[D&D4E Framework] Blakey's Framework

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Doc_Waldo
Giant

Re: [D&D4E Framework] Blakey's Framework

Post by Doc_Waldo »

Ok. Thanks, that worked in getting me to get everything set and build. However, I am still running into the same problem I had previous. When I get to point to save the token, I have no place to put the name, see below.
Screen shot 2010-11-09 at 2.16.01 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-09 at 2.16.01 PM.png (81.81 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
--DOC

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Weird!

I don't really have a clue, I'm afraid. The token saving is simply using a very standard JFileChooser to select the filename. As far as I know the OS should provide the suitable file chooser.

On windows7 mine looks like this:
savedialog.jpg
savedialog.jpg (73.6 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
Maybe one of the Java experts on the boards can help. This is my code to save the RPTOK (excuse the strange indentation - the forum has done that).

Code: Select all

private void saveNPC() {
	try {
	    JFileChooser chooser = new JFileChooser(TokenMaker.npcSavePath);
	    chooser.addChoosableFileFilter(new FileNameExtensionFilter(
		    "MapTool Token", "rptok"));
	    int returnVal = chooser.showOpenDialog(this);
	    if (returnVal == JFileChooser.APPROVE_OPTION) {
		File saveFile = chooser.getSelectedFile();
		if (!saveFile.getName().endsWith(".rptok")) {
		    saveFile = new File(saveFile.getAbsolutePath() + ".rptok");
		}
		NPCToken token = new NPCToken(myNPC);
		token.setPortrait(portraitFile);
		token.setTokenFile(saveFile);
		token.setTokenName(saveFile.getName().replace(".rptok", ""));
		token.save();
		TokenMaker.npcSavePath = chooser.getCurrentDirectory()
			.getAbsolutePath();
	    }
	} catch (Exception e) {
	    System.err.println("Error saving your NPC: " + e);
	}
    }
I'm trying to use java standard classes wherever possible - and I'm not doing anything I'd think was unusual here, but maybe an expert can show me where I'm going wrong?

Sorry this is giving you so much hassle Doc. :oops:

One question: Do you now have a ddi.dat and a .status file in your home directory/.tokenmaker folder?

Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Just a note to say that this Framework is still alive and well - although I think my group is the only group using it. :)

A new version (v1.17) was posted to my web site today (www.rodinia.info/downloads.php) which includes a Readme file to help clear things up.

Cheers
Blakey

luethian
Kobold

Post by luethian »

just found this. sounds like it is exactly what i am looking for. new to rptools. So , for what it is worth, i believe my group will be using it also. :D

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Kewl. Any issues, let me know... Not saying I'll be able to help but I'll try...

Longshot
Giant

Post by Longshot »

Hey there. I want to try out this frame work, but hit a snag.
-I downloaded the zip file, extracted the files
-I started maptool-1.3.b86 with a stack size of 8 ( tried memory min/max of both 64/1024 and 1000/1500)
-Opened Campaign props to import BlakeyPropertiesv1.17.mtprops

Got an error on import(This is not complete, but they are two notable lines from the error):
com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.StreamException: : Stream closed
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Stream closed

Not sure how to proceed.

Oh also of note: I have been using maptools for about a year (Been using Rumble's framework). I have made custom changes, adapted drop-in tools, etc, so I would guess I am an intermediate level user.

Edit: Also also of note; I tried this with both XP Pro SP3, and Win 7

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Hi,

Can you try downloading v1.3b70 and give that a whirl? That's the version of MT I'm using annd the campaign properties were saved with that. I'm not sure if there are incompatibility issues with using campaign properties in b86 which were created with b70.

Cheers
Blakey

Longshot
Giant

Post by Longshot »

Using Build 70 did work. I thought I'd report back on some things I tried, and ask some questions.

Things I tried out:
-I tried importing a Psion, it did not work (but I know you mentioned it probably wouldn't)
-I tried some combat with imported PCs and NPCs, it threw an error: Unknown library token Lib:Blakey. I fixed this by bringing the Lib token to the same map I was fighting on.
-I noticed the PC tokens were set to NPC, so I changed them to PC. After that, the Character Sheet didn't work on mouse-over, so I put them back to NPC. This, unfortunately, seems to mean I can't use the Vision Blocking Layer to separate what the PCs see from what the NPCs see. Is that something your group does not use?

Questions:
-The Monster I imported does 2 Ongoing damage on a hit. While I can put the Ongoing Damage state on a token, is there a means of noting that it should be for 2 damage? How do you guys handle that?
-If I can't import a character, is there no way to manually build one? Create the Powers, etc?

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Longshot wrote:-I tried importing a Psion, it did not work (but I know you mentioned it probably wouldn't)
Yeah, I'm not surprised at all by that. I've never tried to figure out how psionics might be supported as we've never had a psionic character in any of our campaigns.
-I tried some combat with imported PCs and NPCs, it threw an error: Unknown library token Lib:Blakey. I fixed this by bringing the Lib token to the same map I was fighting on.
As far as I'm aware you should be fine as long as you have that token on any one map in yuor campaign. And make sure you don't have multiples as I believe this can screw things up.
-I noticed the PC tokens were set to NPC, so I changed them to PC. After that, the Character Sheet didn't work on mouse-over, so I put them back to NPC. This, unfortunately, seems to mean I can't use the Vision Blocking Layer to separate what the PCs see from what the NPCs see. Is that something your group does not use?
We do use this, yes. What you need to do is make all the PC tokens PCs as you first did. Then in order to pop up the PC character sheet get them to select the PC token and press F12. This is the key which is used to pop up PC tokens.

If you enable the "Selected" window in MapTool you'll see a macro on each token - one for each power they have and at the top in blue one which is labelled "Character Sheet (F12)". That's the macro which sets up the PC charactter sheet and it's fired by pressing F12.

This means the DM and the players use slightly different ways to use tokens - the DM uses mouse over and the PCs use F12. You could easily change this by changing the Campaign Properties about if you know what you're doing...
-The Monster I imported does 2 Ongoing damage on a hit. While I can put the Ongoing Damage state on a token, is there a means of noting that it should be for 2 damage? How do you guys handle that?

We just remember it. If we need to remember it from session to session, we stick a note on the token Notes field.
-If I can't import a character, is there no way to manually build one? Create the Powers, etc?
Not easily. but as I said, if you enable the "Selected" window you can see what you are trying to build. You need to fill in all the Properties on the token, and then you need one Macro for "Character Sheet (F12)" which you could copy from another PC and hack - although you'll need good MapTool-Macro-Fu to do that. The other tokens are for usable powers and all they do is pop up the HTML in the "Compendium" frame so if you have the rules easily to access suring a game you don't really need this part.

What do you think of the framework overall?

Longshot
Giant

Post by Longshot »

I think this framework could be a great time saver for DMs. At this stage, it seems to be more that one would need to be the right user and group to really get the most out of it. My Map-Fu is good, but not strong, which is a factor in using it at this point. I can that I will be following up on future developments here.

buttonpusher
Kobold

Monster Import Error - [D&D4E Framework] Blakey's Framework

Post by buttonpusher »

I'm going through all the Monsters in my upcoming adventure. I stumbled across this error when importing a token made via the NPCMaker. See the attached image for the actual error. Basically, it is pulling down an html tag ( ) and then passing that into the .rptok save file. Maptool seems to have a problem with this and won't allow the token to be imported. Any thoughts on this? Thanks - otherwise, this seems to be a fantastic framework. I'm looking forward to putting it to use.
Attachments
The import error in Maptool. It doesn't like the &npsp; being pulled from DDI info.
The import error in Maptool. It doesn't like the &npsp; being pulled from DDI info.
maptool-blakey-import-error.png (123.98 KiB) Viewed 6334 times

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

(Wow. Was it really necessary to copy/paste a window wider than the Grand Canyon? :shock: Such wide posts make it difficult to read...)

In any case, it looks like NPCMaker (I'm not familiar with it) is putting bad XML into the tokens that it's generating. Without seeing the RPTOK and/or the XML, there's no way of knowing what the problem is. But I would suggest you file a bug report with the author of NPCMaker. Your only solution will be to edit the XML and fix the problem and that's editing-intensive process.

(The bug is that   is not valid XML. The correct XML to use would be  . My bet is that the NPCMaker author just didn't call htmlencode()* on the string before generating the XML.

*Or whatever the function is called in the language used for that app.)

buttonpusher
Kobold

Post by buttonpusher »

Sorry about the width - that's how the error drew on the screen. It didn't wrap the longer line. And I didn't realize that I should reduce the file's with.

I was able to fix it. Edited the content.xml file within the rptok file. Found & replaced the   with  . Worked like a charm. Thanks.

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

Hi Blakey. I was wondering whether you are still actively developing this framework or do you consider it done as is?
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Speaking selfishly, it would be great if TokenMaker could spit out a Rumble token as discussed in that thread. Speaking even more selfishly, it would be awesome if it could spit out an MPB token ... but that's more my problem than yours. Regardless, I tried TM and join my voice to the many that gaped in awe. Mega-cool!
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”