncapped

This combination effectively removes the Strength bonus from the damage (positive or negative).

Alternately, kill any character that uses a composite bow, that quickly resolves the need to deal with them!

patnodewf
Cave Troll

Post by patnodewf »

I think this topic is about adding DEX to damage dealt in place of STR.

Essentially, it's two steps: remove strength, add dexterity

It appears that if you limit your STR to 0 as mentioned earlier, you're removing it from the output which takes care of half of the issue. The other half is adding the appropriate DEX contribution to damage. If it's simply a fixed amount on a "per-hit" basis, change your damage field value. If your normal ranged weapon damage is 1d10 and you want to add more that comes from your dexterity, you should be able to just add the value in there as something like 1d10+3 for example.

If your dexterity changes from encounter-to-encounter due to buff/debuffs (or you just want to set-it-and-forget-it), you should be able to do something* like 1d10+'+DexMod+' for your damage field.

*(Disclaimer: i'm sure my "DexMod" code is incorrect, someone please either confirm/correct it for me...)
My form-fillable PDF Character Sheet for Pathfinder can be found here.

dantarith
Cave Troll

Post by dantarith »

ok here is the stats so you all can try it for yourself and see what ya get.
I still am showing a -1
============================================================================
Tobius Widdlewock, Male Gnome, Rock Sor2: CR 2;
Small Humanoid (Gnome); HD 2d4+6(Sorcerer) ; hp 11; Init +2; Spd 20;
AC:14 (Flatfooted:12 Touch:13);AL NG;
SV Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +2;
STR 8, DEX 14, CON 17, INT 12, WIS 8, CHA 13.
Skills: Bluff +5, Concentration +5, Craft (Alchemy) +4, Hide +6, Knowledge (Arcana) +3, Listen +3.
Feats: Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longsword, Simple Weapon Proficiency.

Possessions:
Weapons: Longsword (15 gp); Crossbow, light (35 gp).
Armor: Armored Robe (2 gp)
Goods: Coin: gp (100) (100 gp).
============================================================================
The rolls looks like this
Primary Target: Dire Wolf
HIT: 6 ( Light Crossbow ) DMG: 2

and here is the tooltip calculation
ATK Rolls: 2 BAB: 1 MultiAtk: 0 Size: 1 StatBonus: 2 (good Dex mod to Hit ok) etc...
DMG Rolls: 3 DamageDice: 1d6-StrB StatBonus: -1
Doesnt work with a neg number as you can see

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

dantarith wrote:ok here is the stats so you all can try it for yourself and see what ya get.
I still am showing a -1

ATK Rolls: 2 BAB: 1 MultiAtk: 0 Size: 1 StatBonus: 2 (good Dex mod to Hit ok) etc...

That is absolutely correct. All ranged attacks (except composite bows) SUFFER from weak strength. In this case, your sorcerer is a 98 pound weakling, and so his ranged attacks suffer!

See the following rules references:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#strengthStr
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability- ... ength-Str-

P.S. - The math in the above is happening correctly (it is providing a variant rule as it is removing the strength penalty... but this is exactly what you would do if it were a composite bow). The weapon damage you specified is 1d6-StrB. The StrB = -1. So the ROLLED value of 3 is equal to a 2 on the 1d6 minus a -1 for a total of 3. Then the Strength penalty is applied (the -1) so the end result of 2 is exactly what was rolled on the 1d6.

Also, if a quarrel travels towards a troll 4 times faster than the troll travels towards your sorcerer, how long will it be before your sorcerer is dead?

dantarith
Cave Troll

Post by dantarith »

lmarkus001 wrote:
dantarith wrote:ok here is the stats so you all can try it for yourself and see what ya get.
I still am showing a -1

That is absolutely correct. All ranged attacks (except composite bows) SUFFER from weak strength. In this case, your sorcerer is a 98 pound weakling, and so his ranged attacks suffer!

See the following rules references:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#strengthStr
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability- ... ength-Str-

P.S. - The math in the above is happening correctly (it is providing a variant rule as it is removing the strength penalty... but this is exactly what you would do if it were a composite bow). The weapon damage you specified is 1d6-StrB. The StrB = -1. So the ROLLED value of 3 is equal to a 2 on the 1d6 minus a -1 for a total of 3. Then the Strength penalty is applied (the -1) so the end result of 2 is exactly what was rolled on the 1d6.

Also, if a quarrel travels towards a troll 4 times faster than the troll travels towards your sorcerer, how long will it be before your sorcerer is dead?

Actually, per the rules (which is stated on the link you posted) a crossbow is NOT a melee weapon it is a ranged attack and thus uses DEX. It is considered a projectile weapon. Wizards has a huge page regarding this here. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070724a

It clearly states, "Your Dexterity modifier applies to ranged attacks you make with a projectile weapon. Your Strength modifier does not apply to the damage you deal with the weapon unless the weapon's description says otherwise.".

Per d20 rules & DnD 3.5 rules, I would NOT add a Str bonus to a gun since it has absolutely nothing to do with pulling a trigger BUT dex has everything to do with it.

Please dont think I am trying to argue with you! I am just trying to get this to work in my world in which I use DEX not Str for the Stat Bonus on this weapon.

You rock btw thanks for this awesome framework!!!!!!

P.S. The troll would never reach me. I'd fireblall and flame arrow his butt to death before he even got near me, heck I may even toast the quarrel in flight with all its arrows too just to add in another fireball lol And. if that failed and it was getting to close i'd hop on the closest rabbit whip it and yell GO lil bunny GO!!! :)

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

In fact, if you read the article you reference more closely, you will see that it expands on and exactly restates the basic rule I referenced. What it does to obfuscate the issue is it directly discusses crossbows but does not explicitly discuss strength and crossbows (it does explicitly discuss bows and composite bows). A house ruling can reasonably made to state that crossbows do not suffer/benefit from strength since crossbows usually utilize some mechanism for cocking the bow. Should you wish to use such a ruling, then setup your weapon as we have discussed...

Damage: 1d6-StrB
Cap to Strength damage: Uncapped
Ranged Attack: checked

This will neutralize the Strength bonus/penalty.

dantarith
Cave Troll

Post by dantarith »

Ok thanks! when I type StrB not Strb it works a lot better *bonk me*

oh and for those who also want to use Dex for a crossbow (or other weapons)

1d6-StrB+DexB = Happy day ;)

phlidwsn
Kobold

Post by phlidwsn »

lmarkus001 wrote:
This had to be broken into two steps like this because of macro limitations. I would prefer it to be a single macro, but was never able to combine a copyToken operation with subsequent token modification operations in the same macro process.

Its a bit obtuse, but what about modifying the original token as needed, doing the copy, then setting the original back?

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

phlidwsn wrote:
lmarkus001 wrote:
This had to be broken into two steps like this because of macro limitations. I would prefer it to be a single macro, but was never able to combine a copyToken operation with subsequent token modification operations in the same macro process.

Its a bit obtuse, but what about modifying the original token as needed, doing the copy, then setting the original back?

Players modifying baseline tokens gives me shudders. I added info to the output of the first macro that includes a link to run the second macro... I think that will help a bunch.

Dead_Jim
Cave Troll

Post by Dead_Jim »

Out of curiosity, has anyone else come across an error for the Wrathgon spell manager when it comes to feats? Seems that I and the Macro both cannot locate the lib file for them...

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”