Tokenlab: Pathfinder Herolabs -> Maptools converter

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
sozin
Cave Troll

Re: Tokenlab: Pathfinder Herolabs -> Maptools converter

Post by sozin »

I'm gearing up for a 0.19 release sometime in the next few weeks. The features I'm looking at are

- make it easier to do HP management on tokens(a "-HP" and a "+HP" button)
- make damage to tokens private to GM so players can't game the system
- make it easier to create temporary bonuses to stats
- add a barbarian rage button

any other ideas/suggestions appreciated!

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

sozin wrote:I'm gearing up for a 0.19 release sometime in the next few weeks. The features I'm looking at are

- make it easier to do HP management on tokens(a "-HP" and a "+HP" button)
- make damage to tokens private to GM so players can't game the system
- make it easier to create temporary bonuses to stats
- add a barbarian rage button

any other ideas/suggestions appreciated!
2. You may want to make this a feature that can be turned on/off so it gives the GM/Group a choice on whether they want the damage to show.
3. You may want to talk to Aliasmask as he has a way different from how Lindsays works to make this easy and work across the board for everything. i.e. Stats/Init/Weapons/Magic Items
4. Rage should work via the stats i.e. It should apply a temp stat and then apply the additional HP or what have you based on the Rage feature. This should then affect the HP macro and possibly even apply fatigue when it goes off.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

ziltmilt
Dragon

Post by ziltmilt »

I'm confused ... is this a whole new Pathfinder framework or is this an importer to take Herolab statblocks into the existing PF framework? Hopefully, you'll say it's the latter.

It looks like I just start Maptool and everything I'll need to use this is in the campaign file. Do I have that right?

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

It looks like I just start Maptool and everything I'll need to use this is in the campaign file. Do I have that right?
You do!
I'm confused ... is this a whole new Pathfinder framework or is this an importer to take Herolab statblocks into the existing PF framework? Hopefully, you'll say it's the latter.
It is its own standalone framework. It is not compatible lmarkus001's MT framework. There are a lot of reasons why this is true, but the shortest one is that I am both too lazy and too paranoid to have dependencies on code that I don't control. One day (hopefully when Javascript is the official MapTool macro programming language), it will be possible to build out a Unified Pathfinder Framework, but until that I'm focusing purely on keeping TokenLab simple and 99% HeroLab output driven.

ziltmilt
Dragon

Post by ziltmilt »

I'm about to start a new online game, and I've got quite a few old tokens from LMarkus' framework. It's got a lot of bells & whistles, but it's not the easiest thing to use.

Do you have documentation on your framework? I'm wondering which framework I should use.

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

Sure. The documentation can be found here.

Short story: TokenLab has support for a lot of the basic activities you do as a GM. All of a imported PC/NPC's weapons, saving throws, hit points, armor class, spells, tracked resources, and skill checks are imported into MapTool. These things are accessed by clicking on their button representation on the 'Selected' token (or 'Impersonated') token in MapTool.

For example:

The 'generic' area contains the basic stuff: hit points, initiative roller, saves. 'Powers' contains all the attacks. Critters with more than one attack per round get multiple buttons; Inaris here has three attacks from her +5 greatsword, so that's what the numbers '1', '2' and '3' mean. Inaris has feats, traits, and spells, which can be browsed by clicking on their buttons. It imports the creature's vision as well, in case you use line of sight/darkness. It's basically What You See Is What You Get.

EDIT: if you just want to play around with these features, go into the 'Grassland' map of the campaign file that ships with TokenLab. There is a handful of tokens in there to try it.
LMarkus' framework has a lot more understanding about the 'rules' behind Pathfinder. TokenLab doesn't - it is pretty much a straight up dump out of HeroLab into MapTool, in a easy to use package.

flash42
Kobold

Post by flash42 »

Is development work still being done on this?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

This looks very interesting, I just got PF for HL and going to take a look. Have you talked with Lone Wolf about maybe getting this more integrated into HL? I File->Save As Token right in HL would be awesome! I've talked with the owner on several occassions at GenCon and he's a great guy and very easy going. I could use this for Shadowrun and WoD to! :)
-Jamz

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

Sorry for the late reply!

Yes, development work is still being done, but it has slowed down, because I feel I'm getting close to the natural edge of what I can accomplish with it. People have asked for some very reasonable features (power attack, barbarian rage, etc), and the issue I'm facing is that to implement these features I need to write Rules Aware Code. Because the Pathfinder feat/class ability list is so large, the thought of hand implementing the Pathfinder rules set using the MapTool scripting language makes me me quiver in fear.

It would be much easier to do if the MapTool scripting language were a real language (Javascript, say), because then I could hook up a Java rules engine + a Domain Specific Langauge (DSL) to TokenLab to allow the user community to add their own features without needing me.

With regards to integrating it with HeroLab: I've had some conversations with Rob (Herolabs prez) about this at Paizocon. We'll see if it gets somewhere.

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

Rolled out version 0.21.

NPC dice rolls are now private. Also, overhauled how critical crits are handled. (A nasty bug lurking in there.)

Lifer4700
Cave Troll

Post by Lifer4700 »

sozin wrote:Rolled out version 0.21.

NPC dice rolls are now private. Also, overhauled how critical crits are handled. (A nasty bug lurking in there.)

I just discovered your utility yesterday, and I am quite impressed! It is exactly what I need/want to start using maptool for my campaign, since I do all character management with HeroLab.

However, I was encountering that stack overflow every time a crit was rolled. I was going to post the bug to this thread when I saw you had updated it already, so I grabbed 0.21, and that issue is gone!

I have been dabbling with MapTool for a while now, trying to decide if I want the power of MapTool's vision and fog, versus the simplicity of setup and great, gm friendly die rolling and damage management of d20Pro. I had been leaning toward the power and flexibility (and cost) of MapTool, of course, but the complexity of setup and the "outdatedness" of the macro language had me hesitating. (bring on the 1.4 Javascript, please!)

Anyway, I had wondered why everyone was processing stat blocks instead of reading the XML directly, to the point where I was about to dust off my old programming skills and see if they still worked. But there is no need now. Thank you for taking the time to work on this, and share with the rest of us!

I do, unfortunately, have two other issues to report. They would only be noticeable under certain circumstances (my crazy players cause all kinds of problems).

1)
Create a character in HeroLab that dual wields, and give them the same weapon type in each hand. Purchase two short swords, for instance, check one for 1st, the other 2nd. HeroLabs reports everything properly, and the XML reports them separately as well, but only one button is created on the token macro. Not surprisingly, only one corresponding weapon is created in the WeaponJSON.

In the XML, there is a property in the <weapon> tag called "equipped" that can have values of 'mainhand', 'offhand', or 'bothhands'. Perhaps append something to the weapon name to keep them separate? "Short sword (main)" "Short sword (off)" for instance?

[EDIT: I see the weaponJSON already tracks the "equipped" property, it is apparently just not expecting two weapons of the same name, and it overwrites. It is only showing the offhand, which is listed 2nd in the XML ]

2)
Also, I noticed that the "Sword, Bastard" is coming through only "Sword" in the weaponJSON, and the macro. Perhaps the comma?
Last edited by Lifer4700 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I should change my profile name to Freddy because JSON and I don't quite get along yet.

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad you are finding it useful.

Both #1 and #2 make sense and are things I can fix.

Lifer4700
Cave Troll

Post by Lifer4700 »

Excellent!

Now, I just need to file an Enhancement Request to Wolf Lair to get equipment sets added to HeroLabs. (PCGen has them, but not really anything else worthwhile for Pathfinder when compared to HeroLabs, IMO)

It would be nice to create various sets, like "Ranged", "Dual Wield", "Single Weapon", and "Close Quarters", for instance. I know they weren't a consideration because it is simple to change the 1st and 2nd checkboxes on the Weapons tab, and it is assumed that the player will have their laptop with HeroLabs running (the In-Play, Adjust, and Condition tabs give that away). I certainly play that way when there's no VTT involved - it works well having a living character sheet, but for output, it would be nice to have the groups shown with all bonuses correctly calculated.
I should change my profile name to Freddy because JSON and I don't quite get along yet.

sozin
Cave Troll

Post by sozin »

Ok, both the weapon issues mention above should be fixed, downloadable from the usual location. For dual-wield, if you have two daggers, the primary will be "Dagger", and the offhand will be "Dagger (offhand)".

(Note that since this is just a simple set of fixes, you really only need the TokenLab.jar file. Stash it in the TokenLab/jars folder (overwriting the one that is there.) Download link.

Lifer4700
Cave Troll

Post by Lifer4700 »

That fixed both issues! I'm happy now.

Now I get an extra dagger on everyone (since ALL my players like to carry a few extra on them to throw if needed), but I can delete those...

Dagger
Dagger (no)

I told you my players were a pain, didn't I?

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”