MT1.3b87.02 Campaign Framework

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
kyuss11
Giant

Re: MT1.3b87.02 Campaign Framework (LATEST VERSION)

Post by kyuss11 »

I created a merchant token that gives the player the ability to purchase items.I use a inventory system that has the item created on it that you can just click to give to player,that way the player doesn't have to type the item out every time.It's a independent system but you need the inventory and market tokens and added campaign properties.One separate and a few added to the player token properties.You can add,remove with a macro that ask you for the info.
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-imag ... .png[/img]
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-imag ... .png[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url][URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-imag ... .png[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]

kyrillos27
Kobold

Post by kyrillos27 »

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Does it work within this framework? and I didn't see any download links. But provided they work within this framework, I'll definitely use them!

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

I didn't provide the links yet because it might be easier just to start a different post and I didn't want to intrude on this post.I just wanted to throw it out there and see if this is what your looking for.It should work with any framework since its a independent token.The market and inventory token just needs to be added with a few campaign properties for the player token.

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

kyuss11 wrote:I didn't provide the links yet because it might be easier just to start a different post and I didn't want to intrude on this post.I just wanted to throw it out there and see if this is what your looking for.It should work with any framework since its a independent token.The market and inventory token just needs to be added with a few campaign properties for the player token.
Sounds awesome! I would love to get my hands on it if you are sharing. =)

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

Experienced Users,

I am trying to figure ways to speed up and/or remove as much "lag" as possible from our Maptool sessions.

- Should everyone have a stack size of 3mb, or just the one running the server?
- What are the types of things that can speed up the use of Active Mods? It seems like for some of my players it takes forever for the window to pop up.

Any other tips are very welcome!

Thanks!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You may be able to get some better performance by reducing the stack to 2 if you can get away with it. Also, the mem you use on your client doesn't really effect the other clients. Each machine can know how much available mem they have by checking your system resources before opening MT (ctrl-alt-del: task manager | performance | physical memory | available. If someone is running win xp with 1 gb, they may be able to get 712 or 640 for max mem. Unfortunately, if you have 1 big background image, there isn't much you can do with that other than trying to reduce it's size by 50%, then stretch it in MT. That'll 1/4 the amount of mem needed for that image.

I do a little token image management where some of the object tokens out there at the various resources are waaay too big and I use another program to resize them to 200x200. Larger tokens and pc tokens I usually have at 400x400. If an image doesn't have a transparency, then save it as a jpg file.

This isn't so much an issue with the newer drives but on older machines with very large hard drives it may be worth while to partition it to smaller drives and if nothing else defrag it. You can save on first time map downloads by creating a repository so ppl can download from a 3rd party source rather than your client. It's usually faster.

It may be worthwhile to create a couple of large textures so you can paint areas in MapTool. I have a forest texture I'll draw then I'll draw my path removing any trees cut in half. Reducing map vision to 60 or whatever you deem appropriate will reduce the need for vbl. That or draw a tree line vbl 30 ft in from the road to represent vision from the road.

Here's a couple of textures I created of light forest and asteroid field, but I'm sure someone can put together something better.
Light Forest
Light Tree Texture Oak.png
Light Tree Texture Oak.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 6658 times
Asteroid Field
asteroid field.jpg
asteroid field.jpg (239.27 KiB) Viewed 6658 times

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

aliasmask wrote:You may be able to get some better performance by reducing the stack to 2 if you can get away with it. Also, the mem you use on your client doesn't really effect the other clients. Each machine can know how much available mem they have by checking your system resources before opening MT (ctrl-alt-del: task manager | performance | physical memory | available. If someone is running win xp with 1 gb, they may be able to get 712 or 640 for max mem. Unfortunately, if you have 1 big background image, there isn't much you can do with that other than trying to reduce it's size by 50%, then stretch it in MT. That'll 1/4 the amount of mem needed for that image.

I do a little token image management where some of the object tokens out there at the various resources are waaay too big and I use another program to resize them to 200x200. Larger tokens and pc tokens I usually have at 400x400. If an image doesn't have a transparency, then save it as a jpg file.

This isn't so much an issue with the newer drives but on older machines with very large hard drives it may be worth while to partition it to smaller drives and if nothing else defrag it. You can save on first time map downloads by creating a repository so ppl can download from a 3rd party source rather than your client. It's usually faster.

It may be worthwhile to create a couple of large textures so you can paint areas in MapTool. I have a forest texture I'll draw then I'll draw my path removing any trees cut in half. Reducing map vision to 60 or whatever you deem appropriate will reduce the need for vbl. That or draw a tree line vbl 30 ft in from the road to represent vision from the road.

Here's a couple of textures I created of light forest and asteroid field, but I'm sure someone can put together something better.
Light Forest
Light Tree Texture Oak.png
Asteroid Field
asteroid field.jpg
Thank you for the tips Alias. I'm going to try some of these and then see how they work come the next session.

Doktor Avalanche
Cave Troll

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Alias touched on vbl. That used to cause me major lag during play. Read the vbl tutorial and tips....but in summary draw a vbl box around maps so MT does not draw to infinity and keep vbl simple.

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

I already do most of the typical tips, like what doktor mentioned above, and my backgrounds are usually fairly small jpegs, no more than 1mb. The more I have thought about it the lag I have started to notice always happens after I have been running an online session for a bit (maybe an hour or so) and there are 1-3 players logged in. It almost feels like a memory leak or something, but it has never occurred when I am just prepping a campaign file.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

There is a FOW bug that my libplayers drop-in fixes. You can fix it manually by hitting ctrl-shift-o to clear the soft FOW or right click | Expose | "Only current visible" if you start to experience lag when moving a token. Big open rooms with lots of VBL can also cause some lag which can't really be avoided. My only suggestion is to draw and don't erase vbl lines separating the large area and areas connected to large area.

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

aliasmask wrote:There is a FOW bug that my libplayers drop-in fixes. You can fix it manually by hitting ctrl-shift-o to clear the soft FOW or right click | Expose | "Only current visible" if you start to experience lag when moving a token. Big open rooms with lots of VBL can also cause some lag which can't really be avoided. My only suggestion is to draw and don't erase vbl lines separating the large area and areas connected to large area.
Alias, is your drop-in fix available? Thanks.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Elorebaen wrote:
aliasmask wrote:There is a FOW bug that my libplayers drop-in fixes. You can fix it manually by hitting ctrl-shift-o to clear the soft FOW or right click | Expose | "Only current visible" if you start to experience lag when moving a token. Big open rooms with lots of VBL can also cause some lag which can't really be avoided. My only suggestion is to draw and don't erase vbl lines separating the large area and areas connected to large area.
Alias, is your drop-in fix available? Thanks.
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 15#p225543

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

Thanks alias!

kyrillos27
Kobold

Post by kyrillos27 »

Today, I spent easily 12 hours trying to figure out if this fw has a statblock importer for DnD 3.5. Not Pathfinder. And then, from what I have found, those that are there are not specific to what I should use or are geared towards monsters (which isn't needed because of IMarvin).

This is what I am using:
E-Tools, with many of CMP's add-ons
PCGen, 5.14.1, with CMP's add'l resources
(I use the older one simply because of CMP's resources that can't be updated since they lost a contract with WOTC)
I prefer PCGen 6, but I have players who like the Complete Series, so PCGen 5.14 is preferred, but for NPC usage, PCGen 6 is great.

So a few questions, other than the obvious "How do I do this?"
1- What programs should I be using?
2- What will be missing and still need to do manually?
3- Is there a good way to manually create a rough macro real quick?
4- While I'm thinking about it, is there any sort of handout for a player detailing what to do when setting up a token and the order in which to do it?

Thank you!

kyrillos27
Kobold

Post by kyrillos27 »

Regarding the set random HP macro, it is producing funny results for me. It changes the HP every time I roll the mouse over the token, so if MaxHP is 1d8, it could be any number 1-8, causing obvious problems (ie. when is it dead?).

Code: Select all

[H: tHPmax = max( Level,  ( roll(Level, 8) + (ConB * Level)))]
This change is a bit crude, but it gets the job done, and doesn't deal with additional information boxes. I like it because IMarvin uses level as the hit dice. While it doesn't address, say, a Wizard's MaxHP, it is better because it provides certainty.

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”